Why are flat based bullets so accurate?

Just spit balling here, but couldn't it also be said that most fb bullets are on the lighter scale of the bullet range for most rifles? I see them mainly in the 125gr for the 308, 50 and under grains for the 224, and my AR10 338 shoots the 200gr in the 338 federal. Does anyone have expirence with heavier fb bullets? The lighter then normal recoil will make it more accurate as well..

Just spit balling here, but couldn't it also be said that most fb bullets are on the lighter scale of the bullet range for most rifles? I see them mainly in the 125gr for the 308, 50 and under grains for the 224, and my AR10 338 shoots the 200gr in the 338 federal. Does anyone have expirence with heavier fb bullets? The lighter then normal recoil will make it more accurate as well..

Yes. The less time a bullet spends in a barrel the better off you will be.

Al most all big bore bullets are flat based especially those over 400 grains.

Lots of reasons for this, the most bearing surface, Not a great need for BCs and as said earlier
they engrave better.

Bench rest shooters that normally stay at 200 yards or less like to use them also.

The best group I have ever shot was using a 400 grain flat based 416 bullet (.031 ).

J E CUSTOM

In addition to the other comments, flat based bullets normally have more bearing surface and tend to seal faster when fired.

Some boat tailed bullets have a very short bearing surface and some barrels/twist don't like them.

J E CUSTOM

Listen to JE Custom.. I have built my life around building guns and disagree with most of the internet lore or ******** as I plainly call it. I can tell seeing JE comments he also has learned the truth from the ********. He is spot on all the time.

No he did not pay me to say this and I have never met him. But he is one of the wisest and most experienced on here.

my experience leads toward flat base bullets are tighter groups at 100 than my boattails then the boattails tend to settle down at 200 and farther totally eat up the flatbases in accuracy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts