Hunting with a Modern Sporting Rifle Opinions

Got a 6mm ARC upper and I'm impressed with this little cartridge for Tennessee whitetail deer.

I've always been a bolt gun guy so this is my first foray into AR platform hunting. I can see pros and cons.

Anyone here become a modern sporting rifle fan for hunting?
My son and my granddaughter hunt with MSR's. 6.5 Grendel and 300 Blackout. I built a 6 ARC for deer and hogs but sold it before I hunted with it.

The 6 ARC I built was a 1/2 moa gun even at 400 yds.

I use several of them for hunting.....I really like them for youth hunters. With adjustable stocks and 16" barrels they end up being relatively light weight and actually fit them. 6.5 grendel and now 400 legend are what my hunting MSR's are chambered in.

I also like the sling setups for MSR, for both me and the young ones. It seems like with bolt actions I usually end up carrying their rifle at some point in the day....not so much with the msr. I know you could modify a bolt stock but I haven't yet.

When I was hiking into a spot elk hunting this year, I saw a guy on horseback with an AK. It gave me a chuckle.

In all seriousness, I don't have an issue with them for hunting! But….I'll choose a bolt gun for long range, precision work, which is pretty much all the hunting I do. I have been know to carry iron sighted battle rifles for a little challenge though.

The AR's do make good youth rifles. I have hunted with AR's in 6.5 and 6.8. They will get the job done. However the aluminum rails are cold as heck in cold weather and I prefer a little more HP in my hunting rifles and without stepping up to the AR 10 which are heavy as heck your not getting there.

My 6 arc coyote and deer rifle
IMG_4043.jpeg