Good article on why everyone either loves or hates the 6.5cr

i couldn't care less what a bunch of people on the internet think about the creedmoor. i have one in a LR308 platform and i love it. before the panic, ammo was very reasonable and there were tons of choices. if the CM starts not doing what i need it to do, i guess i'll just have to build another gun in another cartridge. darn.

Some people just have time on their hands apparently to hate on other people's stuff. I dont have time to hate on a cartridge. Too busy actually loading and shooting lol. It's like they have a weird emotional attachment to certain rifle cartridges that I don't understand. I dont shoot the 6.5 anymore, but shoot the 6mm variant of it. I stopped caring a long time ago what people shot. I shoot what I like and am happy for people when they shoot what they like. I can understand people getting annoyed with the hype but honestly I see way more bashing than hype now. Either one is extremely annoying

think the creedmoor is bad, don't look at the hype around the grendal lol.

almost got a 6.5 grendal but went 6.8 SPC for hunting as my shots aren't ever gonna be over 200-250 and 300 and under there is such a minuscule difference between the 2

i will say, any 6.5 is a good target cartridge. heck i've even looked in to a 6.5 caliber but just can't bring myself to put on together as other calibers suit my needs better

Last edited:
Some people just have time on their hands apparently to hate on other people's stuff. I dont have time to hate on a cartridge. Too busy actually loading and shooting lol. It's like they have a weird emotional attachment to certain rifle cartridges that I don't understand. I dont shoot the 6.5 anymore, but shoot the 6mm variant of it. I stopped caring a long time ago what people shot. I shoot what I like and am happy for people when they shoot what they like. I can understand people getting annoyed with the hype but honestly I see way more bashing than hype now. Either one is extremely annoying
it's the internet. you could write an article or post a video of yourself handing out $100 to homeless people and someone out there would poopoo on you for not giving them $200

Capture3.PNG

This ^^^ sums it up for me. Though I have no use for the creed case in any caliber today, I have nothing against it. Matter of fact, I shot 1.5 barrels worth of 6.5 Creedmoor in 2014-15, then gave the rifle away to a kid who had lost his father and liked LR shooting.
I recall getting a lot of looks and questions, and 6 Creed is quite popular around here still. Looking back after I was done with it, my conclusion was it was just a 6.5x47 Lapua on Andro. But pushing a bullet faster doesn't always equate to ballistic efficiency.
If whomever designed the 308 case had put a 30 degree shoulder on it, we may not be having this conversation.
As for hype, I think I mimic a whole bunch of guys my age and older who really don't care to hear from a younger crowd just what is best for us, lol.
Maybe once I receive my share of this 2 trillion dollar "Human" infrastructure package my views can be swayed.

"Hating" it is beyond stupid. Never seen a hunter toting one with a man bun or a Biden bumper sticker.
When you have a 6.5 CM, 6.5x55, 260 Rem and 6,5 BEE, you'll know they all kill things very well

I have one with a 24" Bart that is basically a training rifle. It shoots great with minimal load work up. Why run up the round count on my 6.5 SAUM when I can just shoot the CM? Its all about making the right wind call most of the time.

I don't like Hipsters and Man Buns, I think this is reason enough...

Cheers.
I'm 70 years old bald headed wear jeans an tee shirts drink dark bold heavy coffee cheap beer and have a 6.5 and 6mm creed. Stick a man bun where sun don't shine. Plus I have many other rifles in many other cartridges even a 30-66

i Wanted a AR platform rifle. After looking at options I chose the Seekins SP-10 in 6.5 CM. I thought the accuracy would be lacking and bought it planning on an upgrade to a Bartlein barrel (aka GAP-10). I committed to a powder & bullet before getting rifle to have supplies ready. I've only used one powder/bullet combo since purchase and if I had the Bartlein barrel that I had pre-planned on installing one day I would not put it on so as not to mess up unusual accuracy from a semi. I'm getting less than 1/2" MOA every group. I've never seen such low SDs & ESs as every shot is between 2818-2820 as measured by LabRadar. Lapua LR case, GM210M primers, 44.3 StaBall 6.5, 130 OTMs. There are no signs of pressure, but I won't mess with this load. I don't even know anyone who has such low SDs. Maybe some 6 BR or 6 Dasher BR shooters. This is in a semi.
I attribute some of it to the efficiency of the cartridge design as I can't touch these SDs with my GAP built custom bolts.

But is it....really?
Lots of other cartridges are BETTER with better ballistics.
I just don't get it.
Have sat next to a guy at the bench who had a cheap gun and optics, toting that out of the box it was hands down the best package you could buy.
His groups at 100 were woeful, my 6.5x47 Lapua ran rings around it and it was not even tuned ammo. Was testing seating depth with a middle load.
Anyway, I am not convinced and have never read into marketing hype.
When Winchester brought out the WSM, overnight the advertised velocity on boxes of 300WM miraculously reduced from 3030fps for 180g PP ammo down to 2900fps, just so that the 300WSM looked better!
Marketing is just that...hype.

Cheers.

Not really sure that a single person who is vastly over confident in his cheap gear is really a reason to write off an entire cartridge. Heck my brother had one of his buddies with a Savage axis combo gun tell him straight up that he was going to out shoot my brother at 600 yards. My brothers RPR shoots easily sub 1/2 MOA with Hornady American Gunner, he hit the steel every shot and his buddy didn't hit it once.

Availability was my number one concern when I picked the Creedmoor several years ago. My Dad likes X-Bolts and my brother wanted a target rifle but didn't want to spend custom money, the Creedmoor was chambered in pretty much every rifle model you could find. A quick look on Midway has 3 rifles chambered in 260, 2 chambered in 6.5x55, zero in 6.5x47 and 117 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

For ammo American Gunner ammo cost $0.70 a round compared to $1.25+ for other match ammo and was within a couple cents of what I could load for without the days worth of work. Now that all has been shot up we are sitting on a trove of once fired brass that will last several rifles and still cost us less than buying new brass from any of the competing cartridges.

The choice was simple as only the 6.5 Creedmoor fit all of my criteria for a target cartridge. Are there cartridges with better ballistics? Sure which is why my hunting rifle is a 6.5 PRC however I only got 1000 rounds out of my PRC barrel before it crashed compared to the 2000 my brother has on his RPR that is still shooting great groups.

But is it....really?
Lots of other cartridges are BETTER with better ballistics.
I just don't get it.
Have sat next to a guy at the bench who had a cheap gun and optics, toting that out of the box it was hands down the best package you could buy.
His groups at 100 were woeful, my 6.5x47 Lapua ran rings around it and it was not even tuned ammo. Was testing seating depth with a middle load.
Anyway, I am not convinced and have never read into marketing hype.
When Winchester brought out the WSM, overnight the advertised velocity on boxes of 300WM miraculously reduced from 3030fps for 180g PP ammo down to 2900fps, just so that the 300WSM looked better!
Marketing is just that...hype.

Cheers.
Sounds like your real problem is with ignorant shooters, and not the cartridge? It's just another cartridge... we could loose half the cartridges on the market today and wouldn't have any lack of capability. There is so much overlap it's ridiculous, but only only the 6.5C seems to be polarizing. I don't understand why.

For the record, and before I'm accused of having a man bun, I don't own a 6.5C and I don't intend to. My hunting rifles are 270W and 7mmRM. I have a "precision" rifle in 260Rem which I built long before the 6.5C was popular.