Help me decide on new mid-range .308

hawk45

I'm looking to pick up a lighter weight rifle that can be dual purpose for enjoyment shooting/plinking and mid-range hunting deer. I've been doing my research and have some experience with the 3 companies, but not with exact models. I also have some criteria I want to meet.. and a price range (of course).

Criteria:
I have a bunch of heavy/long range rifles.. most over 12 lbs and 26" or longer barrels. This one I want to be lighter and more nimble. It will be for shooting inside 400 yards.
I want something I can enjoy year round on the range and on a hunt.
I've decided I want to go with the good ol' .308 as I have all the reloading gear (powder, brass, dies, etc). Plus it's very versatile with a huge selection of bullets for target and hunting. I don't need it to be the fastest or newest, just do it's job.
20" barrel and under 10 lbs with optic, closer to 9 lbs is better. Optic will be 16oz.
Something balanced would be nice also.
Magazine fed would be fine but not required. I'm fine top loading in all honesty. This won't be a competition gun where speed loading is important. Accuracy is important, but not "match" important. I'd be happy with 1 - 1.5 MOA. 80% of use will probably be range time at 100-300yds.

Options:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" (or AAC version)
Tikka T3 Lite
Tikka CTR
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 (.260)

Savage PH Max1:
I have 4 other Savages and they perform, but a little crude. Kind of want to put something else in the safe this time. The PHMax1 is also the heaviest (8.5lbs) and longest (24"). I reload for .260 also so not a big deal to load for this as well. About $750
** Just to head off anyone saying "rebarrel one of your existing Savages".. even putting lighter barrels on my existing Savages would have them over the 10 lb. limit I want to be under.

Tikka CTR:
I have a CTR in .223 which is very nice, but a little nose heavy. Super smooth, great trigger and accurate. The CTR in .308 or .260 comes threaded, with mount and mag system but at about $1000. Extra mags are also non-existent and $200 each!!!

Tikka T3 Lite
While this is a great rifle for field work, I worry I will get about 3 shots down range and she will start stringing with the pencil barrel. Weight, accuracy would not be a problem with this one. $650 in SS

Remington 700 SPS Tactical 20" (or AAC version).
This is the one I'm leaning towards b/c I don't have a Remmy in the cabinet. I know it's not the most accurate or the smoothest, but it's a solid platform that can be built up over time. I know the stocks suck out of box, but I could toss in a B&C or shave down the factory and bed if I want to use a bipod. Can work with the factory trigger or replace. $550-$650 (less any upgrades).

So with all that.. what's your guys opinions?

Have you looked into the Browning x-bolt series. I have a Stainless stalker in the 300wsm and love the gun. It is really light and not much felt recoil due to design. It was 6.5 lbs without a scope and has a very nice factory trigger. I shoot around 1/2 inch groups at 100yds. I think it would be a sweet rifle in 308.

Have you looked into the Browning x-bolt series. I have a Stainless stalker in the 300wsm and love the gun. It is really light and not much felt recoil due to design. It was 6.5 lbs without a scope and has a very nice factory trigger. I shoot around 1/2 inch groups at 100yds. I think it would be a sweet rifle in 308.

Does the stalker come with heavier barrel profile or is it a standard pencil barrel? How many shots can you get in before the barrel heats up and starts throwing flyers?

It is a standard sporter barrel and heats up at the same rate that any do. I haven't noticed much as far as fliers but usual take a break after a 5 shot string. I bought it for a lightweight mountain rifle for mid range and it fit that purpose very well.

How about a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 308 with a 24" tube, the only drawback is it's a wood stock....but it's oh so light. Magazine fed, spiral turned bolt accutrigger accustock and mine with a 30mm Vortex Viper PST 4-16 comes in at 8.3 with 3 in the belly and one in the receiver.

Of course I rebarreled it and restocked it (Bartlien and Manners) and it's now down to just under 8 with the Viper thats getting taken off and replaced with a Diamondback SF for another 10 ounce drop. Its so light, a strong wind makes it flutter....:D

You don't know it's on your shoulder....lol

It shoots too. It shot good stock, it shoots lights out now. sub moa at 200 consistently.

I like my 308's and I like Savages, I have a bunch.... No regrets.

I've got 2 AAC-SD's and I'm very pleased with them. My only complaint is that the finish can get surface rust when used in humid conditions. It's light and easy to carry in the field. I can get one hole accuracy with both of them.

My vote... Rem 700 Tac 20".

+1.

I just got an XCR compact tac. Stainless steel with the black coating, 20" barrel, 3 large flutes. HS stock. It's a very nimble, compact light weight rifle. It is VERY sweet. 0-400 yards is perfect for it. This is my new backcountry pack rifle. It's not the cheapest stick but it's a sweet one.

+1.

I just got an XCR compact tac. Stainless steel with the black coating, 20" barrel, 3 large flutes. HS stock. It's a very nimble, compact light weight rifle. It is VERY sweet. 0-400 yards is perfect for it. This is my new backcountry pack rifle. It's not the cheapest stick but it's a sweet one.

Is that the one that's sort of like the new version of an LTR, or is that the one with the triangular-shaped barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.