Practical Hunting Accuracy

First, good for you passing on a shot when you weren't certain! Practice practice and again practice. I like to start all my range sessions with a cold bore shot at the farthest available target, which is usually 700 yards at the club where I shoot most. I also like to shoot at targets no larger than 2 MOA. The elk you describe was probably about 3 and a half MOA at that range, so if you can always whack that 2 or less MOA gong at whatever comparable distance you can find to practice, then next time you're good to go, provided you are content with the quality of your wind call. Also, to help confidence on the hunt, if time permits, dry fire a couple times while aiming at the animal before chambering a live round to make sure your follow-through is good.

The drop at 800yds for my 300 win mag with 180gr win. silver tip is 246.1" or 21 feet. Wind drift of a 10MPH cross wind is 74.5". Very few shooters are capable of makeing an ethical shot on an animal at these ranges with Bubba holdover, I don't give a edit how much they've practiced. The best way to do it is with a first class dial up optic and first class RF with a tested Ballistic program thru a first class rifle!! Bubba will be along soon to tell you how he's done it with his Red Rider BB gun!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I started big game hunting in 2008 with 5 deer tags and 1 elk tag.
I had never shot at any target beyond 100 yards.
I was hitting half the deer I shot at at 500 yards.
I got 5 deer.
I shot all my ammo at elk at 625 yards and missed.
I got yelled at by someone who had been big game hunting for 40 years.

Now every year I test how far away I can keep the group in a 12" kill zone.
Some rifles it is 400 yards, some 500 [usually the latest 7mmRM], but in 2015 I had a 6.5-06 I built keep it in the kill zone out to 600 yards.

Wind screws everything up. I carry a Kestrel. I stay back in the log cabin watching TV when the wind is 15 mph. I come out to hunt at 1/2 hour before dawn when there is little or no wind.

This year I have built a 7mmRM in V block with 29" #5 taper barrel, I am hoping will keep the groups in the kill zone beyond 600 yards. We have to keep trying to get better.

While practice is critical to shooting success so is the element of pressure, and the way you handle this will make or break the outcome. Five years ago I was a so-so shot, and at that time remember the first time I stretched it out to 200 yards! Last year I got my elk at 550 yards and felt comfortable going further if needed. A little over two years ago I got serious and purchased a nice 6.5x47 to learn long range shooting at a range a couple of hours away. Loads were optimized at my home 200yd range, and off I went. The range master spotted my shots and called corrections to gather dope every 100 yards out to 1100, and I made a first round hit on it! I knew I had this mastered. He invited me to participate in an upcoming match which involves 7-8 targets spaced from 450 - 1000+ yards around a 90degree arc, so you rotate in the prone to the targets which are also at various elevations that require bipod adjustments. And the wind funnels through this arc as well. I arrived to see an accomplished group of about 40 shooters of all descriptions. Well at the end of the 7 minute period I failed to finish, running out of time before engaging all of the targets! The combination of a poor strategy on the first outing, plus the pressure of competing under a time constraint did me in! After a bit more practice and competitions, now I really know my capability. And if there is much wind I still would not shoot at an elk past 500 yards, its just too unpredictable to get an accurate wind call past that range to me. So try a little friendly competition with a few elements of difficulty and time pressure to help you improve and find out what you can really feel confident doing. PS - I have also achieved a Fclass High Master certification, and while that means I can shoot decent it does not begin to encompass the types of conditions (WIND) as you will experience in the field.

I would have to second the practice, practice and more practice. I don't consider myself to be a good shot but I do practice a lot. I have been hunting for a long time and can honestly say that I have never missed(never say never) till this year. I was sheep hunting and saw a group of 12 rams up on a hillside about 1.5 miles away. My hunting partner and my self hiked as fast as we could with full packs to the bottom of the hill where they were and started the grueling 1500ft incline to where the sheep where. 55 minutes later we crest the ridge only to find the sheep on the hillside away from us at a mere distance of 550 yards and slowly going further away. By the time I get setup for the shot and we get the camera rolling the sheep are now at 605 yards away. Wind where we were was calm, what I didn't realize was there was a cross wind going through the valley between us. so I get set up for a shot that I have made multiple times and let one loose at the sheep of a lifetime. I quickly realize that ram is not hit and is now walking further away. So I calculate the shot once again only to miss once more. At this time it is starting to get dark and I decide not to shoot anymore as the rams have now moved to 850 yards. What I learned from this is no matter how much you practice there are still going to be humbling moments at least for me that is. But yes practice is essential to being successful as well as being confident not only in your gear but in yourself as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.