Berger 153.5 Hybrid bullets for Hunting

Txcowboy50

I was wondering if anyone has used Berger 153.5 hybrid bullets for hunting? My go to bullet for hunting with 6.5 PRC is 156 Berger EOL over 56 gr. of H1000. I can not find Berger 156 gr and was considering the 153.5 hybrid which are available. Any thoughts?

i WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING. i WAS WAS GOING TO TRY rL 26 THOUGH. iF MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT i BELIEVE THEY ARE ALRIGHT FOR HUNTING BUT BETTER TO KNOW FOR SURE.

I have used pointed bullets for years for targets/match shooting. I use the Whidden bullet pointing system. The end result is the same a significantly smaller meplat to increase BC and BC consistency. I have used some of these, both just pointed and ones that have been pointed and trimmed, for shooting groundhogs because it was what I happened to have when I saw them on the farm. Pointed bullets do not expand well, and I would never recommend you use them for hunting. On the groundhogs that I've shot, I've found blood trails, but never the body. (6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7WSM). Always makes it down in the hole. With a plastic tip match bullet or with a hunting bullet, the body is lying where it gets hit. For farm crop protection, either way is fine, it is just more satisfying to see the result.

I have used pointed bullets for years for targets/match shooting. I use the Whidden bullet pointing system. The end result is the same a significantly smaller meplat to increase BC and BC consistency. I have used some of these, both just pointed and ones that have been pointed and trimmed, for shooting groundhogs because it was what I happened to have when I saw them on the farm. Pointed bullets do not expand well, and I would never recommend you use them for hunting. On the groundhogs that I've shot, I've found blood trails, but never the body. (6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7WSM). Always makes it down in the hole. With a plastic tip match bullet or with a hunting bullet, the body is lying where it gets hit. For farm crop protection, either way is fine, it is just more satisfying to see the result.
Bergers usually don't start expanding until approx 4" of penetration so they're never going to be a good choice for groundhogs

Bergers usually don't start expanding until approx 4" of penetration so they're never going to be a good choice for groundhogs
The unpointed do just fine, not quite as well as a the old JLK for a traditional target bullet, but just fine.

I was wondering if anyone has used Berger 153.5 hybrid bullets for hunting? My go to bullet for hunting with 6.5 PRC is 156 Berger EOL over 56 gr. of H1000. I can not find Berger 156 gr and was considering the 153.5 hybrid which are available. Any thoughts?
On a side note, you might wish to give the 139 Scenar a go as well

I used the flat based 22-55 Match Berger out of my 22-250. It took a chuck at 583 yards with a modest MV of 3580 fps. Tip opening from the factory of that are around 0.033" I didn't find an exit wound.

They will be fine. I shoot the 144 Hybrid and they do a great job out of my 65PRC. I use a handchuck with a wire bit .065 or .060 and open up the tips. Reduce BC by .002 and they're spot on.

Last edited: