Hunting with tactical rifle?

S1

Do not lay it on too thick now.

Eagle nylon is great gear! Have quite a bit myself.

Terminal velocity is 120 mph. You can reach speeds of 200 mph but not in a stable position and average jumper cannot do it, much less with equipment. Got to stand on your head or delta.

No one jumps above 40,000 feet. Pressure suit needed. US held the military record until mid 70s then Soviets took it. We were going to break it but cost too much to get pressure suits and all training needed to go to the mid 40K range jumping and not useful anyway. Max HALO and HAHO jumps are around 30,000, no need to go higher. Velocity is only accelerated little over 120mph at 30K in stable position.

BH

"Master Halo Wings and HALO Instructor"

S1

You can have him call me at DSN 278-5725. I set up the first square HALO/HAHO course when I was the Safety Officer on the HALO committee at Ft. Bragg and two Special Forces HALO teams, one demonstration team in Europe and I have over a 1000 jumps. I will be happy to talk to him! I might know him as the SEALS had to go through the HALO course at Bragg for qualification anyway.

PS broke my back on a square jump also. By the way, that is not a qualification for expertise. Seal Tm 6 is now called Dev Group too.

BH

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

Is the speed theese guy reaching faster than a speeding bullet
grin.gif
. Iknow that both of you guys are very serious about this business. Almost sounds like Army vs Navy the battle will always continue
wink.gif
. Alot of people on this board are VETS,myself included.

Now out of the loop, we still like to know whats going on. Sometime we can't becuase things are still classified. On a need to know basis, I've been out for quite a while but, I still like to know what new toys we have and can do! Don't get me wrong we were taught to respect and learn so can we do that without the attitude towards each other please.

THIS WAS THE FIRST AND ONLY BOARD that I signed onto and I love and respect it!!!
Hopefully everyone else feels some kind of dedication to it also... PROTECT it like it was a portion of your body.

Sorry for the long post but, felt I had to get this off my chest. The information that each and everyone gives may help someone trying to learn.
In fact my son came home from high school this evening and told me his History teacher received a 7mm mag from her father for Christmas. And I gave him our web site to checkout since she loves guns so much.

S1

Yes I am fully aware that only 2 guys (non-military)over a period of several years jumped at up to 100K out of high altitude balloons. Last guy to try, died doing it and it was simply a world record event that has nothing to do with military tactical employment. So do not make it sound like this is something any military(Army, Navy, SAS etc) is doing because they are not. Most tactical employments take place less than 30K because of all the equipment and training needed to go higher. Occassionaly went into the low 30K but at 30K I have got a 25 Mile downwind glide path. Bottom line, there is no tactical advantage to going higher. I have friends still in the darkside units teaching HALO and have never heard of a 40k tactical jump other than the record attempts years ago. In fact only 1-2 tactical aircraft capable of flying at those altitude carrying troops.

You are right the school at Bragg is not the only place that does HALO/HAHO but it is the only place that sets the training standards for all of the services in that arena, just like the Navy sets the standards for the SF scuba courses.

Texas

Has nothing to do with Army versus Navy. Greatest respect and admiration for any guys who still do that. Simply anti-BS on someone who I doubt has done it (do not make helmets that big) and suddenly is an expert due to associating with people who have. Exploits and one shot skills (only two misses in last several years) have surpassed superman on steroids. Based on what I have seen posted our Olympic shooters are just babes in the woods. Just haven't seen prove of anything yet! But then easy to shot LR when you always shoot in a tailwind (bullet pushed by hot air).

BH

S1

Will type reallll slooow this time. Maybe it will finally sink in.

1. Said I had Eagle gear initially. Never said I did not.

2. Never said I had a 300 Win Mag. Suppose you might have CRS "Can't Remember S--T"?

3. Never said you could "only" get 25 miles, just said you could get that much. You assumed that meant only 25 miles and you know what they say about assumptions.

4. You assumed again because I had been an instructor, I "could not" which is another stupid fallacy on your part. Ask the British SAS, only the best become instructors, that is the rule. Just shows what you really know about special operations units instead of what you heard over a beer and so much for you personally verifying anything about special opns.

Finally, "you might have worked with people who have done it" and get all giggly inside talking to them and suddenly think that is you doing it, BUT I HAVE ACTUALLY DONE IT and for over 24 years when I retired and do not have to prove anything to you. You have not earned that right or my respect to even ask for that.

As for you being the "exeption around here", I think it is fair to say 99% will heartedly agree with that statement and that is not a positive.

Guess that means if you want to bet on BS'ing, I concede now, you got me hands down.

BH

BH

Your about 4,000 jumps shy of talking trash to me, sweat pea. It is amazing how you like to try and get personal when someone points out how outdated your facts are. Pull your brain out of the covered shoe box and look around you.

Read this slowly and carefully.

Just because you did not do it, does not mean other people can't.

I'll say it again,

Just because it does not happen in your limited little world, does not mean the rest of us won't make it happen.

Keep living in your box, and drawing lines in the sand, and I will keep laughing as people cross them, and do what they will to do, rather than serve your limited vision.

You really should get out more.

Alright guys, lets agree to disagree! The nice thing is that we are on the same side. There arn't many of us, and some of us here would like to learn from what others are acomplishing on this site. S1, I have seen the results of the work you have done in the pictures that have been posted. BH, I enjoy your writings and the pic.'s that you have posted. The only thing that you BOTH are lacking in is your ability to post more PIC'S! Now guys, kiss and make up. Remember, where humans are conserned, we sometimes don't always get along. Thats O.K.. We all do it, we all understand. Since not all of us have the funds to build all the rifles we want, nor to do all the hunting we would like to do, we must live off of the pic's that others post. So get too it, and stop wasting our time with petty rivalries! Still waiting for those pic's, guys!

Now how did the discussion of hunting with a Tac rifle get diverted to HALO jumps (check the Navy SEAL forum at Tactical forums). To return to the topic, my AI was easily carried while elk hunting by using the biathalon sling which is an option from AI. I thought about a drag bag, but it adds weight and bulk (tough to go silently through the woods with a drag bag, it's hard enough with just the barrel sticking up on the biathalon sling). But for open country, prarie and above timber line, it might be as good option as you could option it and have all your gear available. Does anybody make a drag bag that has a backpacking type of belt. Carrying a heavy pack without one of those thick, padded, backpacking belts is difficult to do for extended periods of time.

Don't know how it exactly happended either, Roadrunner! Hey, send me a pic of that sling if you can. With all the clothes I wear while hunting, the kidney belt would be hard to get to "seat", I think. Fully agree with the drag-bag in the woods. Its hard enough to get through the brush with just the rifle and a pack, if it was kept on the shoulder. Most places in the woods don't have exactly "groomed" trails for folks to walk on. Deer mosly duck under or walk around obstructions.

Nimrod makes a system you may be interested in. It is modular and can include a rifle scabbard which attaches to a harness and waist belt.

Nimrod Packs

Cabelas also makes a nice pack. It has a molded back molding and has a large compartment for gear and has a smaller pack on the back attached to it. Inbetween the two packs it has straps to strap your gun or bow to it and has a butt stock holder that comes out to hold the gun. Used this pack on this years deer hunt and worked great.It evenly distrubuted the weight with a 12 pound rifle and gear inside.A neat set up.Cabela's bow and rifle pack.