I am very dissapointed with Berger bullets regarding the 338 hybrid bullet.

phorwath, I was typing without the brain connected and have revised my post accordingly :)

I use a pressure trace on my barrel, but can't correlate to jamming bullets into land using a sabot...so I will defer to your greater knowledge in this area.

edge.

September 2007 Barnes Bullet-n | Barnes Bullets

this is a Barnes article on pressure versus seating depth based on tests and actual pressure readings. I posted their summary statement.

In the overall perspective, we can say that generally pressure will decrease as the bullet is moved farther from the lands. Generally, we can say that velocity will decrease as pressure decreases the farther the bullet is seated from the lands. And generally, we can say that accuracy is depending on bullet placement from the lands dependant on the rifle the bullet is fired from.

BH

Thank you Eric! I for one am glad to hear you going to keep this bullet available to people want to use it at the original velocities. While many people on this site need a bullet to support higher velocities but, the majority of shooters are not shooting for score or at game animals at ~1K yards.

Sid Post,

For clarity sake it is important to understand that that we will test the Gen 2 bullet in every way to see if it performs the same or better in all areas as the Gen 1 bullet. This is possible and early tests indicate that it is more likely than not. No conclusion has been reached at this time. If it is true that the Gen 2 shoots as well or better in all important areas there will be only one version.

If the Gen 2 bullet underperforms the Gen 1 bullet in an area of merit we will definately continue to make both versions.

Regards,
Eric

P.S. sending PM

Last edited:
Thank you Eric!

I'm a little leary of using heavy jacket 338's on game animals at non-magnum velocities. It would be nice to have a round that would put a tough hog down while still working well on deer sized animals. Normally, I would carry a 7x57 but we are being over run with hogs, some of which are tough mean critters.

Best Regards,
Sid

I hope they are cranking them out, the gen 1 worked great for me and I have had them back ordered since May. Want to finish dialing in at 1000 + and get my range cards all ready, then play a littlegun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.