Anyone shoot a Mosin Nagant at long range?

Hodgdon list the 7.62x54R and 308 at the exact same powder weights and speeds

I'm very pleased with how mine came out. Love the look of it and it shoot great

I've shot mine in 600 yard F-class before, it's not quite stock though. Did OK, think I dropped 20 points, but was not quite like shooting my F-Open rifle.

Attachments

• DSCN0507.JPG
    DSCN0507.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0532.JPG
    DSCN0532.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 91
Still a very nice group. Around .5 MOA?? So far the best I have gotten out of mine was a group at .36 but it averages around .5. Which is dang good for the factory barrel. When I find some more varget powder and bullets ill post up a group. I was just getting her really tuned in well and now I'm down to like 10 bullets and a handful of powder which I'll save for hunting.

What is your load. If you don't mind?

I'm shooting .311" SMK 174 grn in lapua brass, 42.5 grns Varget with a 210M primer. I posted my velocity wrong earlier. That was with a different load. Getting 2430 FPS with this one

Yeah it was around 1/2" give or take, that's kinda what it shoots on average. I have not done much load developement with it though. At the F-class shoot I think I was shooting .3105 174 gr Hornady FMJ, and I can't recall the powder but I was using Norma brass, 210M primers, and it was running somewhere in that 2600-2700 fps range. Nothing like lobbing lead.

If your gun is shooting 1/2" on average you did get lucky with that barrel. I've shot a ton of these things and most times you are lucky if you get 1" at 100 after all the tuning without replacing the barrel. They were never meant to be tack drivers but to hit a man at 1-200 or so yards.

Forgot to mention, my rifle weights about 16 lbs.

If I ever get some more bullets I'm going to do some testing with H4831 and see if I can get my speed up and keep her grouping. 42.5 Varget is .5 grain below minimum so with 4831 near maximum i may be able to hit the next accuracy node and get more out of her. I'll try it as soon as lead gets available.

Definitely luck on the barrel. They were made to shoot "minute of man" not "minute of angle"

Wow. 16 lbs. think mine weighs 10

I was planning to shoot this gun at 1000 yards this weekend but it ain't going to make it. Maxing out my turret and using the lowest mildot is only going to get me to 930 (estimated). So I guess I'll see how it does there. Will let you know.

Very nice. Very pretty. How does she shoot? I like the paint job. Nice how it carries up the scope too. Looks great. Mine shoots a solid .75 Moa and I've shot many sub 1/2 Moa groups. Especially past 300. The SMKs really stabilize after 300. Shot a 4 shot group at 750 few weeks ago at 1.75". Not sure I can replicate that, but It will hold 4" pretty easy there. I knew I was hitting the gong but not sure where so after 4 shots I went out to see where I was hitting it. Decided not to shoot a fifth after seeing the group. Especially after getting up from the gun

Awesome to see so many great reviews on the mosin. Mine is .5 moa But! I shoot mil surplus I pull the bullet remeasure the powder to 44
Gr and put a 180 gr Sierra game king on top 2519 fps consistently. Lots of fun!

Oh I use Russian surplus.

Here is a really neat mosin project is stumbled across:

*Almost finished* Mosin nagant project - The FAL Files

This guy relocated the bolt handle, which allowed a better scope mounting solution.

Saw this, as well and have been thinking it has some possibilities:

2013 New Products | Archangel Manufacturing

It's another option, at least.

If I had some welding and machining skills, it would be a fun project to tackle. I don't, so I probably won't go there. But, I really enjoy seeing the creative things that people are doing with these homely old peasant's rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.