Help Me Decide On HBN

idcwby

Trying to decide if HBN is worth the time and money? From what I've read it's moly only better. I've been trying to determine some of the ins and out of it.
Ive read that you can and can't use it in a vibrating tumbler. If you can use it in a vibrating tumble do you need a special type of media? Lots of recommendations for steel shot, which seems like it would be tough on bullets. Do you have to coat the barrel or can you just shoot coated bullets? Does it help extend barrel life? Is it best to start with a new barrel or one that is broke in already? Do you have to use special cleaners for your barrel? Can you go back to normal bullets if you don't like it? Is it hard to get out of a barrel? How many different versions are there? Seen David Tubb had one on his website that seemed different than others does this matter?

Thanks
idcwby

Last edited:
Do a search, there are a hundred threads here and on LRO;

Do a search, there are a hundred threads here and on LRO;

I had and stuff started to contradict each other some that's why my questions came up.

Thanks
idcwby

Lots of q's at one time partner. My experience/process has been as follows:
1-Vibratory tumbling works well. I use no media in the tumbler or in the plastic bottle. Fill your bottle 2/3 with your bullets. I tumble for 3hrs. Dump the bullets in a sock when done wipe off any dust.
2-Barrel can be coated or it can be conditioned with coated bullets. I coat the barrel following cleaning.
3-Can't say if barrel life is extended. The general consensus is to break the bbl in first.
4-No special cleaners are required. It is easy to remove. If coating the bbl the last swab should be wetted with alcohol.
5-If your results are not satisfactory naked bullets can be fired again. Probably don't even need to clean the bbl.
6-There may be differences but I have no specific info on what they would be.
If I may offer my advice; be clear on what you want to achieve. IMO much hype surrounds the product and to be sure it has advantages to some more than others.

This is my opinion on hbn. I tried using it. Wanted it to work. Makes bullets seat so smooth. But I can't get the accuracy when I'm using it. I shoot 1000 yard BR and really hoped it would help but not for me. It takes a little more powder to get the same speed and I super tuned my rifle with and without and in 3 cartridges with several types of bullets in each the naked bullets shot better. Your barrel does clean up faster using it. I shoot dtacs in my 6slr and got some with hbn already applied and they shot ok. I cleaned them up in an ultrasonic cleaner and made them naked and they shot twice as good. Some guys like it but I could not get the same accuracy. I really wanted to use it because it cuts barrel cleaning time in half.
Shep

Lots of q's at one time partner. My experience/process has been as follows:
1-Vibratory tumbling works well. I use no media in the tumbler or in the plastic bottle. Fill your bottle 2/3 with your bullets. I tumble for 3hrs. Dump the bullets in a sock when done wipe off any dust.
2-Barrel can be coated or it can be conditioned with coated bullets. I coat the barrel following cleaning.
3-Can't say if barrel life is extended. The general consensus is to break the bbl in first.
4-No special cleaners are required. It is easy to remove. If coating the bbl the last swab should be wetted with alcohol.
5-If your results are not satisfactory naked bullets can be fired again. Probably don't even need to clean the bbl.
6-There may be differences but I have no specific info on what they would be.
If I may offer my advice; be clear on what you want to achieve. IMO much hype surrounds the product and to be sure it has advantages to some more than others.
Thanks for the answers. The part that got my attention the most was it lowering ES and SD. I got a brand new gun about done and was thinking of using it in it. Would it prolong the break in period of a barrel? I know you got your normal shoot x amount and clean and repeat, but after that would it be better to wait after 100 rounds and than try it?

Thanks
idcwby

It in no way lowered my ES and SD. Like I said I really wanted it to give me an edge but found the opposite. Doesn't cost much to try it your self. It may work great for you. But I tried it in 3 different 1000 yard match rifles.
Shep

First shot cold barrel is where it shines in my application. As far as es/sd goes I don't see a great deal of difference. They were good already. As 25WSM said it's cheap and easy enough to find out for yourself. There is no pain in going back should you decide.

In my matches first cold shot isn't a concern. That is one thing tubb said about the stuff. Cold first shot is in the group. It's easy to get out of your barrel and easy to get back off of your bullets.
Shep

did you buy a cheap bbl ??? why are you concerned about so called bbl break in ??
Nope, got a a Proof. Not concerned with break in, just know it takes some rounds down the tube to get them to settle. Would I be better with 100 rounds of bare bullets and than check to see if HBN is going to help or if using coated bullets from the start would have the same effect and not prolong the barrel settling?

idcwby

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts