Help me decide on a gun

encoreguy

I am going on an Elk hunt this fall and I have kind of decided on either a 7RM or 300WM. The 2 guns I am kind of deciding between are the Savage LR hunter in 7RM or the Savage 110 with HS Precision stock in 300WM. I have never met a Savage I did not like and all of my Savage rifles will do 1/2 MOA right out of the box. I wanted to rebarrel a 10FP to 7MM SAUM but am a little concerned on Brass availability. I like the 7RM but am not sure about the thinner barrel on the long range hunter? I like the stock and heavier barrel on the FP110 but it may be a bit heavy? I want a gun that will handle this hunt, plus give me a nice platform for long range target shooting and hunting. I currently have (3) 10FP's and love the stocks on them. I do want to go with more horse power than my current .308's. I thought about a Remington, but I have read too many reports on inconsistent accuracy until some gunsmithing was done. Any thoughts?

You will be fine with either one for certain. You will get guys recommending one or the other but it all comes down to a personal choice in the long run. Both cartridges have ample horsepower to get the job done in style. If you like the Savage stick with it. As far as weight goes, I always favor the heavier rifle.

You will be fine with either one for certain. You will get guys recommending one or the other but it all comes down to a personal choice in the long run. Both cartridges have ample horsepower to get the job done in style. If you like the Savage stick with it. As far as weight goes, I always favor the heavier rifle.

+1
Hunting elk?
If you hunt like me try thinking: somewhat out-of-breath, Not enough sleep, Slightly raggedy, wiping the sleep from my right eye so I can find the elk in the scope taking the shot off my knee from a sitting position while sitting in a puddle.
Now, which rifle do you shoot better? :D

Take that one.

+1
Hunting elk?
If you hunt like me try thinking: somewhat out-of-breath, Not enough sleep, Slightly raggedy, wiping the sleep from my right eye so I can find the elk in the scope taking the shot off my knee from a sitting position while sitting in a puddle.
Now, which rifle do you shoot better? :D

Take that one.

LOL........what 4by said. I stand corrected :)

Everything that has been said is exactly right. Both of those models will work as will any Remington. Inconsistency can be found with both brands, but for the most part you should be able to get any of them to shoot. As far as caliber is concerned, either of them will work. Your current .308's will also work, depending on what you are thinking for your maximum range. A 7mm will extend the range of the .308 a little bit and a 300 win will extend the range of the 7mm a little bit.

You can't go wrong any way you go here. It really depends on purpose.

If you don't plan on humping the rifle around for miles/miles hunting, but want to use it for target most of the time. Get the bigger/heavier gun. 7mm or 300WM will work here also, but the 300 will splash better on misses (think a 230gr vs 180gr). I was on the fence and went 300WM.

Savage vs Remington.. I have several Savages and had Remingtons. I like both for different reasons. The Savages I prefer out of the box better. The Remingtons slick up better if going custom. Again, depends the purpose. For square range and hunting, I'd take a Savage. For a tactical competition gun, I'd go with a custom 700.

Best of luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts