The Most DISSAPOINTING Bullet there ever was...

Hornady eldx. I've recovered too many that acted more like a fmj.
175gr ELDX bull was dead before he hit the ground. It doesn't look the best but it sure worked

Attachments

• BA6DB813-4C91-4A6C-A74F-E1BBDF9ACECF.jpeg
    BA6DB813-4C91-4A6C-A74F-E1BBDF9ACECF.jpeg
    489.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 7CD07FE0-0425-4CDF-861F-8F11E4637739.jpeg
    7CD07FE0-0425-4CDF-861F-8F11E4637739.jpeg
    740.2 KB · Views: 54
One if the issues I think we rub in to is the wide variation in velocity. I've a buddy who loves mono metal bullets, but hunts exclusively with 165s in a 300 rum. He whacks all kinds of critters with it, but he rarely shoots past 350 and hunts mostly Moose and bears. His experience with those bullets aren't going to be the same for someone shooting mild loads with the same pill in a 308. In the same vein anothrt buddy has shot a couple animals with a 6.5 creed, he stepped up to a 6.5-300 wby to stretch a little farther... and shot a cow elk at about 125with the same bullet he loved in the creed. Needless to say it did not perform all that great.

I had great luck with a certain weight swift a frame in my 7 rum, my buddy said he's shot fmjs from his 708 that opened better... Launch speed can heavily effect perception of a bullet.

...any Nosler Ballistic Tip....great accuracy buy worthless penetration..almost as bad a the old Speer bulkets..

Unless your experience was from the early NBT's I say this is pure horse hockey!

I've a world supply experience in filling arks with NBT's out of all sorts of rounds. And to date I've rarely had one stay inside of any critter including elk...In particular I've used the 70 and 95 NBT a ton load on big and small big game as well the 150 out of my 7 Mashburn Super and to date I've never had one stay inside a critter.

That's been my experience

Still have a what's left of a box of Cor lok from 12 years ago. Patterned like a 12ga. Checked them for run out and they sucked.
They worked when I was young. Quality control went to hell I guess.

Eldx have grenaded and seperated on me too, they killed though, eventually.

Good thread.
I've got a family size peanut butter jar 1/2 full of 165gr. 30 cal. core-locts... I probably should put them to use as they are older than either of my boys, and one of them is in college. My 300win liked both them and the 200 sierra bt when the bore was younger; now it only likes the 165 hdy fb interlock and the 200 eld-x pushed by v565... It's funny what north of 1,000 rounds will do to a bore.

Written off.....Speer Grand Slam and I would tell my worst enemy it was the best bullet known to man!!!!!
Now you tell me!!! I picked up 400 of the 375cal. 300gr. ones after Speer killed them a number of years back. I guess I'll punch paper with the gs's and kill stuff with the 300tsx pills I have...

STX, I see you advocate both hammers AND eld-m's for elk, 2 completly opposite spectrum of bullets.
Do each serve a different purpose, and which do what for you?

I put more stock in somone having harvested many elk from close to far, than pigs and deer.

I'm honestly trying to narrow my bullet selections down as I'm needing to restock long range bullets for several hunting calibers. Like others have said trying to glean any consensus out of these threads is impossible without further explanations or what/ how why's being answered. The other thing I've noticed is that advovates for a certain long favored bullet won't necessarlity post up their failures. They'll just quietly change if it becomes a problem.
You misread my post……I've never used Hammers or ELDMs for elk……I've only used Berger 210 VLDs for elk. LOTS of deer and hogs with Hammers and ELDMs! Hammers are my favorite but ELDM accuracy is hard to beat and they have performed excellent for me on deer and hogs…..Big Hogs!

Hornady FMJ boat tail with cannelure. Impact velocity between 1800 ft./s and 2800 ft./s. Terminal performance is exactly like a FMJ and I can't stand it. Penciled right through! 🤬
I believe the FMJ minimal impact velocity is around 2250 fps . Any slower and they tumble. Check out "Simple Minded Fellar" on YouTube, he tests just about every bullets performance with high and low velocity impacts. Also "Front Line Rejects" tests real world performance from 100 yards to 500.

You misread my post……I've never used Hammers or ELDMs for elk……I've only used Berger 210 VLDs for elk. LOTS of deer and hogs with Hammers and ELDMs! Hammers are my favorite but ELDM accuracy is hard to beat and they have performed excellent for me on deer and hogs…..Big Hogs!
Ah, gotcha!

Accubond Long Range. Never had any luck in the half dozen rifles I tried them in.
This for me too. I think the design is probably really good but I have burned up way too much powder and primers across several cartridges trying to get them to shoot.

They are THE most finicky bullet I've ever tried to tune.

I have ONE rifle that loves them but all others can't get under a 2" group with them on proven 1/2 MOA or better rifles.

Last edited:
Not so much of a brand, but of a style. FMJ never let me down of any brand as the rest are useless!