tactical scope on a hunting rifle.

matt_3479

In the market for a new scope for my big game rifle. 300. wsm will be used on moose, elk, deer, bear and caribou and need to put a good scope on it. My dads best friend thinks i should just stick with Leupold VX-3 or a standard Zeiss Conquest 3-9. Where i felt that getting a tactical scope would be a nicer way to go. i was thinking of going with Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 with matching moa reticle and nobs. I wanted to get into long range shooting and hunting. This rifle is so far promising with holding moa and sub moa out too 300 yards. In the past 2 season i have had shooting opportunities out too 550 yards. I think a good beginner tactical scope like the Viper PST would help me out at those ranges. I know i would need a large amount of practice before shooting out too 550 yards. But i think the scope would help. I have had great experiences with vortex and wouldn't mind sticking with them.

do you think it is smarter to stick with a Leupold or Zeiss for a hunting scope or going the extra mile to get a tactical scope and prepare myself for anything. I know that the caliber im using is perfect for deer out too about 700 yards and is capable of harvesting moose and elk out too 500-600 yards with a proper bullet and placement.

If you are planning on getting in to long range stuff then you should get the tactical scope now. Why buy another scope in a year when the long range bug bites you. Plus if you get it now you will be able to shoot and practice with the set up that you will be hunting with.

i was really hoping to get into long range hunting and shooting. So i think you are right. Get the tactical scope and practice with what i have. Work up some good loads and hope to keep moa or sub moa out too 500 yards. Practice practice practice and maybe next year i can get my self a real long range rig.

Go with the tactical scope now.
You have a long range capable rig. That is a great cartridge capable of some pretty good long range performance. I would actual go up a step in magnification. 6-24.
Practice a lot with long range rocks. 900-1000 yards and when you start to get good a 500 yard shot is almost easy.

Save as much money as you can and buy the best you can get. You can hang on to the glass long after you fancy for that rifle wains.

you can leave all the knobs and adjustments alone on a tactical scope and use it like a normal scope but a normal scope will never become a tactical scope ?

buy one scope and learn to use it well.......

Go with the tactical scope now.
You have a long range capable rig. That is a great cartridge capable of some pretty good long range performance. I would actual go up a step in magnification. 6-24.
Practice a lot with long range rocks. 900-1000 yards and when you start to get good a 500 yard shot is almost easy.

The power of the scope is ultimately up to you, but I would not recommend the high power unless it is going to be a designated long range rig or a varmint rig. With good quality glass 10X is plenty for big game and steel targets out to 1000yrds. Having the lower bottom end will be much better for target acquisition at shorter range.

Go for the good scope now.:D

Steve

I agree with Steve, watch out for to much mag. if it is a all around hunting set up. There is also nothing wrong with the Ziess or Leupolds, it doesnt have to say Tactical, you are looking more for easy adjust turrets, and you might favor a reticle with more info, with as many posts as you have I would think you Know what is available.I have hunted for years with a Leupold 4-14x40 tact. This was a early model, which basically had capped target turrets,also mildot. The turrets now are exposed ,shorter, and easier to read. Had no problem shooting well past, distance you stated for shooting.

You are on a site where many people are into tactical scopes so expect most here to lean towards tactical scopes. This isn't good or bad, just reality.

That said, there are a few questions that need answering before you pick a scope. First & foremost is, "What's your hunting range?". You need a scope that fits your hunting area.

If you get shots at 40 yards, a 6.5-20 is NOT a good option. You will need a lower power to get on target quickly. For most big-game hunting you want a lower power around 3x where you will keep your scope set as you hunt. This will give you the quick shot when game is suddenly "there". (For longer shots, there is almost always time to crank up the power since animals at a distance don't spook as quickly.)

A higher magnification of 9-10 power is enough for big-game hunting but I do like a little more if I'm stretching my range. I've never seen a situation where I had use for more than 14 power for big game.

3-9, 3.5-10, & 4.5-14 (where short range shots are unlikely) are the powers you should look at. WIth the Swarovski Z6 or Bushnell 6500 scopes you have more zoom range so you can cover these ranges and have more low-power or more high power for when you might like it.

The next issue is weight. If this is a light cary rifle, you don't want to put a 3 pound scope on it. If it's a heavy bench gun, there is no need for a light scope.

Then there is your budget. There are good $600 scopes & very good $3,000 scopes. Get the best optics you can afford. Don't plan on mastering long-range hunting with a Walmart scope.

I think your dad's friend was probably right. A Leupold VX-3 or a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 will do what you want. With the Leupold I would suggest ordering a 3.5-10 or 4.5-14x50 with the CDS turret (from the custom shop with 2 rounds of numbers) or a target turret. The Zeiss turrets are easily adjustable in their standard form. With either of these you will have quality glass (much better than the viper), a good warranty, and adjustments that will take you past 1,000 yards in a relatively light scope.

I have a vxL 4.5x14x56 varmit reticle site in @ 2.5 inches high @ 100yds. N its dead on for each reticle out to 600yds. I love it for hunting n target

Buano: i understand where your coming from about the zeiss having better glass but i found the leupold to have worse glass then my Viper.

To everyone else.

the reason i ask is cause my ranges are from 50-600 yards. i have had longer shot opportunities but i think 600 yards really opens a hole new view to hunting. I have lost multiple animals when being spotted at 500-600 yards and trying to sneak closer and cant. So i would like a scope to help me out.

I figured i would like to later on extend target and long range hunting to closer to a 1000 eventually when get the money for a long range rig so i figured a light tactical from a good company like vortex would be the answer. relitively light, good glass, solid company, good turrets.

Buano: i understand where your coming from about the zeiss having better glass but i found the leupold to have worse glass then my Viper.

To everyone else.

the reason i ask is cause my ranges are from 50-600 yards. i have had longer shot opportunities but i think 600 yards really opens a hole new view to hunting. I have lost multiple animals when being spotted at 500-600 yards and trying to sneak closer and cant. So i would like a scope to help me out.

I figured i would like to later on extend target and long range hunting to closer to a 1000 eventually when get the money for a long range rig so i figured a light tactical from a good company like vortex would be the answer. relitively light, good glass, solid company, good turrets.

Matt,

I do not know which Leupolds you are comparing against. The VX3 scopes have rated better than Vipers on every test I've seen, even my own eyes. Optically they are superior. Whether they have the features you want is something to decide yourself. Older Leupolds are just that, older scopes that were produced with older technology, and these were not as good as the current VX3s.

If you are only talking 600 yards, your simplest option would be a Zeiss Conquest scope with the Rapid-Z 800 reticle. That will get you very close on shots to around 800 yards (depending on your ballistics) and you could always use the turrets if you had time to fine-tume your shot. The same could be said for the Swarovski Z-5 with the BRX reticle. Of course, if those are beyond your budget it's time to look at lesser choices.

Then there is the response you will get from many, that learning how to get closer to game is a large part of what becoming a good hunter is all about. I'm on both sides of that argument, using long-range weapons in some situations & getting up close & personal in others. To me it's important that I was challenged by a hunt, whatever the range.

I've had a think and for what you want I'd go with a 3.5-10x40 leupold mark 4 with M3 turrets if you can afford it ? I have personally killed deer at 580m with this on a .308 and never felt under scoped ?

I like the idea of the Vortex PST 2.5-10x44, you can make a drop chart or use software for reticle holds up close but you have the turrets that can take you out as far as 10x is good for ya. For me I have no trouble shooting at 1000yrds with 10x.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.