Setting zero for hunting rifle with turrets?

When I dial I typically set at 100 yards. But when hunting and I may get a fast shot, or more likely, from 0-300 yards I set the appropriate zero for a point blank shot. That way I can pull up and aim dead on and be within +/- so many inches depending on the vital zone size of my prey. For a custom dial I think that's what I would do. Much the same when I only use a reticle for holdovers. For dialing while using a ballistics app I set 100 yard zero. Either way is fine so pick one that works easiest for you.

When I dial I typically set at 100 yards. But when hunting and I may get a fast shot, or more likely, from 0-300 yards I set the appropriate zero for a point blank shot. That way I can pull up and aim dead on and be within +/- so many inches depending on the vital zone size of my prey. For a custom dial I think that's what I would do. Much the same when I only use a reticle for holdovers. For dialing while using a ballistics app I set 100 yard zero. Either way is fine so pick one that works easiest for you.
I never considered doing this. Good idea.

I zeroed at 100. Then depending on the situation I will just set turret to 200 or 300 or whatever suites the terrain.
This is how I set up all of my rifles. 100 zero as that allows for the most accurate setting for the scope to the load/rifle. Then dial up a number that fits the situation. Always return to zero once that hunt is over.

Being consistent with the zero across all rifles allows that one "what did I zero this rifle at" question to become a non-issue when a trophy steps out at 347 yds or more. Just add more to the scope and send it.

Doing that you essentially set a 200 or 300 yard zero.
Not necessarily. Possibly it could be considered a "temporary" zero but the scope settings nor the zero stop are not revised/changed for this new/temporary condition. Returning the scope to the previous "100 yd zero" (the actual zero on the turret) removes the temporary condition and no further adjustments are required.
I only temporarily change the scope setting when there is a quick shot probability. As in hunting a sendero or pipe line where a deer might quickly cross that area, stopping hopefully once for just a second. No time for really even range finding (that has already been done) and is part of the circumstances that dictate what amount of come up you dial into the scope.

Last edited:
I have always been a hold over shooter and am now going to use a custom turret on my long range rifle and was wondering what zero to use, most shots are under 300 yds but want to bet able to shoot out to 700yds.

We have used a 300 yard zero for many years, very comfortable with it! When we got our Leupold CDS scopes we kept our 300 yard zero, and went with the "zero-stop" turrets…..which gave us over 900 yards using the turret! We have no intention to shoot that far….but, it is available! 😉 memtb

Recent Posts