Good article on why everyone either loves or hates the 6.5cr

I own one because I won a kimber hunter at a NRA banquet. I was a RSO at. 1000 yard range in New Orleans. There is no cheaper way to get started than hornady ammo and Savage rifle. The combos almost always shot sub moa.

it will out performed the average 308 at 1000 yards because of the higher bc.

I don't consider it a ideal long range rifle especially at sea level. Just not enough case level.

it is a ideal 400 /500 yard deer rifle in good hands

I heard about all the longer shoots on elk with soft Bullets but that not for the average joe!

I don't much care for the fan boy ********, but we need them shooting if we are going to hang on to our second amendment rights
It will out perform it on paper and that's all

Was responding to CBH Australia. Not hating on the .308. I shot em in the corps too but they and others are moving away from it was my point. USMC specifically is moving to the 300 WM specifically to for the purpose of fielding rifle they can shoot to 1000+. Biggest complaint for years has been the range limitations with the .308 in the military platforms. I'm sure they will still carry. 308 gas platforms. Units with a little more leeway are carry different 6.5 gas guns.

I'm aware of the .300wm, .338lapua and .50BMG being adopted as Sniper rounds.

I think one recent evolution of sniper rifles has been a switch barrel system adopted.

It had 3 barrel s I think. One being b.308 for practice and use, a .300 magnum variant and one other. (Just found link)

I have a .300wm in a sporter and quite like it among others.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that video but I take it the system vhas been adopted by the US military.

No 6.5cm in the contract package.

As for my cartridge choices I read, listen, research, consider and form an opinion.
Then I read enough to convince myself that the opinion I formed meets my requirements, wants needs and desires.

Then I read enough supporting evidence (disregarding the rest) to convince MYSELF, that my choice fits my requirements of the time or intended purpose.

The Big Boy above has it right.

The Creedmoor and it's High BC projectiles perform on paper.

Inside 500yards I've compared enough reviews to show the 7mm-08 is the better hunting round and that both probably should be limited to 500 for hunting!

For drop, drift, energy and velocity the 7mm-08 has a slight advantage over 6.5cm.

For long range target the 6.5cm performs in its class and does what it was designed for.

This however being a Long Range Hunting forum I suggest the 6.5 Creedmor is discounted as a long range Hunting round. By hunting I would suggest Coyote and bigger.

It's probably a good varmint round with the right projectiles.

I would consider it for hunting within reasonable ranges on small game with appropriate projectiles.

It probably has a place for junior hunters and the recoil sensitive but for hunting as always shot placement is paramount.

For now, I don't have a use for it and I can't help but make fun of it, Man Buns and the Latte crowd.

My favorite thing about the creed is it's ability to generate these discussions. I have been a 260 lover since it showed up. I love the 6.5 creed because it is the 260 with more components. For a guy like me that hunts 60% of the time with shots no longer than 400 yards available, most all of the 50 to 60 grain cap. cases are fantastic. Fun and easy to shoot well, effective on game with good bullets, and as accurate as the platform and load development. They are all wonderful. If used for what is suited for, there is nothing not to like about the 6.5 Creed.

And please don't bash the 308 Win. I know the .264 caliber bullets have a better ballistic coefficient and sectional density but there's no need to kick the old dog. Heck I was having fun shooting steel out to 1126 yards with it two weeks ago. I doubt the steel noticed the difference.

I don't hate the round, I hate the HYPE surrounding it and the BELIEVERS that this round is the Be All, End All round to 1000.
PRS is fine and dandy, it has sold lots of guns, just like IPSC did in the 90's.
I get it, new rounds sell guns.
But, to come out with slogans like "The Creedmoor shoots flatter to 1000 than a 300WM", and not mentioning what bullet or what velocities each round is producing is simply lies if you take the best/highest BC in both cartridges, which most factory 6.5's can't shoot due to lack of twist rate, is just false.
It sells rifles and cartridges, it doesn't have to be 100% true across the board.
Just like people quoting how much H2O the 300WM holds in comparison to other cartridges, across several brands, it varies by up to 10g, this is common knowledge to most reloaders, but many quote the low number when comparing 300WM/PRC/Nosler, yet they forget that the lower capacity cases still get the same velocity yet with less powder.
Anyway, I digress.

Cheers.

I don't hate the round, I hate the HYPE surrounding it and the BELIEVERS that this round is the Be All, End All round to 1000.
PRS is fine and dandy, it has sold lots of guns, just like IPSC did in the 90's.
I get it, new rounds sell guns.
But, to come out with slogans like "The Creedmoor shoots flatter to 1000 than a 300WM", and not mentioning what bullet or what velocities each round is producing is simply lies if you take the best/highest BC in both cartridges, which most factory 6.5's can't shoot due to lack of twist rate, is just false.
It sells rifles and cartridges, it doesn't have to be 100% true across the board.
Just like people quoting how H2O the 300WM holds in comparison to other cartridges, across several brands, it varies by up to 10g, this is common knowledge to most reloaders, but many quite the low number when comparing 300WM/PRC/Nosler, yet they forget that the lower capacity cases still get the same velocity yet with less powder.
Anyway, I digress.

Cheers.
I Concur

In God I trust. Everyone else, provide data. 🙂
I mean, there is a ton of campfire talk on every chambering out there, and 10 times that on wild claims. I worked in a highly data driven world. I'll double check one of my "associates" who makes a claim, that I know has to be a drunken statement and drop the hammer later when I can prove they were way off the mark.
The 6.5 bullet can be propelled a lot of ways and there are tradeoffs in every scenario. It's the hype that makes it or any other cartridge the "only one you need". Our Euro brethren never had the Creedmoor but sure shot a lot of critters with their now inferior chamberings. That's why anyone hyping one 6.5 over all it's predecessors should bring data.

I have said for yrs the 6.5 creed is the quintessential entry level cartridge. Lower recoiling, abundant factory ammo options, easy to load for if one chooses. Shoots heavy enough bullets for beginners to pick up trace, and spot misses, if a shooter wants to learn on virtually every shot taken.
I can tune anyone out, at any time, I don't care if it is creedmore hype, or any over enthusiastic person in a position to benefit from what he is preaching. Seems to me the creed haters were the first to jump on hornady's PRC case, bypassing the clique to basically join anyway.

With R 26 you can get pretty close to 6.5 284 numbers. I never heard anyone bag on the 6.5 284. In fact it ruled F class for quite a while. People talk about marketing and hype. A 140 gr bullet going close to 3000 fps with a .640 bc is nothing to sneeze at manbuns not withstanding.