Hammer bullets, intresting results!

C gent

I just wanted to share some intresting results I had the other day with the new hammer bullets. I bought a box of 155 grn hunters in .284 caliber for my 7 rem mag. This is a factory remington model 700 with a sporter barrel. I was using H-1000 and fed 215m primers. I was doing the OCW method so every bullet I shot progressively went up in powder charge by 1/2 grain. I started low and worked up monitoring my pressure as well looking at the velocity on my chronograph. Starting at around 2800 fps the first three shots measured around 1/2 moa at 100 yards. Impressive vertical group for all being a different powder charges. Then shots 4 thru 6 I found the same results. Another very small vertical group but slightly higher up on the paper. The faster the bullets came out the bullets would simply hit higher. But the groups did not move left or right. Literally stacking them in there. This continued until I quit shooting at over 3200 fps. I had absolutely no signs of pressure and I was amazed at how much faster these bullets where than the traditional ones I have shot. I am unsure how fast you could push these things out of a 7RM but I didn't have a need to try and get that much velocity so I stopped just to be safe. I loaded these .020 off of the lands and simply shot ragged holes. I haven't had time to make more using all the same powder charge but when I do I will post results. My first impression of theses new hammers couldn't be better. I've shot all kinds of bullets and these by far have been the easiest to work with. All shots where done off of a bench using a bipod and rear bag. I couldn't be more happy with the results thus far and as soon as I can get back out there I will get more data. To be continued... One last thing I experienced with this new company was excellent customer service and very fast responses to all my questions.

Hi,

That is a promising report as I have been considering these sane bullets. What twist rate do you think your rifle has?

Thank you

Hi,

That is a promising report as I have been considering these same bullets. What twist rate do you think your rifle has?

Thank you

The twist in my barrel is 1 : 9.25 .. I really wanted to shoot the 177 grn hammers but I don't think this barrel would stabilize them.

Hammers seem to be a new breed of bullet and consistently have the easiest load work up I have seen. Next time try loading only one of each increasing powder charge and go until you hit pressure signs, then back off to where you are comfortable and that is your load....probably less than 20 shots total. In the past I have had rifles that I probably shot half the barrel life out trying to find the right bullet/powder/load combination but this is just the opposite. So easy it almost takes the fun out of it....
And Hammer has great customer service !

Sounds very promising! I'd like to try the 155's out of my .280 AI but shied away from them because Hammer recommended 1-8.5 twist. I may give them a go after reading this. Would love to try the .308, 199 gr. Hammer Hunters out of my .300 WM or .300 Dakota but they're 10 twists and Hammer recommends a 9.25 or faster. May give them a whirl too.

Last edited:
Sounds very promising! I'd like to try the 155's out of my .280 AI but shied away from them because Hammer recommended 1-8.5 twist. I may give them a go after reading this. Would love to try the .308, 199 gr. Hammer Hunters out of my .300 WM or .300 Dakota but they're 10 twists and Hammer recommends a 9.25 or faster. May give them a whirl too.

I listed the 155g .284's at 9.5" twist being a bit conservative just because there are 7's that don't have a ton of horse power. At 3000fps at sea level they have a 1.43sg a show 8.75" twist to be optimal. So I would say that you should be fine with them in your 9" twist. With your 30's I would recommend the 181g Hammer Hunter. Your results will be better particularly on game. The physical size of the 181g is as big or bigger than conventional 200g pills.

Steve

Hammers seem to be a new breed of bullet and consistently have the easiest load work up I have seen. Next time try loading only one of each increasing powder charge and go until you hit pressure signs, then back off to where you are comfortable and that is your load....probably less than 20 shots total. In the past I have had rifles that I probably shot half the barrel life out trying to find the right bullet/powder/load combination but this is just the opposite. So easy it almost takes the fun out of it....
And Hammer has great customer service !

ya that's what I did, every bullet was a different powder charge. I just quit before I saw pressure signs. It dose make me curious the speed that I could have gotten to before to much pressure. Thanks for chiming in guys I hope to get out this weekend and shoot some more.

So I got out Friday and was able to try a few more loads. All shot sub moa and many where half moa or better. My best load had an ES of 21 which I am hoping to tweak and get that number down. Next I plan to shoot some loads at 400 and see how they perform. I am very excited on these new bullets and will try and keep updating my findings. It also makes me want to build a gun specifically for the 177grn hammers. 28 nosler maybe with a 1-8 twist. We shall see!

Yes they are superb bullets! I just finished field tested the Sledge Hammers on safari in South Africa and Botswana. I took 11 animals ranging from springbuck to blue wildebeest. Ranges were from 25-318 yards. All animals with exception of one were one shot only and done. My fault as I pulled high on one animal and required followup. All shots were complete pass thru with the exception of one black wildebeest struck on the shoulder at 200 yards. The bullet was recovered on the off shoulder and performed flawlessly. I was shooting the 133 grain sledge hammers in my 270-300 win mag wildcat with mv of 3400 fps and also the 400 grain sledge hammer in my 416 Ruger at mv of 2350 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.