Hunting Rifle

Well since you asked. I would go with the 300 Win Mag but both would be sufficient. Fierce does make a nice rifle but you pay for it. Is it worth the extra money, only you can answer that question. I have one of their rifles and its a shooter but the Tikka's shoot great as well and it leaves you more money for a good scope to put on the rifle. JMO Good luck with your new build.

I have a Tikka T3X in 6.5 PRC that I just received a 22" 7 PRC switch barrel. Have less than 100 rounds through it but I am very pleased with the accuracy. AG stock, suppressor, optic, bipod and fully loaded it's right at 10 lbs

I absolutely love my X-bolt, I'm sure you will also. IMO, it's the best hunting rifle option on the market, some guys just don't like the lack of aftermarket support.

Upgrade your trigger spring with a MCARBO spring and you'll have a slick setup.

I'm looking to buy another hunting rifle and I'm curious which way some of you would go. This will be my primary rifle for deer/bear/elk and I will probably go with 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. I have narrowed it down to the Tikka t3x roughtech ember (24 inch barrel, just under 7 pounds) and some model made by Fierce (24 inch barrel, not sure yet steel vs carbon). Are Fierce really worth the $2500-3500 when most Tikkas can shoot just as well for $1200? I loved my Seekins PH2 but can't go with Seekins just because they only offer 20 moa scope bases and no matter what rings I use, my barrel takes up the entire bottom half of my Nightforce scopes (both 2.5-20 and 4-32) . So... Tikka ember or a Fierce, which would you choose?

MY GUIDELINES.....
Weight- somewhere between. 6.0 and 7.5 pounds
Barrel length- 24 inches (longest I want to go for when I run a suppresor)
Chambered in 7mm rem mag or 300
Price - under 3500
Apparently my guns arent hunting rifles due to their weight? lol

I have Nx8s in 2.5-20 and 4-32. No aftermarket bases work on seekins, only their bases. While this problem might not bother most people it drives me absolutely insane while hunting. No matter which NF scope I'm using the entire bottom half of my scope has a giant blob (the barrel) in it. I have tried low, medium, and high rings and multiple NX8 scopes. It even drove me crazy enough to go out and purchase the Seekins element which has a 22 inch barrel instead of the ph2's 26.... can still see the giant blob in my scope. Moved my scopes over to other rifles with 0 moa bases and can't see a single barrel in any of them even the 26+ inch barrels. Would a Swaro or Leupold work with their bases? Possibly but I will only shoot with NF so that means I either deal with the giant distraction while hunting at low powers or get rid of Seekins. Clearly I'm not the only one this bothers because I have seen multiple people talking about it. Most people just say screw it and try to block it out. The PH2 rail is removable and the Element base is built into the action.
One solution could be to add a 20moa rail backwards on top of your rail. This would yield 0 moa. Would need short rings to keep scope low. I have a couple of these, I think one is made by Badger.

I have a 2022 Mustang GT California Special Edition and I can definitely relate to the "having money in the bank" reference you speak of. Speed kills in the wrong hands but speed thrills me every day I fire up the beast and tool my way to the office knowing there are few cars on the road with the power and speed I have. Passing someone that's poking along is a pure adrenaline rush and that Mustang exhaust note is pure sweet music to me.
View attachment 523786

Having said that I used to be a one of those guys that believed in "bringing enough gun" but as I age I find that I delight in my lightweight Model Sevens and my favorite is a Model Seven AWR II in 308. It's a thing of beauty and it shoots every factory and hand load I've ever put in it under an inch with some of them in the 5/8" groups.

We run deer with hounds here in NW Florida sometimes and having a very light carbine with a 20" barrel is a pure pleasure to handle. Most of my shots are under 125yds so it's plenty for me.

If I'm still hunting I usually reach for one of my 7mm SAUMS and if I get another trip out west for an elk or bear my 300SAUM will get the nod backed up by my 375H&H.

