Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Once I learned that the ELD Match were nothing more than a re-tipped AMAX my buzz was gone STAT ! Not that there is something wrong with the AMAX and the new Hottie tips, I anticipated a new design with higher bc's but alas, the gal has a new shade of lipstick on with the same old booty !

the ELD-X bullets still have my attention and will be loading the 212's and 220's with full case doses of RL50 in my 300 LRH, right after I shoot the loads assembled with 50 BMG and the 225 gr BTSP Match Hornady bullets ......

Might not be that significant, but the 208gr ELD-M has an 11 point higher G7 BC according to hornady's testing compared to Bryan's testing of the 208 AMAX at .324 G7. I don't know if the difference in tips would correlate to the difference in BC, but the HeatShield tips on the 208 ELD-M definitely look more aerodynamic to me atleast...

Once I learned that the ELD Match were nothing more than a re-tipped AMAX my buzz was gone STAT ! Not that there is something wrong with the AMAX and the new Hottie tips, I anticipated a new design with higher bc's but alas, the gal has a new shade of lipstick on with the same old booty !

the ELD-X bullets still have my attention and will be loading the 212's and 220's with full case doses of RL50 in my 300 LRH, right after I shoot the loads assembled with 50 BMG and the 225 gr BTSP Match Hornady bullets ......
I'm have the opposite opinion of the 208. I had very good luck the the Amax and now that it has a higher BC I'm excited.... A .670 BC at $38.00 a box. I'm happy. But I was happy with the Amax so I'm easily pleased. Lol

They kept the match jackets, for obvious reasons, but the added interlock technology is not an insignificant item. Between that and redesigned front ends for expansion, these bullets behave differently than the Amax.

The ELD-X bullets have the newer version of the inter-lock tech but not the ELD-M bullets, they have the same Amp bullet jackets and profile found in the AMAX bullets with the new hottie tip added ...

It would have made a lot more long range sense if they made a heavier 7mm ELD-M bullet, at least 180 gr. and better yet 190 gr would have been optimum for real long range use, the 162 gr bullet kind of fits nowhere .... same with 30 cal, 220 -230 gr would have been awesome !
of course I'm speaking for myself and my rifles ....

Who knows ? Maybe Hornady will stick that hottie tip on their 225 gr BTHP Match bullet and call it good, I'd buy a bunch !

Looks like Hornady dropped these from their website .......AMAX bullets in 6.5mm 140 gr, .308 208 gr and the .338 in 285 gr,
the 7mm 162 gr AMAX is still there but probably will get pulled as soon as the ELD-M hits the streets ....

The ELD-X bullets have the newer version of the inter-lock tech but not the ELD-M bullets, they have the same Amp bullet jackets and profile found in the AMAX bullets with the new hottie tip added ...

It would have made a lot more long range sense if they made a heavier 7mm ELD-M bullet, at least 180 gr. and better yet 190 gr would have been optimum for real long range use, the 162 gr bullet kind of fits nowhere .... same with 30 cal, 220 -230 gr would have been awesome !
of course I'm speaking for myself and my rifles ....

Who knows ? Maybe Hornady will stick that hottie tip on their 225 gr BTHP Match bullet and call it good, I'd buy a bunch !

Looks like Hornady dropped these from their website .......AMAX bullets in 6.5mm 140 gr, .308 208 gr and the .338 in 285 gr,
the 7mm 162 gr AMAX is still there but probably will get pulled as soon as the ELD-M hits the streets ....

Yep. Missed the Match reference. ELD-M are just retipped. They've accomplished a lot this last year. I've been lobbying for the same heavies. The workload on those guys is pretty big, don't expect them for quite a while!

I spoke to both the designers of these new two lines of bullets at SHOT. The ELD M and ELD X are not an Amax bullet at all. They are both completely different designs, longer boat tails etc...

The reason for the 143 ELD-X in 6.5 is because it was the heaviest they could go to keep it at that length and able to fit Mag length and shoot well. they tested several in different weights and they settled on the 143 because it worked the best in a bunch of different rifles. They even tested them at 2000 yards using Doppler. They will only share the results out to 800.

Also, the 3000 feet per second comments is not accurate. I asked about that today. I shoot the Warbird at 3500 FPS. They said that the tips are rated at 3,000 but not even the Lazzeroni Warbird maintains that velocity long enough for it to effect the tips at all. That's just the thresh hold. So there is no reason to worry about that!

I can't wait to try the .338 now after seeing them in person!

I spoke to both the designers of these new two lines of bullets at SHOT. The ELD M and ELD X are not an Amax bullet at all. They are both completely different designs, longer boat tails etc...

What .338 bullet are you referring to? Did Hornady or someone else at SHOT Show tell you Hornady is manufacturing either the ELD-M or the ELD-X in .338 caliber? If so, which bullet weight?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 67
The 208 Amax and the 208 ELD are the exact same bullets with different tips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 85

The reason for the 143 ELD-X in 6.5 is because it was the heaviest they could go to keep it at that length and able to fit Mag length and shoot well. they tested several in different weights and they settled on the 143 because it worked the best in a bunch of different rifles. They even tested them at 2000 yards using Doppler. They will only share the results out to 800.

Also, the 3000 feet per second comments is not accurate. I asked about that today. I shoot the Warbird at 3500 FPS. They said that the tips are rated at 3,000 but not even the Lazzeroni Warbird maintains that velocity long enough for it to effect the tips at all. That's just the thresh hold. So there is no reason to worry about that!

The guys at SHOT lied to you about the 208 ELD. It's the same bullet as the Amax. I have no reason not to believe that the rest of the ELD-M bullets are just retipped Amax's as well. Especially since at least one other member has some and determined they are the same...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.