Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

I really wanted to try the 7mm ELD-x's but Hornady announced these bullets too early. Obviously they aren't ready for prime time and aren't shipping months later. So I was thinking why change? The Berger don't have tips that can melt and they shoot lights out and kill sh1t dead. I decided screw it and canceled my order partly bc they cannot be better than I am using and time has given me a chance to think it through. Don't fix what isn't broken

I am close to taking this approach also lol.

I too have grown tired of waiting on the 7mm bullet to become available. I understand the whole big announcement and wait thing to build momentum for the product. IMO we are beyond that and have reached the ridiculous stage. Hornady is a big company that should understand the market and the demands associated with a new product like this one. I had plans to play with the ELD-X post hunting season to pass the time til turkey season opens.
I'm certainly not a Harvard business professor but I don't understand the logic behind hyping a product the way they did, and then not having them available for purchase?!? I have a big box of Berger that will continue to serve my needs, along with quite a few Accubonds as well...

Disappointing because I've always had good luck with the Amax and looked forward to being able to hunt with the ELDX as they should perform fairly similar.

I get the frustration, I worked a load for the 215 Berger and it became a ghost bullet for several months. And I seen a time when Berger and Extreme Outer Limits announced a 195 grain 7mm and it took months for it to come out... So what I'm saying is, all companies hit speed bumps. All companies wish they could make bullets magically appear when the demand is at its fullest... The Bergers are out there available for you... The Hornadys are not... I'm sure Hornady regrets that...
I'm sure Hornady is working as fast as they can to change that...

It took Berger 3-1/2 years to get their new 7mm to market after it was announced. Hornady has until June 2019 to beat that.

Last edited:
I'm grateful that 2 of the 30 cal weights and the 6.5 143 became available within just a few weeks after the announcement.

The ABLRs were announced 10/31/12 and the 210s weren't available until 6 months after the announcement.

The 190s weren't for I think a year later.

I still have not seen a single box of any caliber ABLR in my area. I bet hornady beats that.

I'm grateful that 2 of the 30 cal weights and the 6.5 143 became available within just a few weeks after the announcement.

The ABLRs were announced 10/31/12 and the 210s weren't available until 6 months after the announcement.

The 190s weren't for I think a year later.
I forgot about Noslers inflated disappointment...

It's really quite simple:

Announce a new bullet. Build the hype, anticipation, and create market demand.

When they finally become available, sell a bunch of bullets.

Several companies are guilty of this.

I got a bunch of 6.5's coming. I must have been to far down the back order list at Midway for the 175 7 mm's or the 212,220 30 cal.
Interested in the performance out of my 6.5 SS for the 143's.
The 3000 fps limit is something I will have to test out.
6.5 SS 3175 fps -- 140 berger
284 Thor. 3250 fps -- 195 berger
300 Rogue. 3250 fps -- 230 Berger.

Anything under 300 yards is iffy on bullet performance.
I, as most shooters, ask a lot from a bullet. This offering is good for the progression of the bullet construction and what we need as long range hunters.

I got a bunch of 6.5's coming. I must have been to far down the back order list at Midway for the 175 7 mm's or the 212,220 30 cal.
Interested in the performance out of my 6.5 SS for the 143's.
The 3000 fps limit is something I will have to test out.
6.5 SS 3175 fps -- 140 berger
284 Thor. 3250 fps -- 195 berger
300 Rogue. 3250 fps -- 230 Berger.

Anything under 300 yards is iffy on bullet performance.
I, as most shooters, ask a lot from a bullet. This offering is good for the progression of the bullet construction and what we need as long range hunters.
I agree, shooters are going to benefit big time from this design. It's going to cause the the other manufacturers to step up their game, I can only imagine the bullet designs that are going to come from this in the next ten years. I do think that the other companies would benefit from getting Dopplar radar.

From all that has been said, even by Hornady and Gunwerks, the ELD-X is tougher than a Amax right? I've shot 3 cow elk with 140 Amax's going 3000fps+ at impact in the last 3-4 years and haven't had one go more than 10'. This is 3230fps muzzle velocity and all 3 were under 125yds. One totally blew through the whole spine at 20-25 yards. It was wounded and I jumped it up out of some brush and made a snap shot on it (not easy with a 13+lb rifle and a Nightforce 5.5x22). There was a big gaping hole where the bones use to be. I wouldn't sweat the 3000fps max velocity thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.