Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Wow. If the impact velocity was indeed around 1400'sec, that's encouraging to see that kind of expansion. The expansion isn't phenomenal in general but for such low velocity it's pretty serious!

Thanks for sharing.

What BC value was used to hit near 1600 yards?

I believe he used the published BC that is how he determined his velocity not by using a chrony by using that velocity and the published bc when shooting @ targets between 500 to 1800 yds they turned out to be pretty darn close there was the occasional flyer that would end up high or low but most of the time the elevation was spot on

Attachments

• HORNADY ELDX bullets.jpg
    HORNADY ELDX bullets.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Hornady, Berger, Chinchaga.jpg
    Hornady, Berger, Chinchaga.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 432
From the looks of them I would use either the 236 grainer or the 212 grainer.

Swamplord, which would you go with between the two? One is going to allow more velocity, but would the higher BC of the 236 beat it in the long run?

308 212 ELDX from a 300 w.m. on a cow elk @ just under 1600 yds sorry don't have pics of the animal but id say the bullet performed excellent I think it weighed about 194 grns can't wait to see how the 143's perform out of my 264 w.m.
View attachment 55643

Nice report! Great performance from the 212 ELD-X! Good to see its mushrooming at such long ranges! Thanks for sharing

From the looks of them I would use either the 236 grainer or the 212 grainer.

Swamplord, which would you go with between the two? One is going to allow more velocity, but would the higher BC of the 236 beat it in the long run?

Haven't shot any of the ELD-X bullets yet, sitting here loading up the 212's and 220's in my 300 LRH,
the ELD-X accuracy would have to be on par (or better) with the 236 gr Chinchaga bullets to even consider the ELD-X's for long range hunting, at least in that rifle ! I'm sending the 236 gr bullets at 3146 fps and 1/4" groups at 100 yards, with room to work up a bit more velocity, the ELD-X 212 gr bc is considerably lower, will have to see how fast I can make them go first, even IF they will beat the 236 gr bullets.... I believe the heavier bullet with that tip will expand better at much slower velocities and have more smack down on game

Just started load development testing this morning with the 212 ELD-X. Working up loads in 300 RUM and, believe it or not, 30-06. I loaded up just one load for each to calibrate powder burn rates for QuickLoad. I'll be doing a ladder test next (or at least I had though I would) but the 30-06 put 3 into 0.688" at 200 yards. I can't really shoot any better than that so not much point in a ladder test for that rifle. I thought of using the ELD-X in the 30-06 when I noticed that the impact velocity rating for this bullet is 1,600 to 3,000 fps which means that for shorter ranges it is a better fit to the bullet velocity than the RUM (though I'm still going to use the RUM for long range).

Loads in both rifles ran faster than I expected - must be the longer bearing surface. In the case of the 30-06 that was good as I backed way off on the load and still ended up near max. For the 300 RUM I just used my load for the 210 Berger but they went too fast with the ELD-X thus missing that accuracy node at 3040 fps so must be slowed down. Still shot 1 MOA but it is way better than that with the right load.

Bottom line, it looks like the accuracy potential of this bullet is pretty darn good based on a sample of one. The 30-06 is a Sako Finnbear with a 26" Krieger bull sporter and some bedding added so it is a bit of an upgrade from factory but is still a hunting weight rifle.

The Wife picked up an issue of the Rifle Sporting Firearms journal, January 2016 issue today and it has an article about the ELD, by Brian Pearce.

A 30 cal 200 ELDX fired from a special test barrel, used to simulate changing spin rate at various distances and other factors, at 150 yards had a 21" straight wound channel thru test media with a recovered bullet weight of 125 grs. Expansion seem to be underway at about the 2 inches of penetration with devastating tissue damage.

800 yards penetration was about 24 inches with the bullet having a recovered weight of 180 grains an displaying a classic mushroom profile.

I didn't see a velocity listed but would imagine it to be in the 28-2900 fps +- range.

The melting tip thing referenced in the article brought to mind a study or two done by the US Military and DARPA, one was in the 50's or 60's and dealt with high altitude firing of 50 MG and 20 mm cannons and the effects on the bullet/shell in flight and the DARPA was about laser/radar guided cannon shell and how high nose temperatures could be a potential problem for the guidance/control surfaces.

Been along time since I have seen either paper, but the heating issue tickled my foggy memory.

Going to take a wait and see stand on this design, let them work out the bugs, that and I have several thousand Speer 180 BTSP for my 300 win mag and having to sleep with the dog, because I went out and spent more money for bullets, is not something I really want to do....

Going to take a wait and see stand on this design, let them work out the bugs, that and I have several thousand Speer 180 BTSP for my 300 win mag and having to sleep with the dog, because I went out and spent more money for bullets, is not something I really want to do....

dogs do cuddle well though.....

I'm going to play a bit but not go in deep on these bullets 'till they prove themselves in my rifles.... If that happens, I'll have a few thousand other pills for sale in the classifieds... If they are like most other hornady pills, they will shoot very well...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts