Help me decide on a .257wby

Smoak352

Hi,
I am new to the site and I am in the market for a .257wby and 300magnum. I need some assistance on the .257wby decision. I was completely set on the Mark V deluxe which guarantees 1.5" at 100 yards. Then I saw they make a Vanguard in a deluxe that guarantees 1" at 100 yards AND its almost half the price! I am so confused, I was so ready to buy the Mark V and now I don't know what to do. Please someone explain this to me.

Thanks,
Smoak

The Deluxe version should be just as accurate as the Vanguard version but if their guarantee says 1.5 inches they're not going to fix it if the accuracy is worse than that.

To appropriately evaluate accuracy claims you need to know:

1. The range accuracy was tested at.

2. How many shots do they use to define a group for testing.

3. Is it factory ammo or ammo made specifically for that gun.

Personally, in this day and age I think accuracy in a scoped bolt action rifle that is over 1 inch for 3 shot groups in unacceptable. One of the best accuracy guarantees I've seen is the guarantee of 0.5 inches at 100 yards for 10 shot groups for certain Les Baer rifles using match grade ammo. If I remember correctly, the HS precision is 0.5 inches for custom ammo at 100 yards for their bolt action firearms in calibers of .308 and less.

Wby means exactly what they say. The rifles are tested with factory ammo three shot groups and those that test less than 1MOA are sold as such. A Mark V is only guaranteed to 1.5 MOA unless otherwise stated.

A 257 Wby is at its best with a barrel length of at least 26 inches. My advice is to get the Vanguard MOA and spend the extra money on a high quality optic for it and or reloading equipment

If you are at a gun shop and they have multiple rifles in said caliber, pick the one w/ best test target, they come w/one.

The Vanguard will be a 24" barrel vs. 26" for the Mark V which may cost you a few FPS. The Vanguard is based on the Howa 1500 action and is a very good rifle. Makes a good action for a custom rifle down the road.

The Vanguard will be a 24" barrel vs. 26" for the Mark V which may cost you a few FPS. The Vanguard is based on the Howa 1500 action and is a very good rifle. Makes a good action for a custom rifle down the road.

This is great advice, and it matters to me. My other option is to go custom. Money is not really an issue because I have 2 Leupolds and a Swarovski in my safe waiting for this rifle. I just don't understand why weatherby would make their cheaper gun more accurate.

Do most weatherbys shoot less than 1.5" because that is not very good in my opinion.

Do most weatherbys shoot less than 1.5" because that is not very good in my opinion.

Most? Yes. And, on Weatherby Nation we've suggested to those in charge that 1.5 inches doesn't mean much in today's world. They took up our suggestions last year and brought out the Vanguard S2, so all the Vanguard carry a new sub-MOA guarantee as well as a few other tweaks. Unfortunately they got rid of the target a few years ago due to cost and other hassles.

I know that they are looking toward improving the accuracy guarantee with the Mark V as well based on talking with Dan Weatherby at this year's SHOT show. However, for now they have the same old 1.5 inch guarantee.

I own both models, and would not hesitate to buy a Vanguard in 257 Wby. There are several aftermarket stocks if you wish, and the Vanguards I own are very, very accurate even with factory ammo.

Although 25-30 years ago I heard of Weatherby Mark-V rifles that had trouble shooting 1.5" groups, everyone I've talked to with modern Mark-V rifles has told me to expect .75" or better performance, and with the Accumark version to expect .5" groups. Weatherby hasn't improved on their warranty, yet, although I also have been told that is coming. I always presumed they didn't improve their warranty because so few people can shoot the HUGE Weatherbies well. They overpower many shooters.

My issue with the Vanguard rifle is the 24" barrel in a load justifying a 27 or 28" barrel. The .257 Weatherby mag has an immense amount of powder for a 1/4" bullet, and it takes a long barrel to get that powder translated into bullet velocity.

The Vanguard was introduced as a cut-rate Weatherby although the barrel & action were simply a Howa 1500 relabeled. To get people to take these seriously, Weatherby pulled the rifles that test-fired best & sold them for a premium as 1-MOA guns. It was a good marketing plan that apparently worked as Vanguard sales took off soon afterwards.

If money is no object ? Why not buy a 100% custom rifle ? Hey I have a Rem 700 with a 30" Brux bbl in standard palma (Measures a few inches from chamber out to muzzle.820) Its light and mine is chambered in 6x284. Point is you could buy a custom rifle with a long bbl like mine and still be light and take advantage of all the powder in a 257 Weatherby.

Last edited:
There is a Bansner Ultimate one, 7mmWBY, in guns for sale sect. 1/2'' + group @ 100, 6 lbs. great looking custom

Would you consider the Remington SPS? I had the same dilemma 2 years ago. I wanted the 26" barrel, but I wanted to pay the Vanguard price. I wanted the .257 for it's speed, and I wanted the extra 2". Low and behold, I stumbled across the Remington SPS. Before this rifle, I had never owned a Remington, only Tikka's and Winchesters. I love tight little groups, and was a little concerned about not having an accuracy guarantee. Well I'm not worried anymore. That Remington SPS calibered in .257 Roy is unbelievable. I have a buddy that has two Weatherby Ultralights. I tell you what, that $600.00 SPS will outshoot those ultralights , and they are twice the cost. If you're a weatherby guy, buy the one you like, they will shoot the same. Just my 2 cents. No matter what decision you make, you will love the .257 Roy. I have taken 5 whitetail bucks and 1 antelope between 85 yds. and 365 yds. with 115 gr. BT and the performance was phenominal. Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts