Hammer bullets

Being stuck here in California I have been loading and shooting mono bullets for the past 6 or 7 years. My experience with them is that the mainstream brands, Hornady, Barnes etc. all shoot very well for accuracy but for game hunting they are limited. The reason being is that they go through and mushroom ok but most of their energy is expelled after the exit. This deep penetration is great for class 3 game but has issues with deer and other smaller game animals. Without the weight and energy disbursement while passing through most deer etc. are able to bolt and run long distances even with good hits through vitals. There have been a few exceptions but if you take some time and read the tests done by Ballisiticstudies.com they show the same results that my research has. Their recommendation is to aim forward so as to break shoulder bone to help with internal energy damage. In speaking with numerous hunting guides they all have come to the same conclusion as well. A perfect mushroom that goes through like a dart will many times lead to hours of tracking, often with sparse blood trails. There are a few mono bullets that have been addressing the energy issues. The bullets from Lehigh Defense and Cutting Edge are designed to break off several smaller projectiles after penetration so as to expel more energy internally and open larger wound channels. I also see that Hammer has begun to offer a similar bullet design as well but they have not been readily available to order from their website so I have not personally tested them yet. Once they are listed I will give them a try in a few calibers and see how they will do. On class 3 game where deep penetration is necessary the mainstream mono bullets do well as they offer deep penetration.

Some interesting reading and videos are available here: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Homogenous+copper+bullets+can+be+inhumane.html Be aware that there will be some graphic iomages and videos that show their research.
So you haven't shot Hammers?

Being stuck here in California I have been loading and shooting mono bullets for the past 6 or 7 years. My experience with them is that the mainstream brands, Hornady, Barnes etc. all shoot very well for accuracy but for game hunting they are limited. The reason being is that they go through and mushroom ok but most of their energy is expelled after the exit. This deep penetration is great for class 3 game but has issues with deer and other smaller game animals. Without the weight and energy disbursement while passing through most deer etc. are able to bolt and run long distances even with good hits through vitals. There have been a few exceptions but if you take some time and read the tests done by Ballisiticstudies.com they show the same results that my research has. Their recommendation is to aim forward so as to break shoulder bone to help with internal energy damage. In speaking with numerous hunting guides they all have come to the same conclusion as well. A perfect mushroom that goes through like a dart will many times lead to hours of tracking, often with sparse blood trails. There are a few mono bullets that have been addressing the energy issues. The bullets from Lehigh Defense and Cutting Edge are designed to break off several smaller projectiles after penetration so as to expel more energy internally and open larger wound channels. I also see that Hammer has begun to offer a similar bullet design as well but they have not been readily available to order from their website so I have not personally tested them yet. Once they are listed I will give them a try in a few calibers and see how they will do. On class 3 game where deep penetration is necessary the mainstream mono bullets do well as they offer deep penetration.

Some interesting reading and videos are available here: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Homogenous+copper+bullets+can+be+inhumane.html Be aware that there will be some graphic iomages and videos that show their research.

If something isnt listed on their website, then just give the owner, Steve, a call directly. I called him yesterday, nothing was in stock and 2 of the 5 bullets I ordered weren't listed on the site. They were produced and shipped within 6 hours. Phenomenal service.

The service alone would keep me as a customer.

After hammering a Mulie buck at 200 yards, the results earned Hammer Bullets another couple customers. My Father in Law was convinced that I'd shot the deer with a .338 or larger magnun... but it was "only" a 308win.

They are awesome! Might be the only bullet I use from now on. Just worked up loads for my 28 Nosler and 6.5 Creedmoor that both shoot .2 MOA 100 yard groups. The science behind the bullet is spot on too. Shoot Hammers and you won't have to worry about accuracy or bullet performance on game. Just give them a call and get Steve's advice on the correct bullet for your rifle's twist rate. Steve is very helpful

I agree Steve is very helpful. I started loading for a 270 Win. With my twist of 1:10, I loaded per Hammers web direction of the 117gn. HH. Very easy to load for. Seems as if they are not very finicky when hand loading. Very accurate and very impressed. First kill was at 501 yards on a blacktail. Hit the left shoulder center mass. The bullet exited the off side shoulder and was not recovered. The lungs were mush. A nice clean slice buy one of the petals cut the top of the heart. The buck went about 10 feet and was DRT. Second blacktail was at just under 300 yards facing straight on, as he busted me. Held center chest with a perfect shot placement. The buck went about 8 yards down hill on it's rear legs and piled up DRT. Found two petals in the chest area. I found the base at the groin just under the skin. Chest internals were vaporized and mush. The base was intact (as it was designed to do) and went through the gut like a solid. Deer had no idea what hit him.
Bottom line, I like the hammers so well I am building a 6.5 SST to shoot the Hammer Hunters. It will be a 1:7 twist. I plan to shoot the 139, 137 and 124 gn HH. I am hoping the 139 shoot well. I believe I will be very happy with the HH results! Jim

Just used one on a buck at about 60 yards. 166 gr. from an '06. Buck ran about 80 yards. Total pass through. Broke offside leg. Heart/lungs destroyed. Easy blood trail.

It was easy to load for and sub moa to shoot. It seems to like a jump of about .070". Very pleased with the results. I was using it for a combo deer/elk load. Will continue to do so.

Sounds like the 166 have been good for 30-06 rounds. Maybe I'll consider those instead of the 152. It's my main whitetail gun and most kills are under 100 yards. I'll call Steve on Monday and see what his thoughts are. Btw thanks for all the advice! Sounds like a very good bullet

With testing in my 308, I wasnt able to find a load that drove the 152 anymore then about 60fps faster then the 166. The small bump in speed wasnt worth it to stay with the lighter bullet, for me.

I was limiting myself to temp stable powders, which just didnt build the speed that others have seen with some of the less temp stable options

With testing in my 308, I wasnt able to find a load that drove the 152 anymore then about 60fps faster then the 166. The small bump in speed wasnt worth it to stay with the lighter bullet, for me.

I was limiting myself to temp stable powders, which just didnt build the speed that others have seen with some of the less temp stable options

Can I ask what powders you tried? I have Superformance,rl33, Ramshot lrt, win 760, us869, and 4130 I think on hand

Can I ask what powders you tried? I have Superformance,rl33, Ramshot lrt, win 760, us869, and 4130 I think on hand

H4350 and Varget in my first 2 ladder tests. I chose not to use Manum primers as I wanted to see how these loads/bullets operated with a setup that I'm more familiar with.

Then 2 more ladder tests with H4350 and Varget with the Magnum primers. These were significantly quicker, and I didnt hit pressure.

Also tried 8028xbr, that was my fastest. But I havent yet confirmed its' temp variation, I see conflicting opinions online.

I didn't try anything else as I didn't have enough bullets left from the original 50 to do a ladder test, confirm zero and have enough to hunt with. I didnt see enough speed to warrant purchasing more.

131 HH @ 3205fps from a low pressure 6.5SS.
Will be going hunting with me in a month.
20191023_123137.jpg

Just started testing the 181 in my 300RUM.... it loves them... the 4 shot group measured.377" at 200... unfortunately I pulled one and opened that group up to 1.14" looking forward to getting back out to the range to try it again

Attachments

• 0C3C73E5-2F07-4A08-8FC4-792A0401E04E.jpeg
    0C3C73E5-2F07-4A08-8FC4-792A0401E04E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.