well kinda dissapointing

Ridge Runner

With no snow and my own views against baiting are making it tough to find good long range shooting at whitetail varmints.
I sat on my crossing where I about always hunt except I was a far away as I could possibly get. as the action started around mid-day, things heated up quick before I knew it there were 5 bucks chasing does, finaly I saw a small 8 point, so I ranged the target, set the drops, and slid behind the rifle, just in time to see the buck dissapear as he crossed the ridge. in a few min. they returned in force, three bucks with almost the same size racks, except the other 2 were 4 points. after almost shooting a smaller buck on 2 occasions, the 8 pointer finaly settled down, his shoulder was behind a small oak tree so I held for a lung shot, hit exactly where it was sposed to, buck sprinted 50 yds and fell over.
in a lilttle clearing in the saddle on top of the ridge just above the objective bell is where the buck was, lazered range was 474, a great confidance builder but armed with kirby's joojoo its almost too easy, anyway first blood with the 7mm AM
JS
100_0160.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
but armed with kirby's joojoo its almost too easy, anyway first blood with the 7mm AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
tough to find good long range shooting at whitetail

[/ QUOTE ]

Deer rifle season across the Potomac River from you opens on Saturday. I have been bowhunting a couple of times and spent most of the bowhunting trips just scouting for a new hunting spot where I could get a longer shooting gallery. And haven't found anything. It looks to me that I will be lucky to break 400 yds.

The way Kiirby puts the 7AM's together, it really makes a difficult shot feel easy.

I would assume the 160AB just sliced right through the rib cage.

Congratulations anyway.

James:

Good looking deer and a pretty good looking gun also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congratulations on a successful hunt and yeah, I've gotta admit, the AM's do kind of give you an advantage. 474 yards is no guaranteed kill. The guy behind the gun still has to drive it right and it sure looks like you had no driver error. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James,

Congrats, Ya got to shoot them where they show up, great job and a good shot on a fine buck!!! Thanks for the post and report.

Kirby Allen(50)

Not a good choice of words on my part kirby, I can find lots of places for 500 to 800 yd shots but I guess its my perception of LR hunting and what really goes on here during deer season.
When you find a buck, he's almost always after a hot doe, you know how that goes, usually you have a family group, and the buck is trying to separate the estrous doe from the heard, then you allmost always have 1,2, or 3 young bucks that are running crazy so its allmost impossible in the timber to keep the target in sight, let alone get set up and shoot.
its mentaly exhausting trying to "get it done" but wouldn't trade it for nothing.
JS

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.