Why no love for the A bolt?

My Stainless Stalker 7mm mag is near perfect as it is, both accuracy and features wise. After tuning the BOSS just a bit, mine will do just over two inches at 300 yards with Federals Premium 160gr Nosler Partitions. AND it kicks less than my old Winchester '94!

There is a reason there are very few aftermarket parts. My builder did not work on them when he had his shop open. I have a friend who has one in 284 and it shoots pretty good for a factory rifle --- in the 1 inch range at 100 yards.

I can only assume that it is a supply and demand situation. If there were more Browning running off the shelf than any other brand, there would be after market accessories. Did your smith not work on them because they were too hard to work on? Or were they just not common enough to become proficient at working on them?

Merry Christmas Hoss,

Steve

Most smiths do not like to work on them because of the fine threads on the barrell. Only down side I see is their are only a few calibres offered in anything longer than a 22" barrell. All of mine shoot .75 or less w/handloads. I have had 3 rebarrelled to get a longer heavier barrell. Not many aftermarket componets because none are needed other than a Timney trigger spring change out. Maybe another reason the smiths don't like them is no need to have the bolts trued nor install Sako extractors.:D

My 325 wsm shoots ok I HAVE A 3/8 AND 1/2" target for 100 hanging in my shop, but it holds about 1 moa out to 6-700 still working with it.

I really like the brownings. I have several of them. I havent really had a chance to shoot them much though. I have a .300 WM, a .325 WSM, .338 WM. I also have a .30-06 in the BAR. The fit and finish on all the rifles is great.

I can only assume that it is a supply and demand situation. If there were more Browning running off the shelf than any other brand, there would be after market accessories. Did your smith not work on them because they were too hard to work on? Or were they just not common enough to become proficient at working on them?

Merry Christmas Hoss,

Steve

Merry Christmas to you as well---my Smiths are Speedy Gonzalez and Chuck Grace. Speedy is well known in the BR circles and is a HOF Shooter as well. He only worked on the custom, Remington's and the clones with respect to actions. I have one Ruger short tube 308 that I had to beg him and Stick to work on and they cussed it the whole time lol. Accuracy is the name of the game for me on competition as well as sporters so I learned after spending hundreds of hours in the shop that I would stay with what worked every time.

Merry Christmas to you as well---my Smiths are Speedy Gonzalez and Chuck Grace. Speedy is well known in the BR circles and is a HOF Shooter as well. He only worked on the custom, Remington's and the clones with respect to actions. I have one Ruger short tube 308 that I had to beg him and Stick to work on and they cussed it the whole time lol. Accuracy is the name of the game for me on competition as well as sporters so I learned after spending hundreds of hours in the shop that I would stay with what worked every time.

I did one re-barrel on a Ruger, never again. So what do they not like about the Browning action? Did they ever say? The Ruger project shoots fine, but getting a scope set up for long range was near impossible. Very little accessories available.

Steve

I did one re-barrel on a Ruger, never again. So what do they not like about the Browning action? Did they ever say? The Ruger project shoots fine, but getting a scope set up for long range was near impossible. Very little accessories available.

Steve

Steve--not to cause a let's jump on Dave thread (me) but SGY made the decision to just leave certain makes alone because of inconstancy in the actions as well as there was just not enough demand for custom work that included accuracy (making jigs and fixtures etc) as a primary requirement after all "the only interesting rifle is an accurate one" and the term "accurate" varies from person to person.

After getting involved in competitive shooting and being mentored by Speedy among others my definition of "accurate" is probably on the more extreme side meaning that if a sporter for example will not shoot .25 MOA it does not meet my definition of "accurate". Sure it involves much more than just the rifle however, it is something that I find very fun to do meaning the entire process including measuring bearing surfaces of each bullet for example.

Will be leaving tomorrow or Monday for Colorado to go to see Speedy and pick up "Greenie" his old competition rifle and a extra tube along with the dies etc also going to build a sporter using a Stiller action in 300 Jarrett along with the dies which then will go to Bodycote for carborizing then back to Speedy to be polished out. After that it is off to see how it shoots!!!!!

Last edited:
Steve--not to cause a let's jump on Dave thread (me) but SGY made the decision to just leave certain makes alone because of inconstancy in the actions as well as there was just not enough demand for custom work that included accuracy (making jigs and fixtures etc) as a primary requirement after all "the only interesting rifle is an accurate one" and the term "accurate" varies from person to person.

After getting involved in competitive shooting and being mentored by Speedy among others my definition of "accurate" is probably on the more extreme side meaning that if a sporter for example will not shoot .25 MOA it does not meet my definition of "accurate". Sure it involves much more than just the rifle however, it is something that I find very fun to do meaning the entire process including measuring bearing surfaces of each bullet for example.

OK. That I understand. Thank you.

Steve

I just bought an Abolt 300wm with boss. Havnt shot it yet but I will try to get a report up tomorrow.

Hey Leatherman..what can you tell me about this rifle? I am considering the same rifle (stainles stalker) for LH (so few available). I already have a 500 yd rifle though so this would be for longer range shots on high country elk primarily. How was yours to shoot? Thanks for any info.

On another thread I NOTICED Jon A, has a A-bolt 300RUM, McMillan stock, 27'' LILJA, and barrel work done by Kirby Allen, nice looking outfitt.

Steve

HUH? I just drilled my ruger for a standard 700 base and it works perfect! This guns has shot 1 hole groups about 5 out of 7 range sessions. It is a .308 in a hogue full aluminum stock. OH and its the varmint target model with the target grey. This finish is my favorite out of any. It simply does not rust!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.