Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

308 212 ELDX from a 300 w.m. on a cow elk @ just under 1600 yds sorry don't have pics of the animal but id say the bullet performed excellent I think it weighed about 194 grns can't wait to see how the 143's perform out of my 264 w.m.
20151115_203731.jpg

I just bought some 200 grainers for my 300wsm cant wait to see how they shoot. Does anyone have any advise on powders that have worked well for them in that combination.

stephenr6565
Hornady says these bullets are good on game down to 1,600 fps. It looks like you proved that they have some margin in that spec as this bullet would have been doing about 1,115 fps with 585 ft lbs energy left. (I assumed you were at 1,570 yards.) Where did you hit the cow? What did it do when hit? How far did the bullet penetrate? How far did the animal travel before dropping?

I'm figuring to use this bullet in my 300 RUM where it will fall to the 1,600 fps min that Hornady recommends at about 1,250 yards which is a bit past what I'll need. Now what do I do with all those other bullets I have where the tips will melt?

77 boxes?? That's all???

Heck I've got 50 boxes of bullets loaded... Most of us are excited to see a popularly priced bullet manufacturer actually put a bullet out that promises a bit more predictable performance than some of the (not so)wonder bullets that have been put out lately.
I'll put the Eld-x pills in action in every rifle that they can be used in if they deliver as they should. I've killed dozens of critters with Hornady pills with great results... We also use the heck out of Sierra and put critters down with Nosler ab pills, but not the ablr... The ablr just aren't as good as they should be... Barnes are not good enough further out, as they need quite a bit of velocity to open well and actually inflict decent tissue trauma. I do use the 300tsx in my 375 h@h, mainly as long range performance isn't an issue with that rifle.

Lefty.... If you lived in Ohio, you'd be arrested and charged as a terriorist.....:D

I'm gonna put this thread to bed (as in discontinue e-mail notification). Getting well.... boring.

I'll stick with my modded Bergers and Sierra's..........

I have a box on order (30 cal) to fiddle with but I doubt they will replace my VLD Bergers.

Stephen6565
Do you know the velocity of the bullet at that distance?. Very impressive.

My brother is the one that shot it I was spotting for him his muzzle velocity is around 2950 which is pretty darn fast for a 300 w.m. with that heavy of a bullet we were around 6500 -7000 ft in elevation he used his kestrel and his ballistics program so I'm not sure what the estimated velocity was but I'm sure you can use those numbers and get a decent idea of what the Impact velocity was the distance was about 1590 yds

My brother is the one that shot it I was spotting for him his muzzle velocity is around 2950 which is pretty darn fast for a 300 w.m. with that heavy of a bullet we were around 6500 -7000 ft in elevation he used his kestrel and his ballistics program so I'm not sure what the estimated velocity was but I'm sure you can use those numbers and get a decent idea of what the Impact velocity was the distance was about 1590 yds

Do you remember the temperature?

Using 30F., 6750'ASL and 2950'/sec, 78% humidity, 1582 yards, it should have been around 1400'sec at the published G7BC.

Looks like they're coming gents, a month late but they are here ,
Just picked these up at a local Sportsmans Warehouse

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 90
Looks like they're coming gents, a month late but they are here ,
Just picked these up at a local Sportsmans Warehouse

That's funny! I stopped at the Wasilla sportsmans about 10:30 and they didn't have anything ELDX or M. Of course the shipments there usually show up in the afternoon but I stopped in at cabelas and sportsmans in anchorage this afternoon and sportsmans had the 140, 143, 208s and the 212s. Only one box each. Of course I horded them all!

The temp was right around 30 give or take a few degrees humidity was probably around 30 or 40 %

Wow. If the impact velocity was indeed around 1400'sec, that's encouraging to see that kind of expansion. The expansion isn't phenomenal in general but for such low velocity it's pretty serious!

Thanks for sharing.

What BC value was used to hit near 1600 yards?

That's funny! I stopped at the Wasilla sportsmans about 10:30 and they didn't have anything ELDX or M. Of course the shipments there usually show up in the afternoon but I stopped in at cabelas and sportsmans in anchorage this afternoon and sportsmans had the 140, 143, 208s and the 212s. Only one box each. Of course I horded them all!

After I read your post that you scored, I figured I'd go check out Sportsmans, nothing on the shelves so I asked one of the gun counter guys if they had got some ELD-X's in as I'd requested two weeks ago, he didn't know but dug around in a couple boxes on a pallet near the scopes, found me one box of the 212's and left, I then opened every single carton on the two pallets and came across two each of what you see in pic I posted earlier, That's all they had for now and I got all of them, not a big deal since most of the Harry Dick Toms around here would not know wth they are anyway !
Also scored a brick of primers, Federal GM210M

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.