hunting rifle accuracy

62flint

What would most of you consider acceptable for accuracy in a real world 6-7 pound 8-9 pound magnum hunting rifle? I am talking from a bench with rest, bipod, sand bags what have you but as steady as you can get it. What would you want your rifle to do to hunt western big game. out to 800 yards or so.

My goal would be a pretty consistent 3/4" or les @ 100yards! My 9 lb (scoped, loaded, and slung) .375AI is good for 3 shots under 2" @ 300 yards. It might be a bit better than that with a brake…..1/4" or so smaller group @ 300 yards, ain't worth ruining a good hunting rifle with a brake! 😉 My personal limit on game shots is 600 under near ideal conditions……but, I believe the rifle is capable to be effective out to 800. memtb

Last edited:
First depends on what you mean by accuracy. Is it the best 3 shot group, or on average 5 shot group, or the diameter of the target you know you hit with first shot at 99% probability when you take the gun out of safe and go shoot it?

The Internet is full of guns that shoot 0.3 MOA all day but those are rare on the range and when hunting, accuracy is more important than precision. If you've got a rifle you know reliably hits a 1 MOA target with the first shot you're in good position and improving the rifle's mechanical accuracy is not bringing much benefit in hitting the target at long distances where the majority of the error is caused by the muzzle velocity variance, error in range and wind estimation and other external factors.

Not saying I'd be happy with a 1 MOA 3 shot grouping rifle neither, but instead of trying to achieve super tight groups try to minimize the distance of the worst shot from the aiming point. And remember, a 1 MOA rifle can reliably hit a 8 inch target at 800 yards. That is a lot harder than shooting tight groups. Humane kill at long ranges is more dependent on the location of the group than the group size as long as the rifle is adequately accurate which I'd say anything that reliably has a hit rate of >95% at a 1 MOA target is.

edit: corrected the accuracy <=> precision; not the first time I use them incorrectly but hopefully the last. Thank you for correction @Lionel Boyd Johnson

Last edited:
For a long range "hunting" rifle. 1st/cold bore and 2nd shot follow up, MUST be 1/2" MOA or better at least. At your mentioned 800 yards, thats well within the bread basket. That gives it a little "extra wiggle" for wind, position, etc.

Now I see you are in VA as I am. Where I hunt mostly, heavy woods a bow is considered long range and muzzle loader accuracy is required.... 🤣

Last edited:
What would most of you consider acceptable for accuracy in a real world 6-7 pound 8-9 pound magnum hunting rifle? I am talking from a bench with rest, bipod, sand bags what have you but as steady as you can get it. What would you want your rifle to do to hunt western big game. out to 800 yards or so.
1/2 inch or smaller

For a long range "hunting" rifle. 1st/cold bore and 2nd shot follow up, MUST be 1/2" MOA or better at least. At your mentioned 800 yards, thats well within the bread basket. That gives it a little "extra wiggle" for wind, position, etc.

Now I see you are in VA as I am. Where I hunt mostly, heavy woods a bow is considered long range and muzzle loader accuracy is required.... 🤣
I live in Virginia. I have family in Montana.
Trying to get a western big game rifle. For elk, mule deer , black bear pronghorn.
Just started working a load up for this rifle.
Just curious as to what most of you expect a hunting rifle to do. The 800 yard limit is my extreme outer limits.
Honestly 500-600 would be my most consistent outer limits. While hunting.
Even though I live in Virginia. I have a 1000 yard range in my back yard. I will shoot that far but they are heavy rifles that are not production out of the box guns.
They are my "golf clubs".
So I asked this question because maybe my expectations where to high for a out of the box production rifle. Even though it's guaranteed to be sub moa

Most claims/guarantee is between .5-1 MOA; at 800Y, it's ~4-8" (rounded for simplicity). Set up a target that simulates the vital area of your game, practice, practice, practice. If you can hit your target consistently with at least your first two shots (in hunting situations, not very many are afforded more than 2 shots on game), decide if it is good enough for your intended purpose and ability for a successful harvest. Good luck!

Last edited:
First depends on what you mean by accuracy. Is it the best 3 shot group, or on average 5 shot group, or the diameter of the target you know you hit with first shot at 99% probability when you take the gun out of safe and go shoot it?

The Internet is full of guns that shoot 0.3 MOA all day but those are rare on the range and when hunting, precision is more important than accuracy. If you've got a rifle you know reliably hits a 1 MOA target with the first shot you're in good position and improving the rifle's mechanical accuracy is not bringing much benefit in hitting the target at long distances where the majority of the error is caused by the muzzle velocity variance, error in range and wind estimation and other external factors.

Not saying I'd be happy with a 1 MOA 3 shot grouping rifle neither, but instead of trying to achieve super tight groups try to minimize the distance of the worst shot from the aiming point. And remember, a 1 MOA rifle can reliably hit a 8 inch target at 800 yards. That is a lot harder than shooting tight groups. Humane kill at long ranges is more dependent on the location of the group than the group size as long as the rifle is adequately accurate which I'd say anything that reliably has a hit rate of >95% at a 1 MOA target is.
I have to point out that Joe-boy has reversed the meanings or precision and accuracy:
Accuracy and precision are two measures of observational error. Accuracy is how close a given set of measurements (observations or readings) are to their true value, while precision is how close the measurements are to each other. In other words, precision is a description of random errors, a measure of statistical variability.

Therefore, Accuracy is needed to hit the intended target. Precision would properly describe the tightness of grouping the shots, even if away from the intended POI.

Don't get me wrong, I want my rifle to shoot well at 100, but I'm more interested in what it does at 400-800 and even beyond shooting steel. If I cannot consistently hit what I am shooting at, at distance, I'm not willing to shoot at an animal at distance.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Because what a rifle can do at 100yds can give a very false impression of what it can do at 600-700-800yds. I've seen a number of rifles print nice tight groups at 100yds and group miserably at extended ranges.