14.5 lb hunting rifle...opinions?

9 lbs field ready is my max if I'm going to still hunt with it.

An ambush rifle that rides an ATV to a set up point 16 lbs (arbitrary to comply with Idaho regulations).

My .300 Winchester Magnum makes the 16, my .338 is 11.5.

The OLDER you get the LIGHTER you want......:D

......and the LIGHTER it is, the MORE it costs......:D

Titanium actions, Carbon Fiber stocks and lighter scopes and mounts all cost more money than their steel counterparts.....

So: When you are older (like me), you can (hopefully) afford to induldge in a lightweight but accurate rifle......

In my case, I want (and have achieved) a less than 8 pound stick with ammunition in the belly.

Was it cheap? Hell no. Is it practical for an old man (I'm 66)? Absolutely.

When you reach 'old fart' status, every ounce counts.

There are, of course limitations involved. You cannot get a magnum caliber cannon under 8 pounds but with careful choice in caliber, loads and components, it's doable.

If they ever come up with a carbon fiber action and tube, I'll be first in line for them. Maybe I can break 6 pounds someday......

A heavier rifle is more accurate and easier to shoot than a light one, all else being equal. My 7 SAUM is a few ounces over 14 lbs and it is a pleasure to shoot and hunt with. The best advice I can give you is to invest in a quality pack to carry the rifle. I tried using only a sling and it was a miserable failure. My e-stock X1 pack is perfect for carrying the rifle and hunting gear. Before my wife became a Marine Officer, we lived in Rapid City, SD and carried the rifle all over the prairie and Black Hills. The pack made all the difference with the heavier rifle.

I always take two rifles on any given hunt.

First is a glassing & long range rig weighing in between 15-16.5# (6.5 SLR w. 27" Sendero contour w. brake @ 16.5# for deer hunts, .300RUM w. 27.5" fluted Sendero contour w. brake @ 15.2# for elk hunts). Pack it to the top and sit and glass for hours.

Second is a still hunting/mountain gun, still weighing in at 10+#. A .25-06 Ackley w. 28" #5 sporter @ 12# for deer, 7mmRM w. 26" fluted #5 sporter @ 10.5" for elk). Carry it with you when you hike. 4# is a lot of weight by the end of a day after 8-10+ hours and 10 miles.

Depending on the day and plans (and previous day's fatigue), I go back and forth.

But I would rather trek a 16# gun that shoots lights out than a 7# mountain rifle that would limit my range to 200-300 yards because it is not accurate.

My son-in-law has a .308 Win that weighs about 7# with scope, and that thing sucks to shoot. It has more felt recoil than my 15+# .300RUM. And it is a 1.5+ MOA gun at best. Plenty for shots out to 300 or so, but not much more in my opinion. It works for most still hunting scenarios, but not for a glassing or cross canyon rifle where you might need a 600+ yard gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.