Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

December's issue of Shooting Times has a good read in two areas about this new bullet. I'm waiting on some .284" 162 grainers to arive. If they can beat-out the A-Max I may be a broke $$ boy for a bit! LOL :D

Just got in a box of the .308 200 grainers for my buddies 300 weatherby, I'm not sure how soon we will get to shoot these but has anyone had a chance to load some up yet? I'm planning on working up to the 200 gr accubond & retumbo data from the hogdgon site, figured they should be close in ballistics. Sweet looking bullet! I might have to try some in .264 and .284 later this spring if we have good luck w them. Are these supposed to be sensitive to seating depth? I think I will have to jump them quite a bit in this chamber.

What speeds are you shooting for?

With the A-Max 162 gr. and 71 grains of Retumbo I'm getting 3080 fps. for my best accuracy node. I played around a bit and was able to squeak out 3145 fps., but it wasn't a pretty target. I really don't know why I'm wanting to work with this bullet. . .I have such a great history with the A-Max that I shouldn't be complaining. . . -BUT- . . . I think it is just the "Male Thing" in me. . .BIGGER BETTER STRONGER FASTER - AR AR AR! ! ! :rolleyes:

So with this new line of bullets. I am gathering that the boys at Gunwerks have been shooting them for a while. What info has been learned about a seating depth. Do these bullets like jump or prefer to be jammed?

Brian

Just got back from the range after shooting 200 gr. ELD-X's in my Rem 700 in 300 WM.

Here are my data:

Followed Hornady's advice re H4831sc 61 to 73.8 gr.

I tried two loads both with Rem brass, Fed215M primers, loaded out to 3.555" (.020 off the lands).

71gr. - 5 shot avg. = 2710 fps / .60" @100; .90" @200

72gr. - 5 shot avg. = 2745 fps / .50" @100; .75" @200

Notes: noticed partial flattening of primer on one case.

Plan to work up in .5gr. Increments while watching for further signs of excessive pressure (doubt that I will get to or even try Hornady's Max load of 73.8gr.). 73.8 seems a bit high to me; have shot 73gr. of H4831sc behind 190 ABLRs w/o excessive pressure signs.

Your thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.