Gone are the days when I used a Weatherby Mark 10 in 30-378 or my Model Seven in 350 Rem Mag... The punishment on my end of the shot diminished the fun to the point where I had to work to prevent flinching and that work was no fun any more.
Sharp car. I picked up a Pursuit Charger to play around with.
20230419_155136.jpg

I apologize for the derailment.

Last edited:
The Tikka Roughtech is top of its game in its price range. They are light. The action is smooth and the trigger is good. They could use a little better twist rates on the 7 REM. But I've never had a tikka that didn't shoot and I've had several. I've never owned a Fierce because I've heard too many horror stories about their guns and customer service from people I know that have bought them.

Thats a fun and easy project, to start with. Tika , a good rifle, Leupold ( VX5 3x to 15X ) or Night Force scope, are good optics. 7 mag, or 300 Win mag, excellent calibers. If you are a handloader, you can tailor the Bullet and the Load to the game your hunting, at the range in which you expect to be shooting. For your application I would suggest you use good quality Steel Rings and Bases.( No need for Tactical 20 MOA rails ) Shoot 40 to 50 rounds through your set up before you pull out the trigger. You may be completely happy with the factory trigger once adjusted to your preference. If the barrel is threaded , put a break on it. Both calibers offer bullet weights in the 150 grn range, which I think are just fine for deer. You clearly do require a 180 grn Partition for Whitetail Deer, but you might really want that bullet( or something like that ) for Elk, or Bear. Good luck and Good Shooting to you!!

Even when I had my ph2 and had a question not once did they ever answer their customer service line and their email was vague and no help at all. I think this is probably enough to just let it go and see if I can talk to a Fierce customer service rep after the holidays.
If they won't talk reasonably with you before you purchase, they're unlikely to after you've given them the money.

"Need" and "Want" are two entirely different things. I don't NEED a Hemi in my car to run the speed limit. But it sure is fun getting to the speed limit faster than most. It's like having money in the bank. You don't always need it, but it's nice to know it's there. Besides, as Elmer said, overkill sure beats the alternative.
Sp that's how it is ! You say I go out gut shooting! Lmao you be ignorant and childish it's OK. You do you! Lmao you actually only insulted yourself. Any firearm works for hunting in north America, we even use bow&arrow. I must apologize as I thought this form was for the LONG RANGE SHOOTER!
I'm sure long range shooters have absolutely everything under 500 yards under control.

Post script: Is there a JUST RATE THERE SHOOTER form on the web?

I have a 2022 Mustang GT California Special Edition and I can definitely relate to the "having money in the bank" reference you speak of. Speed kills in the wrong hands but speed thrills me every day I fire up the beast and tool my way to the office knowing there are few cars on the road with the power and speed I have. Passing someone that's poking along is a pure adrenaline rush and that Mustang exhaust note is pure sweet music to me.
View attachment 523786

Having said that I used to be a one of those guys that believed in "bringing enough gun" but as I age I find that I delight in my lightweight Model Sevens and my favorite is a Model Seven AWR II in 308. It's a thing of beauty and it shoots every factory and hand load I've ever put in it under an inch with some of them in the 5/8" groups.

We run deer with hounds here in NW Florida sometimes and having a very light carbine with a 20" barrel is a pure pleasure to handle. Most of my shots are under 125yds so it's plenty for me.

If I'm still hunting I usually reach for one of my 7mm SAUMS and if I get another trip out west for an elk or bear my 300SAUM will get the nod backed up by my 375H&H.

Gone are the days when I used a Weatherby Mark 10 in 30-378 or my Model Seven in 350 Rem Mag... The punishment on my end of the shot diminished the fun to the point where I had to work to prevent flinching and that work was no fun any more.
Its a Mousestang. I had a 68 Dodge Charger 383 with a 4 speed trany. Then I had the engine built with 310 degree cam, anti pump up lifters, 11 to 1 pistons. ported and polished heads with 3 angle valve job. heavy valve springs. balanced and blue printed block and crankshaft bored over 30. You would be amazed at what happens when you dump the clutch at 8500rpm. It would do 115 in third gear.

Recent Posts