Help me decide on new mid-range .308

What kind of difference am I going to see in when shooting 3-5 shot groups? Can the thin barrels hold up to that many shots w/o stringing in .30cal bore? I like to shoot 5 shot groups, but I'm not in a rush to upgrade mag systems. I can single load to make up the round count distance.

What do you get with XCR Compact over the SPS Tactical 20" other than a B&C stock and some flutes for the $500 jump in price?

Stainless steel and a tougher weather resistant finish.

Since it' my backcountry rifle and there's more rain and snow than blue sky where I hunt, it's more than worth the added$$$$. At least for me.

My point wasn't to say that's what you or anybody else should get. I was just agreeing that a compact type 700 was a sweet arrangement. I just happened to note what I had and why I liked it.

M

Stainless steel and a tougher weather resistant finish.

Since it' my backcountry rifle and there's more rain and snow than blue sky where I hunt, it's more than worth the added$$$$. At least for me.

My point wasn't to say that's what you or anybody else should get. I was just agreeing that a compact type 700 was a sweet arrangement. I just happened to note what I had and why I liked it.

M

I hear ya brother. Looks like a nice setup for sure. I was just curious as to the differneces as I wasn't aware of that model before you posted it was available.
Appreciate all your input.

First off I am a Remington 700 guy. There are a few heavy barreled 700's in the safe. But two years ago I wanted an inexpensive hunting rifle and bought a Ruger American in 308. One of the reasons I bought on was because of reports of good accuracy out of these budget rifles. But even I was surprised at how good this little rifle shoots. Granted you can't shoot it all day as the barrel will heat up like any other sporter weight rifle but it shoots well.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I placed an order for a 700 AAC-SD. I wish I didn't sell my PSS years ago, so time to put a Remy back in the safe. The Tikka T3 lite is on the wish list for next one.

morning, I bought a W70 Winchester 308 for $350. I took the barrel off

had a green mountain match octogon barrel 24"long #4 contour put on the action. had

the barreled chambered for the 250 savage. 100gr. barnes TSX bullets. very little

recoil. very good accuracy. very attractive rifle. medium weight.lightbulb

If you haven't checked out Ruger's American Rifle, I highly recommend it. There is a standard model, 22" barrel weighing 7 lbs. or the compact, 18" barrel and weighing 6lbs! I have both in 308, and I like the compact better as I take it in the mountains for bear and deer and also keep it in my truck for varmints in the summer. And to stay budget you can put a Leupold vx-1 4-12x40 on it and stay under a $650 price range. My American out-shoot all my Remington's and Savage's.

I know I am a bit late on this, but nobody has mentioned CZ. The new Push Feed (not CRF)527 Sporter with either wood or synthetic stock is available in .308, 20.5" barrel, 1:10 twist, 7+ lbs w/o scope, under $800. My CZ rifles shoot well, and from all the reports I've read they all do.

How about a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 308 with a 24" tube, the only drawback is it's a wood stock....but it's oh so light. Magazine fed, spiral turned bolt accutrigger accustock and mine with a 30mm Vortex Viper PST 4-16 comes in at 8.3 with 3 in the belly and one in the receiver.

Of course I rebarreled it and restocked it (Bartlien and Manners) and it's now down to just under 8 with the Viper thats getting taken off and replaced with a Diamondback SF for another 10 ounce drop. Its so light, a strong wind makes it flutter....:D

You don't know it's on your shoulder....lol

It shoots too. It shot good stock, it shoots lights out now. sub moa at 200 consistently.

I like my 308's and I like Savages, I have a bunch.... No regrets.
I'm going to +1 on the Light Weight Hunter in 308. Only because I want one too!!!!

Try the savage model 10 FCP-SR, can get a 24"or 20" fluted barrel. Comes in at nine pounds, with a 16 ounce optic it would be ten Lbs. Then has a threaded barrel in case you wanted to put a muzzle brake on it. It has an accutruger and accustock too, comes with a scope base too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.