Hammer bullets

Nice shooting!

What powder did you use? I'll be working in that exact combo as soon as the backordered 6.5ss dies show up to Rich's.
Since ths is a load that will only be used on certain high country mid/late season mule deer hunts, I went with RL26.

Since ths is a load that will only be used on certain high country mid/late season mule deer hunts, I went with RL26.

Ah, that makes sense. I should probably just start to assume Fairy Dust was used whenever I see a velocity that seems fast. I finally found RL23, so hopefully that gives me something close.

Ah, that makes sense. I should probably just start to assume Fairy Dust was used whenever I see a velocity that seems fast. I finally found RL23, so hopefully that gives me something close.
Should be good with RL23. I can usually get pretty close to RL26 speeds with it. And my load is not at the top of pressure, so I bet RL23 would get the same speeds.

OK, I see great reviews, but I have a question. How finicky are they with seating depths? Also, if seating depth APPEARS to be a minimal issue then will performing a seating depth test need to be performed? Thanks in advance

From the reloading I've done with them, I havent felt the need to check for seating depth improvements. Not to say they aren't there, but I havent felt the need to look for them.

After speaking with Steve at Hammer, it doesnt sound like they are doing extensive seating depth testing with their loads either, if any at all, other then to confirm they arent touching the lands.

308 win 152 HH
47gr CFE 223
Lapua case
CCI 250
COAL 2.79"= .048" jump in my rifle

2828 FPS in a 20" Carbon Six barrel.

Of the four rifles I have shot the Hammers in, this was the only one I had to tweak seating depth.

Loaded the 299 grain sledge hammers in my 375 H&H with incredible results. Accounted for 3 trophies on my recent trip to Zambia. Very pleased indeed. Planned on using the 196 grain hunters in my 300 Win but never finished load development before we left.

Attachments

• 375 H&H-299 Hammer.jpg
    375 H&H-299 Hammer.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Loaded the 299 grain sledge hammers in my 375 H&H with incredible results. Accounted for 3 trophies on my recent trip to Zambia. Very pleased indeed. Planned on used the 196 grain hunters in my 300 Win but never finished load development before we left.

You guys are killing me! I guess I will have to make an order.

I was a bit sceptical before I bought some. My load development took 12 shots. Sub 1/2 MOA went to 525 to verify then headed to Colorado. 280 Ackley with 143 HH and dropped (absolutely Hammered) a nice 5x5 elk. Pretty much sold me. Lol

I've shot a lot of different bullets in various calibers over the years and Hammer bullets are amazing. They are not picky about seating depth and load development for them is easier than any other bullets I've used. Just recently did loads for a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 28 Nosler and here's how they shoot. Besides the accuracy and ease of load development they are designed in the optimal way for terminal performance.

Attachments

• 124 gr Hammer.JPG
    124 gr Hammer.JPG
    727.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 143 gr Hammer Hunter.JPG
    143 gr Hammer Hunter.JPG
    736.8 KB · Views: 93
Very nice results. I think I've been sold on ordering some. Just need to figure out what grain. 152 or 166 30 cal. And some 6.5 for my 26 nosler. Just ordered some Berger 6.5mm 156 EOL Hunters to try as well. I'd like to have a couple good options in the 26. 30-06 as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.