Help me decide on a wildcat

Best advice I can give is to save your money for the build until you get a good modern action to start with. I've been down the Enfield and Mauser road a couple times when I first started building custom rifles. They can shoot decent, but not worth the time and money. Lot of modifications have to take place to make them 'tolerable' to operate. Never again

Straight up 270-303 shouldn't require magazine work. Only of you blow out shoulders and try to AI it would you run into issues.
The more I think about it, you may well be better off with something like a 303/270. Everything would fit and that action wasn't designed to take the pressure of something like the Sherman.
I have thought long and hard about it, and I think so too, but there us still that part of me that Hope's someone else has a better idea than me. ;) hopefully someone will think of something.

270-444 marlin, 270-303 epps, or there 6.5 mm variants. 500 s&w necked down...

Best advice I can give is to save your money for the build until you get a good modern action to start with. I've been down the Enfield and Mauser road a couple times when I first started building custom rifles. They can shoot decent, but not worth the time and money. Never again
It's not about money , and I literally have 42 other custom rifles, I just want something different and neat.

Roger that. Then I'd say maybe try a 6mm Rem AI with reduced body taper. Twist the barrel fro the new 110gr Sierra MKs. Low recoil, will fit perfectly in your action, and she will reach out there over 1200 yards

Lee-Enfield actions have a lot of flex in the side rails so high pressure causes head space problems. Stretching was even a problem with lots of factory ammo being fired which is why they had bolt heads of different lengths so a military gunsmith could unscrew and put a slightly longer one on for a quick fix. If it were me I would go with a .338/303 because of the range of bullets available and the ability to use it as a short, handy brush gun. It is a fast action with an excellent safety for carrying.

Lee-Enfield actions have a lot of flex in the side rails so high pressure causes head space problems. Stretching was even a problem with lots of factory ammo being fired which is why they had bolt heads of different lengths so a military gunsmith could unscrew and put a slightly longer one on for a quick fix. If it were me I would go with a .338/303 because of the range of bullets available and the ability to use it as a short, handy brush gun. It is a fast action with an excellent safety for carrying.
Would you stay with the original tapered case design or improve it?

I am an old 303 fan myself, since childhood.
I take it you will not be using the military wood, so will be able to easily free float the custom barrel.
For longer distance, I would suggest a 6.5 Epps- based wildcat, keeping things simple by using Ithe same or similar taper. Long barrel for better velocity. For closer in brush work, a big bore based on the original or Epps, and a short barrel. Because it is so smooth an action I personally would lean towards the brush gun. Of course a brush gun must be reliable for followup shots, hence stick to original taper.
But that action is pretty weak as noted above. Smooth as silk, super fast, but not stout. Did you ever see videos of the British sergeants doing rapid fire with that thing?

I am an old 303 fan myself, since childhood.
I take it you will not be using the military wood, so will be able to easily free float the custom barrel.
For longer distance, I would suggest a 6.5 Epps- based wildcat, keeping things simple by using Ithe same or similar taper. Long barrel for better velocity. For closer in brush work, a big bore based on the original or Epps, and a short barrel. Because it is so smooth an action I personally would lean towards the brush gun. Of course a brush gun must be reliable for followup shots, hence stick to original taper.
But that action is pretty weak as noted above. Smooth as silk, super fast, but not stout. Did you ever see videos of the British sergeants doing rapid fire with that thing?
I actually thought about using military wood, and floating the entire length of it, I'm a big fan too.

Here's a wildcat that has interested me for a while, the 416 strauss
s6300569-tm.jpg

What about a 25-303improved based off the 6.5epps? Run that new blackjack bullet. Only downside is the bullet selection in 25 is limited if you want to play at longer ranges.

I have thought long and hard about it, and I think so too, but there us still that part of me that Hope's someone else has a better idea than me. ;) hopefully someone will think of something.

270-444 marlin, 270-303 epps, or there 6.5 mm variants. 500 s&w necked down...

Any of the above cartridges that you have written about (270/444, 270/303) really are odd ball cartridges. I have to agree with many of the replies that you have received. If it were me I wouldn't invest my money in the Enfield action in an odd ball caliber. From my understanding the lock-up system on the Enfield is not that strong. Spend your money on a commercial action and go from there. I'm sure that many of the people reading the forum will agree that they have gone down the road that you are talking about, spent a lot of time and money and didn't end up with what they were hoping to get.

That 416 looks pretty neat. Should may a short range hammer and is probably legal in the restricted states.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.