budget hunting rifle

killerspoons

cost of both need to be under $1200 and loooking to use it out to 500 yards on deer/elk once I get good enough. recoil needs to be around a 30-06 preferably less. in my last thread I forgot to mention that i'm 14 and will start reloading with my dad soon and I cant save up any more money. i was thinking about getting a tc venture in .280rem beacause the 60degree bolt lift and accuracy guarantee and getting to clearidge xp5 with the mildot reticle and using the 162gr hornady a-max wouldt that work or what are some other choices. this will also be my first rifle that is mine

That would probably be a fine rifle, and Savage is another company with a reputation for reasonably priced accurate rifles. You will want a good scope, not a cheap one. A good one to look at would be the SWFA 3-9x42 tactical scope. This scope has a reputation for having very accurate and repeatable turrets, along with good glass a mil dot reticle, and a reasonable price for what you get. Repeatable turrets are very important. Go to SWFA.com.
If you look around you can find a good rifle and scope used. The tactical shooting sites are a good place to find the scope used, and you might find a good rifle on any of the hunting/shooting web sights.
500 yards is not that far once you start to practice and learn some things, and another tool you will need to shoot that far is a rangefinder.
You can find really good ballistic software here on LRH in the G7 Ballistics Calculator, and even factory ballistics information will be close enough to get you started. Just take it into the field, shoot at 5oo, compare the results on paper to what your ballistic print-outs tell you and correct your bullet speed input until the ballistic calculation matches what you got in actual field shooting.
One thing to consider is recoil. It is much easier to shoot accurately if your rifle does not rattle your teeth at every shot. I started out at 14 with an '06 and found the 180 gr. loads I liked kicked hard enough I developed a flinch. Lighter bullet weights, or even better a smaller caliber like the 270, will kill elk just fine and are easier to master. Shoot well first, shoot big and powerful second.

Go for a bottom end model in the Savage line. They are known for having great out-of-the-box accuracy. I would go with the Rem 7mm Mag. Ballistically, it is on par with the 30-06, but the 7mm bullets have a better BC for the weight. You can load the cartridge down to 140 gr. bullets (or purchased for that matter). Do the barrel break-in right.

Regarding glass, SWFA is a good way to go. Also, the Vortex Viper PST (second focal plane) in 4-16x50mm might be another option. If weight is a consideration, take a look at the Leupold VX-3 in the 4.5-14x40mm CDS. Leupold is currently offering an $80 rebate on that model.

Good Luck.

Leupold and Stevens has come to the realization that they have effectively priced themselves out of the very market they wish to dominate, the mid priced optics market.

So, offer substantial rebates instead of actually lowering your prices to be in line with the market you wish to dominate. I sometimes wonder about corporate sales philosophy.

I'll take a Vortex over the Leupold and raise me a spotting scope as well.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.