Hunting with tactical rifle?

Hello all,
Yea I took my long range rifle deer hunting this year and thought that it was a pain. The rifle weighs 13 lbs, and I don't use a sling unless my hands are busy(like draging out my deer!). I like the heavy barrel, except for offhand shooting or carring while hunting. I'm thinking of having Krieger cut the barrel from a Douglas #7 to a Douglas #6 to loose one pound off the barrel. What do you guys think?

Thanks Len, local outfit stocks Nimrod packs. Am interested, only, how would you pack out an elk on one? Have been looking at several military packs. They have the water bag/tube that I like, and are made much stouter than several of the other packs that I have seen. Am currantly using an old military pack now, and I have added some straps for my tripod, and some other gear.

old thread, Just found it and seeing as how I hunt with AR10 i
with heavy 24" barrel shooting 7mm-08. I had to read and reply. Gun is deadly accurate. has dropped whitetail out to 400 yds(about as long as shot as get around here). Soked few groundhogs 300 to 500 yrds out. Blast to shoot and love looks on faces of others walking up and seeing a mean black rifle in the hunting woods.

This is a crazy old thread lol

But yeah I hunt with tactical rifles as well
IMG_6313.jpeg

Barrett MRAD with a bare rifle weight of 14.5 and over 17 pounds loaded.