Hunting with a Modern Sporting Rifle Opinions

Sorry, but off topic but…
Am I the only one who feels the term MSR is a concession to appease the fudds and anti crowd?
Yes, it was coined by the pro gun industry in response to their "weapons of war" to show they do have other/sporting applications. I don't mind the term myself cause its an appropriate label as long as it doesn't distract from the fact the 2A has nothing to do with hunting.
It hasn't made any difference in favor of gun rights IMO. I don't think they will ever be more popular than bolt rifles for hunting though but they are handy in the field.

Am I the only one who feels the term MSR is a concession to appease the fudds and anti crowd?
it is
it started at the time dicks (i was working there at the time) got in hot water about selling "assault" style weapons. MSR became a new buzzword
then eventually dicks stopped selling all together. it was sad. my store was #1 in gun sales in our area of 4 other stores for years. we would always get the latest and greatest stuff. thats how i got my troy, on a BF special

I agree, especially in the sense that it seems like a misnomer designed to make the "AR" into something it is not. To me, the true Modern Sporting Rifles are the carbon-fiber tensioned barrels in ultralight target chassis, specifically engineered to shoot the most modern, advanced hunting ammunition. They are modern twist on the classic bolt-action design, but they are certainly more relevant to "sporting" pursuits than modular, gas operated, semi-automatic, tactical rifles are.

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy hunting with an AR, especially woodchucks and coyotes, but it will never be the most suitable tool for large game hunting. And I don't think I need to convince anyone here that large game hunting holds, by far, the largest portion of the "sporting" market share.

FWIW... If we really want to convince the anti-gunners that ARs belong in the hands of civilians, playing word games probably isn't our best approach.

I have an AR in 458 SOCOM which is an absolute hammer on deer and great for still hunting. I built a 6.5 Grendel pistol for my son to start using deer hunting when he was 9. The only downside to ARs for hunting is that all that aluminum gets really cold in the fall/Winter.

I didn't think I needed an AR for the longest time, then after Sandy Hook I got one because I thought the ban might go through. Once I got to know them I now have nine, most of them for varmint hunting. They make great stalking rifles for prairie dogs.