Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

morning, I have not seen or read anything about the BC of the Hornady bullets.

I can tell u that the LRX Barnes in not a board

for reference:
Barnes
7mm 145gr. LRX
L. 1.422
ogive starts at .720
bt starts at .213
BC .486

7mm Barnes LRX
L 1.582
BC .550

Berger 7MM
168gr. VLD
L 1.480
ogive starts at .800
bt starts at .217
BC .617

THE BARNES LRX BULLETS DO NOT LOOK LIKE BOARDS TO ME???? MAYBE U NEED TO CHECK THE DEPTH OF UR SAW DUST??

MY THINKING IS TO BUY THE BEST TO POSSIBLY MAKE THE BEST??

If you go back to my original post you would see I listed an attachment regarding the BCs of the ELD-X bullets. The reason the ELDs are superior to the Barnes is because they have higher BCs and perform at all ranges, where the Barnes doesn't expand at lower velocities. For those looking for in field performance, Gunwerks had an episode on their Long Range Pursuit television show where they tested the ELDs on pronghorn at varying ranges. You may be able to find the episode on YouTube.

If you go back to my original post you would see I listed an attachment regarding the BCs of the ELD-X bullets. The reason the ELDs are superior to the Barnes is because they have higher BCs and perform at all ranges, where the Barnes doesn't expand at lower velocities. For those looking for in field performance, Gunwerks had an episode on their Long Range Pursuit television show where they tested the ELDs on pronghorn at varying ranges. You may be able to find the episode on YouTube.

I put the link to it on page 16 of this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB9wPDcdXmY

Long Range Pursuit taking Hornady reps on an antelope hunt after their long range shooting class...pretty much certain they are testing the ELD-X bullet if you listen to them talk about it. They say they pretty much are doing this hunt for a bullet test. They show kills at 850 yds @ 7:20, 500 yds @ 14:10, and 650 yds @ 19:00. Using 300 win. mag, they don't say any other info like bullet weight, speed, ect. They do however show entrance and exit wounds on antelope.

Great video! Thanks for sharing Cody and Jud96!

morning, good info. when the BC is published on these super bullets, I will observe.

the same was done on the VLD bergers, nosler AB's Remington green tips, Barnes, all

these bullets got the whoopla about there new bullets. I do know from experience

that Barnes LRX bullets r for accuracy, hunting and killing shock and blood trails.

I have never tried them at 1000yrds. Barnes bullets perform with very good accuracy.

u talk BC's. I realize that a very good

BC shortens flight time of a bullet in various range situations. maybe u personally

should take a latter test of all of the Long Range Bullets for purchase at this time.

then u could go elk hunting kill an animal with all of the various long range bullets.

ask the dead animals if they felt any difference in the internal implosion inside there

bodies. the only difference in accuracy would be seen in long range target shooting.

I will stick with Barnes LRX bullets, I also like bergers, lapua, sierra match, noslerAB

and hornady 154grs in my 7mm mag. each of the bullets I use serves accuracy and

performance in various calibers. right now I have 77 boxes of bullets in various

calibers and makes. I shoot .223, .243,.244,.257.,264,.284,.308,.388,.44. if possible

daily.gun)

I have limited experience (2-5shot groups at 100 Yds) with the 200 gr. LRX in my 300 WIn Mag using H4831sc as follows:

71 gr. .70" @ avg. 2718fps.

My groups with 200 gr. ELD-X were:

71gr. .60"@ 100 YDS @ 2710; .90" @ 200 YDS

72gr. .50" @ 100 @ 2745; .75" @ 200

The superior BC of the ELD-X seems to make a positive difference.

"Non-scientific" of course, but I'm going to keep working on an ideal load for the ELD-X
and will try to get velocity up to the low to mid 2800's with H4831sc once I find the best one (accuracy and velocity) without pressure signs, then I will do the same with RL22 just for kicks (maybe get another 50 fps), but in my rifle, I have doubts as to whether the accuracy will be as good.

morning, good info. when the BC is published on these super bullets, I will observe.

the same was done on the VLD bergers, nosler AB's Remington green tips, Barnes, all

these bullets got the whoopla about there new bullets. I do know from experience

that Barnes LRX bullets r for accuracy, hunting and killing shock and blood trails.

I have never tried them at 1000yrds. Barnes bullets perform with very good accuracy.

u talk BC's. I realize that a very good

BC shortens flight time of a bullet in various range situations. maybe u personally

should take a latter test of all of the Long Range Bullets for purchase at this time.

then u could go elk hunting kill an animal with all of the various long range bullets.

ask the dead animals if they felt any difference in the internal implosion inside there

bodies. the only difference in accuracy would be seen in long range target shooting.

I will stick with Barnes LRX bullets, I also like bergers, lapua, sierra match, noslerAB

and hornady 154grs in my 7mm mag. each of the bullets I use serves accuracy and

performance in various calibers. right now I have 77 boxes of bullets in various

calibers and makes. I shoot .223, .243,.244,.257.,264,.284,.308,.388,.44. if possible

daily.gun)
77 boxes?? That's all???

Heck I've got 50 boxes of bullets loaded... Most of us are excited to see a popularly priced bullet manufacturer actually put a bullet out that promises a bit more predictable performance than some of the (not so)wonder bullets that have been put out lately.
I'll put the Eld-x pills in action in every rifle that they can be used in if they deliver as they should. I've killed dozens of critters with Hornady pills with great results... We also use the heck out of Sierra and put critters down with Nosler ab pills, but not the ablr... The ablr just aren't as good as they should be... Barnes are not good enough further out, as they need quite a bit of velocity to open well and actually inflict decent tissue trauma. I do use the 300tsx in my 375 h@h, mainly as long range performance isn't an issue with that rifle.

After several years I finally convinced my buddy to dump the Barnes TSX's for long range. He commented that he was just tired of blowing .308 holes through animals at long range.
He switched and used a "premium long range killing" bullet last year and was blown away with the performance on animals over 800 yards. You have to use the right bullet for the job.
We are all watching the ELD-X line with great curiosity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.