Help me decide on a wildcat

6mm06guy

Ok guys the sky is almost the limit on this one. I have a Enfield no4 mk2 action laying here I want to do something with, 270 is my favorite caliber, but I'm open to almost anything.
There's a catch,
1) I'd like the brass to be easy to form, so I dont loose interest in the gun
2) it has to shoot long range (it is a long range forum)
3)high bc bullets must be available.
4) must stay within the limits of the action

I hope this turns into a great brainstorming session.

Ok guys the sky is almost the limit on this one. I have a Enfield no4 mk2 action laying here I want to do something with, 270 is my favorite caliber, but I'm open to almost anything.
There's a catch,
1) I'd like the brass to be easy to form, so I dont loose interest in the gun
2) it has to shoot long range (it is a long range forum)
3)high bc bullets must be available.
4) must stay within the limits of the action

I hope this turns into a great brainstorming session.
What coal will your Enfield accommodate?

Am I correct that that action was for the .303 Brit. ? If so and the .270 is your favorite (one of mine as well) I'd do a .270-303 with a 1-8 twist barrel, so you could get the most out of the new high BC bullets. I know there are not as many in the .277 bullets as other calibers but if it's your favorite why not go for it.

How much pressure can your action handle and what about modifying the boltface? If you wanted to keep it a simple low pressure barrel swap them pick whatever diameter bullet you want and do an ai version on the 303 case.

Get ready for some gunsmithing, lol.

-bolt face mods for anything not based on 303

-action that's barely able to handle 7.62. I think yours might actually be weaker being 303

-feeding system & magazine would need to be opened up unless you stick with the same body taper as 303.

I think 270-303 was actually a popular conversion in Australia & New Zealand. You could also send off to JES and have that barrel bored to 35-303. You might be able to go bigger. There's a reason it hasn't been done much, but hats off to you if you can make something work. I always wanted to do something similar myself.

Am I correct that that action was for the .303 Brit. ? If so and the .270 is your favorite (one of mine as well) I'd do a .270-303 with a 1-8 twist barrel, so you could get the most out of the new high BC bullets. I know there are not as many in the .277 bullets as other calibers but if it's your favorite why not go for it.
This is what I want to do, but I'm not sure how to make the mag work yet.

How much pressure can your action handle and what about modifying the boltface? If you wanted to keep it a simple low pressure barrel swap them pick whatever diameter bullet you want and do an ai version on the 303 case.
I believe its somewhere in the 41k-45k psi, if memory serves the 444 marlin is about the same pressure as max for the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.