Rifle Accuracy

hunter66

Bought my grandson a H&R Youth Model Handy Rifle in 0243 Win and its not accurate at all, 2.5" group at 100yds. I know it's a very inexpensive rifle but wanted something that was simple and safe to use. I noticed the barrel is really rough, should I use J B Bore Polish on it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have you checked all the standard things such as screw torque, scope, and scope mounting hardware? And tried several ammunition options?
I've checked all of the above. Been shooting and loading for over 45 years but no experience with this brand of rifle. Found out it really doesn't like bullets 70gr or less. Has a long throat and big jump.

I'm not claiming that it will help, but it can't hurt either, to try a box of Federal 85 grain.
Many here at work shoot a 243, and over the years have found that to be a great ammo overall, and also wonderful when hunting, at stopping animals quickly.

Last edited:
I'm not claiming that it will help, but it can't hurt either, to try a box of Federal 85 grain.
Many here at work shoot a 245, and over the years have found that to be a great ammo overall, and also wonderful when hunting, at stopping animals quickly.
Thanks, have some 85gr Sierra bullets, think I will load some up and see what happens.

Since you've checked mounting hardware and are a reloader, perhaps try loading them long. Try getting closer to the lands.

Also try down loading. I had a 243 Win that absolutely would not shoot factory ammo well or anything approaching max loads. Drop down 2-300 fps and it shot well.

I have a Savage with a horribly finished barrel and it shoots well. If all else fails, you could try JB bore paste or Tubbs Final Finish bullets.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

I have had alot of success with rifles that didn't shoot well by changing up to hammer bullets. I would strongly suggest you give them a try to improve accuracy. If you aren't familiar with them, the attributes that would seem to fit your need are:
1. Not jump sensitive.
2. The Hammers punch above their weight class and love to be pushed fast, so don't be afraid to pick the 70 grain version. Is is lightening on deer.
3. With the lighter 70.grain bullet, they are very light recoil in a 243.
4. They are always in stock, so if you find a bullet you like, you don't have to work your tail.off to find them later.

You won't regret it!

Bought my grandson a H&R Youth Model Handy Rifle in 0243 Win and its not accurate at all, 2.5" group at 100yds. I know it's a very inexpensive rifle but wanted something that was simple and safe to use. I noticed the barrel is really rough, should I use J B Bore Polish on it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
How many rounds through? Try Winchester Deer Season XP https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rifle/Deer-Season-XP/X243DS. They have been .5 MOA at 200Y on my 6.5 CM.

6.5 CM deer season XP 3-shot at 200 yards.jpg

And a friend's .308 Win.

Cory's .308 Win at 200Y.jpg

At $35/box in my neck of the woods, it might just surprise you. Good luck!

Sorry but I don't have any good news to you.
I had exactly the same rifle and calibre.
To improve groupings tried many things.
Reloaded less pressure ammo with Rem PSP 100gr Corelokt, PSP 80grain, Hornady BTSP Interlock 100grain, with and without moly, different lengths, powders, cases and primers.
Installed a muzzle brake.
Improved trigger - jewelled it and changed for a lighter spring.
Did different forend beddings.
Filled the unsupported center gap of the underlug to improve the bearing surface with the hinge pin.
Removed any play of the standing breech bedding it with Devcon steel putty.
Lapped the barrel latch to better match with the latch seat.
Changed the barrel latch spring with a stronger one to improve the breech stiffness.
Lost memory of hours spent with that rifle.
Sold it latter because never achieved my minimum standards.
You will find on internet many articles about improving NEF/Handi Rifle…
Good luck!

Hunter, a buddy of mine had one of those and we found that forearm placement and consistency on the front bag was critical. If I remember right, his liked to rest on the front bag close to the action. Anything else would throw shots everywhere. Yours may be a different place, but I'd try a few shots close to the action.
And while you are at it, check the crown to make sure the pattern is even after firing some rounds.

I always followed the Shilen break in method. 1 shot clean x 50 times I think it was. and polished the crown with a round head brass screw and valve grinding compound..

How is the trigger? I have an H&R rifle and it almost takes two fingers to pull the trigger. Very difficult to get accuracy with a crappy trigger like mine. Maybe a local gunsmith can lighten/clean up the trigger. Might help if the trigger is the problem, especially with a young shooter.