Help me decide on a wildcat

7mm-303 straight, simple neck down. You dont want to get into magazine conversions. They never seem to work right. Scope mounting is a pain and custom stock work is almost nil on the Enfield. If you were in Australia your options would be better, they are experts on converting smellies

Why not a 7mm using Berger hunting bullets? The 7mm Berger 168gr is hard to beat. I too years ago thought about the 7mm Rem Mag necked down to .277 but it can not beat the ballistic's of the 7. I'm shooting the 7mm Rem Mag with Berger 168's and it is an awesome combo. I got turned on to it by the Best of the West/GunWerks guy's. When you can kill Elk and Moose at 600yds or more why go backwards? I have looked at some 6.5 rounds including the 264 Win Mag for a light caliber but have a hard time seeing any benefit for hunting antelope and deer. I have shoot out two 6.5-06 barrels for hunting and targets. It is a real neat round as well as I have two 270 Winchesters but they just can't keep up with my 7 mag for wind and energy at long range. I had thought about a 6.5-06 30* improved but why, it will not beat the 264Win mag. The only advantage is MAYBE 10 gr of powder and MAYBE 200 rd's of barrel life. I have not found a better .277 bullet than the 168 Berger VLD, my rifle and two friends rifles will shoot sub MOA @600 from an 8 lb hunting rifle. If you need more velocity you could look at the 7mm LRM. My 168's are going 3050 FS out of a 25" barrel.

IIRC, even the 303 Epps had a feeding peculiarity that did not allow it's full 10 round capacity. The whole setup makes design selection tricky. You ultimately decide how much trouble you want to go through. The 416 Strauss looks wicked. But even that looks like it lacks the necessary taper to work in the SMLE magazine, but I honestly don't know. A 2A1 would open up more options. Possibly even using the Cr******r case as a parent. Get crazy & creative.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.