Rifle Accuracy

Since you've checked mounting hardware and are a reloader, perhaps try loading them long. Try getting closer to the lands.

Also try down loading. I had a 243 Win that absolutely would not shoot factory ammo well or anything approaching max loads. Drop down 2-300 fps and it shot well.

I have a Savage with a horribly finished barrel and it shoots well. If all else fails, you could try JB bore paste or Tubbs Final Finish bullets.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
2nd the Tubbs final finish.

How is the trigger? I have an H&R rifle and it almost takes two fingers to pull the trigger. Very difficult to get accuracy with a crappy trigger like mine. Maybe a local gunsmith can lighten/clean up the trigger. Might help if the trigger is the problem, especially with a young shooter.
Reworked the trigger to 3. It shoots 90 gr E-tips good but for teaching a youngster to shoot will get a bit expensive.

Hunter, a buddy of mine had one of those and we found that forearm placement and consistency on the front bag was critical. If I remember right, his liked to rest on the front bag close to the action. Anything else would throw shots everywhere. Yours may be a different place, but I'd try a few shots close to the action.
And while you are at it, check the crown to make sure the pattern is even after firing some rounds.
Thanks

Go to GBO outdoors and read their handi forum. They can be very accurate but, especially the light weight models, can be touchy. The #1 thing I would suggest is floating the barrel with a rubber washer around the forearm hanger. After that, there are a huge number of things to try.

I have 5 or 6 of them and another 4 CVA single shots. All shoot great after some tinkering, but very little of your bolt action knowledge applies.

Steve

Bought my grandson a H&R Youth Model Handy Rifle in 0243 Win and its not accurate at all, 2.5" group at 100yds. I know it's a very inexpensive rifle but wanted something that was simple and safe to use. I noticed the barrel is really rough, should I use J B Bore Polish on it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
YEP !!! Use, a Bronze Brush, patched over and "Slathered" with, JB's for, 10- 12 Strokes, ONE WAY,.. then,.. CLEAN thoroughly.
Then Find, the "Right" Bullet for your, Twist, should work,..Better

Last edited:
Reworked the trigger to 3. It shoots 90 gr E-tips good but for teaching a youngster to shoot will get a bit expensive.
Not sure the age of experience of your grandson, when I started my daughter, had her doing dry fire drills to get the feel for the trigger. Then I hand one of my bore sights on the rifle and had her pull the trigger to see if the laser was moving when she was pulling the trigger, we did the drills until she felt comfortable with the trigger pull, 3 lb trigger is not bad. but the drill helped her with the sight picture and breathing and the muscle memory of the actual trigger pull. Make sure you ask him how does it feel, have him use the drill on a gun you know is set up well. I feel from some of the other posts that the rifle has some inherent issues but if he is well versed in what he can control, it will still be a rewarding experience for you both. Have fun.