Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Well, the 200 eld-x is a typical hornady...

I just popped off a .7 moa 5 shot group at 200 yesterday with my new 300rum using the 200 eld-x and 99gr rl33 in rp brass with a 215. Zero load development, simply seat the pill to fit the mag and let her buck with a healthy charge of powder.

Now .7 moa doesn't sound great until you realize I had a full inch of crosshair dance in the mirage from barrel heat in the 15 degree air. The humidity was high enough to see your breath so any more than a couple of shots were inducing nasty mirage. I simply sighted the rifle in with a new scope using another load, let her rest 5 minutes, let her buck with a fouler using the 200 eld-x/rl33, then went to work on the group...

I'll now load a few boxes of the load up and wring her out for average accuracy and load performance. I already know this pipe likes the 180 hdy interlock so the 200eld-x would have actually surprised me if it sucked.

I need a box of the 212's in 30 cal. and a box of 175's in 7mm to wring out a couple of other pipes.... It's game on for Hornady. :D
Great to hear Lefty! I will be getting some 200s soon to try in my .300 Win Mag! Good shooting, glad they are looking good so far.

Got out to the range on Sunday to do some load development with the 200gr ELD-X. I was shooting them from a Model 70 Bull Gun in .300 H&H, 72gr H4831 gave me 2919 fps with a SD of 7.4.

Group was .75 MOA at 100yds but would have been better if the front mount on my Unertl hadn't loosened up on me. After I fix this I'm going to bump the charge up a little more to see what kind of velocity I can get it up to and see if the groups improve.

Hopefully Midway will get the 178's in so I can test them in my Dads X-Bolt and my brothers Mark V both in .300 WM. If they shoot good then this will be the perfect bullet for these guns. Where we hunt your shots could range from 20 yds in the woods to 500+ on the field.

Since I have a couple boxes on order, today I called Hornady to check what is the maximum impact velocity for the 6.5 143 grainers. I have something like a .300 RUM necked to 6.5mm and something like a .264 Win Mag on steroids. He told me it would shed the vast majority of its weight with an impact velocity of 3,000 feet per second on impact! I put some info into JBM with an arbitrary muzzle velocity and what range would I need to get to his recommended velocity of 2,500 feet per second for maximum impact.

Muzzle: 3308 525 yards: 2523

Based on these numbers it looks like I will be ordering some Barnes 127LRX bullets.

Since I have a couple boxes on order, today I called Hornady to check what is the maximum impact velocity for the 6.5 143 grainers. I have something like a .300 RUM necked to 6.5mm and something like a .264 Win Mag on steroids. He told me it would shed the vast majority of its weight with an impact velocity of 3,000 feet per second on impact! I put some info into JBM with an arbitrary muzzle velocity and what range would I need to get to his recommended velocity of 2,500 feet per second for maximum impact.

Muzzle: 3308 525 yards: 2523

Based on these numbers it looks like I will be ordering some Barnes 127LRX bullets.

I changed that to Swift Scirocco 130 bonded.

I changed that to Swift Scirocco 130 bonded.

I shot the 130's and they performed great on my mule deer. I never did get the accuracy with them that I wanted.

wildcater said:
He told me it would shed the vast majority of its weight with an impact velocity of 3,000 feet per second on impact!.

Is that different than Bergers? I shot my two elk with 130 Precision Ballistic bullets which are similar to Bergers from my 6.5 WSM at 3420 fps. One at 300 and one at 400 yards. One was a pass through and the other barely expanded passing through.

Got mine from midway.

Attachments

• 20160108_233950.jpg
    20160108_233950.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 84
Your tips will melt.

Funny thing. I shot a lot of the 130 6.5's in my 264 and nearly half the time I'd have a tip come out of one of the bullets in the magazine. I tried to pull some out by hand and with pliers and they wouldn't budge. I never did figure that one out.

Tried the 143's in my 6.5-284 they shot terrible!! Tried bunch different seating depths and different powders.My rifle just dont like them.This rifle will print SMK's in the .2s and the eld's shot 1.5-1.75"

Tried the 143's in my 6.5-284 they shot terrible!! Tried bunch different seating depths and different powders.My rifle just dont like them.This rifle will print SMK's in the .2s and the eld's shot 1.5-1.75"

Any interest on your part to sell whatever you've got left of the 143's. I'm assuming they are the ELD-X and not the ELD-M's..

Yes possibly.I am going to try to trade them tomorrow at our local shop.he has some 208 eld match.If that dont work out i will let you know.

I really wanted to try the 7mm ELD-x's but Hornady announced these bullets too early. Obviously they aren't ready for prime time and aren't shipping months later. So I was thinking why change? The Berger don't have tips that can melt and they shoot lights out and kill sh1t dead. I decided screw it and canceled my order partly bc they cannot be better than I am using and time has given me a chance to think it through. Don't fix what isn't broken

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.