Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

have you measured both bullets side by side? I will head over and ask him them again. especially about the 208. I don't use those pills so they have little interest in them

I've measured to 208 and 6.5 140 AMAXs and ELDMs side by side. For all intents and purposes, they are the same except for the tips. There was a very minor difference in the bearing surface length but no more than normal variances between lots.

The ELD-M is just a re-tipped Amax. This is absolute fact. We may see new designs as Hornady continues to innovate.

The 208 eld i have measure different ojive to basethan my 208 amax.They also shot 50 fps faster with same powder charge .Same lot of powder.

The 208 eld i have measure different ojive to basethan my 208 amax.They also shot 50 fps faster with same powder charge .Same lot of powder.
Mine do not. They are the exact same. I would tend to believe Skip, and I do on this subject. Especially since I have my own and they measure the exact same...
Maybe you could post some pics of the two side by side...

Was not arguing.That was just my findings. 2016-01-20 15.38.27.jpg

2016-01-20 15.39.25.jpg

Was not arguing.That was just my findings.View attachment 56604

View attachment 56605

So I spoke to both the balliticians from Hornady. they said that the 208 Amax and new ELD M are the same, just the tips were changed. the 140 Amax in 6.5 I would assume is the same from the Amax and ELD M.

now the ELD X line of the 208 and 143 are not the same. their jackets are more than double the thickness and the bullet had to go through some shape and design changes to accommodate the thicker jacket.

I think everyone is confusing the ELD X and ELD M on this thread. the X are different then the old Amax bullets.

I think everyone is confusing the ELD X and ELD M on this thread. the X are different then the old Amax bullets.

I think the majority understood that the ELD-X was a different jacket, and the more interesting of the two for large game hunting. Which is why I'm disappointed they currently have no plan for production of a .338 ELD-X.

I think the majority understood that the ELD-X was a different jacket, and the more interesting of the two for large game hunting. Which is why I'm disappointed they currently have no plan for production of a .338 ELD-X.

yes. that is a bummer. they said that they had more plans, but for now they wanted to just focus on these, I asked because I wanted to see the Grendel get some love. no go.

Sierra said they can't add a tip because their machine isn't big enough that inserts the plastic tips.

it makes you wonder on why Hornady is the only ones that had this issue with the tips melting

So I spoke to both the balliticians from Hornady. they said that the 208 Amax and new ELD M are the same, just the tips were changed. the 140 Amax in 6.5 I would assume is the same from the Amax and ELD M.

now the ELD X line of the 208 and 143 are not the same. their jackets are more than double the thickness and the bullet had to go through some shape and design changes to accommodate the thicker jacket.

There is no confusion what so ever on my end.
Reason: I measured the 208 ELD-M with the 208 Amax. Hornady is NOT making a 208 ELD-X bullet.

Ive been shooting amax'es also been reading this whole thread.id like to start doind load dev for 212 eld x..but ive been searching where to get them.and OUT OF STOCK..can someone point me where they have them in stock.tnx
(I know its little off from topic)

Pinoykillaz I think you will find Sportman's Warehouse has the 212 gr ELD-X in their online store. I just got some two days ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.