Help Me Decide on Rifle Trade

Trade?

• Yes

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 50.0%

• Total voters

matthaias

I recently bought a 700 SPS stainless 300WM off GunBroker, and the barrel was falsely advertised as being 26". To my disappointment when I picked it up from my FFL, I noticed it had a 24" barrel.

I have an opportunity this weekend to trade my buddy for his 700 BDL 300WM with a 26" barrel straight up. Both are early to mid 90s, mine is stainless his is not. The stock is not a consideration because I have a Stockys fiberglass sporter that it is going in. I am loading 215gr bullets for it.

What would you do, trade or no?

I can't justify the cost of a rebarrel right now. I just got into reloading, have two kids and a third on the way. I'm just trying to get some performance out of a factory 700 with a stock, Timney, and some hand loads. I was leaning towards the trade since a 26" barrel is what I wanted, but I also wanted stainless. The poll is confirming my choice, thanks for helping!

.........If I was in your shoes I'd keep it and add a quality brake. You'll lose a little velocity but nothing RL26 can't make up for.........

It's a bit theoretical at this point if one of these .300's will actually deliver more MV than the other.

You know this, and it's why your needing help to decide.

I'd trade probably because it would irritate me that I didn't get what I ordered every time I looked at it.

I recently bought a 700 SPS stainless 300WM off GunBroker, and the barrel was falsely advertised as being 26". To my disappointment when I picked it up from my FFL, I noticed it had a 24" barrel.

I have an opportunity this weekend to trade my buddy for his 700 BDL 300WM with a 26" barrel straight up. Both are early to mid 90s, mine is stainless his is not. The stock is not a consideration because I have a Stockys fiberglass sporter that it is going in. I am loading 215gr bullets for it.

What would you do, trade or no?
I would prefer the stainless myself And it will need to be rebarreled sooner or later much like ammunition barrels are consumable also +2 inches more barrel only equate to what 60 ft./s or so that can be made up with your hand loads and will be easier to handle being shorter

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.