Everybody loves the WSM, so why are brass companies ignoring it?

Seems to me that if you haven't established yourself well, like the 300wm, 7rm, 308, 30-06, and all the other "old timers", then you need a name behind you. All the rage I'm hearing nowadays are either Hornady, Nosler, or a few others. There are those who like wildcats and have a great following like @elkaholic with the Sherman's (which is the way I'm going). The WSM seems like it just fell through the cracks and it's not cool enough to tell your buddies about. Not to mention the need to reload, but if you do that, the options are endless.

The .300WSM is a great cartridge. I've got a few and they shoot great, especially for hunting. But, due to the design, it is not the best platform for the long range crowd, which is what is getting all the attention right now.

As good as the .300 WSm is, the 7mm WSM is even better but even more overlooked. I've been searching for a Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM, and they're are as scarce as hen's teeth.
7mm WSM is my favorite as well

The WSMs are great cartridges with the 7 WSM being the best of the bunch IMO. It is strange that the 7SAUM gets so much play while the WSM is overlooked by the better brass manufacturers.
I think this is largely due to the short neck of the saami 7WSM compared to the SAUM. The 7-300WSM is (IMHO) the perfect WSM.

Attachments

• 89154.jpeg
    89154.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 33
I might be a little "off course" but it seems to me something or someone has a hair up the keester with Winchester. I have 2 .17 Winchester Super Mag rifles, ya I know it's a rimfire but they stopped producing ammo probably a year ago. I know a lot of us farmers who swear by it for pests, groundhogs, coons, etc. out to 250 yards it is (was) absolutely the best rimfire cartridge ever! Everyone around here got rid of their .17hmr's and 22 Hornets in favor of it. Including me. I know the WSM brass is impossible to find, but if you can locate it at least you can reload it. Myself, I shoot a lot of 22-250, .223, and 6mmAI when I'm going to longer-range shots and was looking to get a 243 WSSM, but now I kind of gave up on that idea and decided to just stick with the 6mmAI. As far as the 17 Super Mag, I replaced it with a 17 Fireball/Mach IV I put together around a Savage 110 action, Rifle Basics trigger, Boyds stock, and an EABCO barrel. Cheap build, Shoots great, and ballistic performance is on par with the 22-250, where windage is of no concern, but it'll never replace the Super Mag. Heavier and noisier.

I think this is largely due to the short neck of the saami 7WSM compared to the SAUM. The 7-300WSM is (IMHO) the perfect WSM.
Thats correct! the 7wsm was a good performer but had some negatives, especially the neck being so short.
Here is the solution in spades:

wsm .240" neck MEGA .334" neck
wsm capacity 82** MEGA 84 {ADG}
35 degree 40 degree
less body taper
20230830_124705.jpg

How available is the MEGA brass?
What are the performance advantages?
reamers, brass and dies always in stock.
My 25 1/4" barrel 7 MEGA will run a 195 up to 3100 (current load is 3020 at 2 under Max
a 180 will run past 3200 (current load is 3180
Loads are N570 and shoot a ragged hole and brass life is at 8 firings and going strong.
I have both MA and LA reamers. to shoot the 195 at top performance you need a long action but the 180 runs fine on a mid. under 3.2"

I really like my Defiance actioned 7/300 WSM. Loved how the Norma brass brought my groups down to one jagged hole from the Winchester brass. That was until I realized I could only get three loadings on the Norma brass(270WSM necked up). Went to shoot and half my loaded rounds where missing primers. was just sick so I have not shot it since and that was probably 5 years ago. Thought about rebarreling it to another .284(7prc) round or something larger since it's a long action. I think I am going to hold off on doing that after reading this post and hope for some 300WSM ADG brass or prey that they come out with the 270WSM Peterson brass soon🤞. Shot a lot of big River bottom bucks with that rifle!

I shot two rounds of ten year old? Winchester PP 180 in my kimber 300 wsm today. 3361 wow! My kid looks over thinking what the F. I said that was smoking! Next round 3384. Wowsers! Only had two. Did a ladder with H4831 worked up to 68.4 at 2868. 1 grain node. Wish I loaded beyond 68.4.my kimber has a tight chamber. So that's why I didn't load hotter. However I think the old win. PP were case welded being old. First round had four vertical cracks in shoulder neck area. GOOD TIMESi

reamers, brass and dies always in stock.
My 25 1/4" barrel 7 MEGA will run a 195 up to 3100 (current load is 3020 at 2 under Max
a 180 will run past 3200 (current load is 3180
Loads are N570 and shoot a ragged hole and brass life is at 8 firings and going strong.
I have both MA and LA reamers. to shoot the 195 at top performance you need a long action but the 180 runs fine on a mid. under 3.2"
Rich,
What recipe to fire-form the brass for the Mega, I have a barrel coming soon and the 300 might just be the ticket in a LA.