I’m always busy at the wrong time…for SCIENCE!!!😡🤣. Anyone ever shoot at these temps and get chrono numbers?

According to an article I just looked at, cold weather does have a noticeable impact on windage - at least on bullets with a low BC. At 500 yards, the test projectile moved almost 7" more laterally at 0⁰ F then at 85⁰.

Brilliant. I don't know why I never thought of this before today but it seems obvious now that it must be so.

The shot on my 625 yd elk a few years ago at -34C did hit low. Didn't adjust from my original dope. Handed my friend my phone for a few pictures. After about six pictures the battery was completely dead!
I've found the same I have a 308 set up in a chassis that I take up to the range at Candle lake, SK. it was about -25°C that day and noticed a notable drop in all my shots as I chased out to 1000. Definitely cold temps make a huge difference! Great thread guys!

A snowshoeing trick I use is a belly band holster for things that are critical (phone, GPS, spare batteries for a beacon) because it keeps them snuggled up and warm. You can run a touch screen phone through a freezer bag also, keeps moisture from building up in the device while it's close to you staying warm.

At
Once again I find myself wishing I was free today to do some ballistic testing and subject myself to some cold weather. But as luck would have it, I've already got plans and cannot. I'm sure you all relate at some point or other. But i actually really wish I could go shooting in the name of science today. It would be a useful day to gather real world chrono data on extreme cold weather velocity affects. More often than not on the crazy hot days it doesn't work out either, but where I live has got to have some of the most extreme seasonal temperature spreads anywhere. Anyone ever actually get the chance to shoot and get data in weather like this? Especially interested to test the enduron powders sometime if we get another day this cold in the new year and I'm free.

We hit -42 celcius without factored in today, which isn't so rare around here, but and in June or July of this year it broke +40 celcius which I've never seen in my entire life. No thank you! I'll take the cold over the heat any day, can't stand heat like that, don't know how you folks from places like Arizona tolerate it but I suppose people adapt. BUT…I really wish I could have gone shooting today and on one of those horrible days in June. It would have been over 80 degrees C of variation and should have been enlightening. Anyone ever shoot such extremes and get data?
at -44 the bullet will freeze in the barrel, and when you go inside and get to room temp it will drop out when the barrel is tilted down.

Then the chrono will show it falls at the speed of gravity I believe....🙂

A snowshoeing trick I use is a belly band holster for things that are critical (phone, GPS, spare batteries for a beacon) because it keeps them snuggled up and warm. You can run a touch screen phone through a freezer bag also, keeps moisture from building up in the device while it's close to you staying warm.
Used that trick for beacons and spot when I used to mountain sled! Got a radio with just an external mic/speaker so we could keep in touch and keep the radio warm.

I have a serious questions about this.
Does the cold effect barrel harmonics? So if you strive for xyz fps for accuracy is that still a viable goal when your barrel is -20 to -40? Maybe a slower velocity actually is more accurate in an extremely cold barrel?

Also is there an accumulated degradation in gun powder performance as time at extreme temperatures continue. Say you are on a backpack hunt so it's not one day at negative xy degrees but multiple?

What about diurnal flux. Arctic village might not have a temperature change in winter because the sun never shines but in CO your powder could be changing 40 degrees or more every day. Does that have an accumulated effect??

Sorry to bring science back into the it was so cold stories but now I'm curious and I don't think any Korean War veterans I know we're doing studies back then.
Post #62 wins 3rd place in trying to return to the original topic :)

Barrel stiffness affects barrel harmonics and temperature will affect stiffness to some degree.

Interesting thread. I live just south of OP in same province and hunt and shoot in similar weather. Not out hunting in quite that extreme but was able to get my first quadruple coyote on one stand last year in about -35 C. Had to snowshoe in 2 miles to get to the river due to all the snow we had last year but was worth it. Just have to dress for weather and take it slow. Nikon range finders do work in that weather it just takes an eternity for the range to appear on the screen.

As far as load data goes I like to sight in and shoot in the weather I will probably be hunting in. I was doing load development around Christmas in about -25 for a new Tikka T3x SS in .204. Was shooting 32gr Vmax to about 3930. Chrono worked and stayed lit for the hour I was out. Not sure how accurate it was in that weather but it showed me some plausible numbers. I still gave my barrel a minute in between shots and my 4th and 5th shots started walking, might be due to the pencil barrel or my frozen hand lol.

Another side note my POI with that load was an inch lower at 100yds in -25C vs the +5C temperature when I sighted it in. Never got velocities for that day, wishing I had now to compare.

Interesting thread. I live just south of OP in same province and hunt and shoot in similar weather. Not out hunting in quite that extreme but was able to get my first quadruple coyote on one stand last year in about -35 C. Had to snowshoe in 2 miles to get to the river due to all the snow we had last year but was worth it. Just have to dress for weather and take it slow. Nikon range finders do work in that weather it just takes an eternity for the range to appear on the screen.

As far as load data goes I like to sight in and shoot in the weather I will probably be hunting in. I was doing load development around Christmas in about -25 for a new Tikka T3x SS in .204. Was shooting 32gr Vmax to about 3930. Chrono worked and stayed lit for the hour I was out. Not sure how accurate it was in that weather but it showed me some plausible numbers. I still gave my barrel a minute in between shots and my 4th and 5th shots started walking, might be due to the pencil barrel or my frozen hand lol.

Another side note my POI with that load was an inch lower at 100yds in -25C vs the +5C temperature when I sighted it in. Never got velocities for that day, wishing I had now to compare.
I cannot imagine hunting in that temp. Wow!

I am with the OP I will take -40C to +40C every day all day. I remember the winter of 1989/90 it was super cold around Christmas and the news showed someone in Whitehorse cutting a quart of oil open and pulling it like it was taffy. My brother and I had hunted a special draw in Alberta that year called the Camp Wainwright Deer hunt. It is a deer hunt on an army base. It was so cold my old dodge powerwagon heater lines were frozen but the coolant circulated in the engine so we hunted. I don't know if it was -40C in the cab but it had to be close. We drove with the windows open so our breath didn't fog the windows. We ended up taking a couple of doe mule deer to end the misery. When we got home those deer were as solid as a rock and took 3 days to thaw. We had a Ruger 77, and Remington 760, both in 30-06 with cheap scopes. Both shots were around 100yds and we each got them with 1 shot. Ignorance is bliss. I know I didn't take any ballistic considerations into account just held on the chest and fired. Whenever I think of this hunt it makes me think of what hell a poor german private must have had to go through in 1941.