Why no hate on the 6CM?

There's the penny that derailed the thread, lol.

But seriously, is there any rifles available in 243 in the styling of the HMR, or Howa KRG perhaps, that has the twist to handle the heavies? I'm not sure there is.

I've also gotten to the point where it's near impossible to find time to load my own ammo these days. The thought crossed my mind to pick up a 6 CM and a case of ammo just so I can have fun this summer when I do get a chance and worry about handloading over the winter. 200 rounds will last me a good while after all.

I just picked up a 6cm for a coyote gun (Bergara premier approach) a couple months ago. Wanted a 243, but couldnt find one with a twist fast enough for the heavies. Its been tough for me to find the time to reload as well - must be this phase in my life with work and kids. I like how I can go pick up a box of the hornady match 108gr and go knock the wind out of stuff.

For the average Joe bubba Billy Bob deer/medium sized game hunter, there is only 2 6.5 cartridges commonly available, the 260 and the creed. The swiss is a great round, but ammo isn't on the shelf at big Al's bullet barn . The lapua is exotic to the average Joe, and the 264 WM is just a different animal.
I worked at a big mom and pop gun store when the 260 got everyone's attention. We couldn't keep them in stock, abolts, 700s, model 7s, ruger 77s, and tikkas ....all sold like hot cakes for a couple years, then it just stopped . The 260 didnt get the help the creed got in the market place. If it had, it would have been a game changer like the creed has become to the average underinformed buyer.
Both are great rounds, and neither are anything more than a mild mannered, mid size game getter with good bc bullets. Nothing more, nothing less. Both have the ability to punch a little over their weight because of their inherent accuracy. Good bullet construction and point of contact are the key.

It's not a machismo contest, who can take the most abuse from recoil. It's about gaining a competitive edge. Such as, being able to spot your own shots, a fast recovery from recoil for follow up shots, staying on target, and high BC bullets that buck the wind. They're shooting paper and steel, the amount of energy doesn't matter. Just speed and accuracy.

If you have 90 seconds to put 10 rounds into multiple targets from improvised positions, a small change in recoil can make a difference in seeing your impacts and hitting those targets. Not so much for hunting or casual target shooting. It doesn't have anything to do with being able to "handle the recoil."

Wow, tough crowd! LOL

It has everything to do with handling recoil! Recoil management is just as important in hunting and LR shooting as it is in competition. The problem is that with small bore chamberings the shooter gets away with having sloppy technique. Poor recoil management isn't as much of an issue with a low recoil round as it will be with a larger caliber or lighter rifle. That's why you'll see excellent target shooters who struggle to shoot as well with a larger gun; I see it all the time. They have the basics down but get beat up when they try to apply them to a 12# 300 Win Mag. Then they go back to shooting what they handle best and you end up with the folks who believe that the small cases are the best thing ever since they shoot them so much better. That doesn't make the 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor (or any of the ballistically similar chamberings) better or worse, it just makes them easier for people to shoot well.

And just so nobody thinks I'm taking cheap shots at PRS (even though I am) I've been the RO at a few local matches and even shot a few of them with a 19" specialty pistol in 260 REM, and held my own against the rifles. That said, I'm just going to leave this here...........
l3g1QGw.jpg

Howa HS precision or Bergara HMR....

Howa runs a 7.5" twist vs the Bergara with 1-8". Enough to fret over? I'm at ~1100'. I doubt I'll ever shoot over a 110 class match round or 88-95gr monos...

The stock on the Bergara fits soooo sweet.

I'd probably go with the Bergara just for the stock. I don't think there's any real world difference between a 7.5" or 8" twist so I'd call that a wash. It'd be different if one had a 7" twist

Now you've got me thinking that I need one of these, I HATE the 6mm Creedmoor! :D

Howa HS precision or Bergara HMR....

Howa runs a 7.5" twist vs the Bergara with 1-8". Enough to fret over? I'm at ~1100'. I doubt I'll ever shoot over a 110 class match round or 88-95gr monos...

The stock on the Bergara fits soooo sweet.

I haven't shot an HMR, but my Bergara premier approach is sweeeeet man! I bounced back and forth between a few different guns, the xbolt mcmillan and the savage 10 GRS, ended up with the Bergara and love it. The 10 GRS was a close second for me...

I haven't shot an HMR, but my Bergara premier approach is sweeeeet man! I bounced back and forth between a few different guns, the xbolt mcmillan and the savage 10 GRS, ended up with the Bergara and love it. The 10 GRS was a close second for me...
That 10 GRS grip looks like it would fit like a glove! That said, I've always brought my grips to me , instead of searching for something that does the job in a factory number. I always enjoyed whittling wood, but in the age of plastics and camo, it's really easy to build up a stock with epoxy or plastic filler and and stick your hand in it to make a one off , fit just to you. Spray some krylon on the finished product and, waulua, custom gun just for you :D

Last year I was debating 243 vs 6mm cm. I went with 6mm cm when I found dies and brass were readily available. It was easy to work up a load. very accurate up to 500, that is as far as my range allows, effective on pigs, I rely on being accurate, in the ear works every time. A pleasure to shoot. I don't care what others like or dislike, Im the one spending the $

This will be for a sub 400 yard deer rifle and banging steel in the back 40. I thought about calling Bergara and asking if I could get an HMR in 243 but I'm sure it'll cost extra. I know Savage would probably chamber a 7" twist (or whatever their 6mm is) barrel in 243 if you asked. I've already got 243 dies. I just don't feel like rebarreling my 788. By the time I get thru with that, a new stock, and trigger it's at the cost of a nice factory stick. And it just feels kinda clunky. It's either getting sold or going to the back of the safe for awhile.

Put it in the safe and hang onto it ….. otherwise, you will hate yourself when you change your mind after you sell it. Don't ask me how I know that.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.