Why no love for Nosler E-Tips??

Lefty,
When you say you went back to Hornady, do you mean you went back to the GMX bullets that Hornady makes?

I have great luck with Barnes bullets but never found what I was looking for with the GMX line.

Lefty,
When you say you went back to Hornady, do you mean you went back to the GMX bullets that Hornady makes?

I have great luck with Barnes bullets but never found what I was looking for with the GMX line.
I was wondering the same. Broad statement. I couldn't imagine better results with Hornady over Nosler with like type bullets. Generally speaking.

Nothing wrong with them, that some reading and reloading couldn't cure . I've read that they like at least a 100 thousants jump to the lands, some rifles even more ,their not all the same , the Swift scirocco comes to mind Because it to also likes a 70/90 thousants jump to the lands , yes it's not a mono but wanted to clue you . Going on record the E-Tip never replaced the Barnes X bullet , the other copies didn't either , opinions vary ,just as people do, some can reload , other so so, some make it a passion .

I don't mind the GMX... I have some of the 130's loaded for my 270. That rifle (a Tikka t3) actually likes the Barnes MRX 130's but they are rare as hens teeth lately so I usually shoot cup and core Hornady or nos bt's in it.
As far as my 300win, I shoot the 165 Hornady interlock fb in it with a healthy dose of rl22. The pill makes close to 3300 fps in my browning, and does very well for badlands hunting.
I've played with the GS customs and Barnes x/ Barnes Tsx bullets too... I do use the 300gr Tsx in my 375 h@h over enough i 4320 to get it close to 2600 fps.
I don't need to use the mono's where I live, but I always have a couple rifles around that will digest them well. I may one day hunt where they are mandated or someone may get a wild hair up their backside and get a lead ban railroaded through.

My experience with Mono metal bullets has been mixed. When they first arrived on the shooting scene, I had to try them because they were touted as the perfect bullet. Each time another one came out I had to try them. As far as accuracy goes, some were very accurate and some were not.

Some fouled badly because of the alloy chosen and others did not. The mono metal bullets that performed (Good accuracy And little fouling) did have one thing that I could never figure out and that was expansion consistency. Some expanded and looked great, at other times the did not and the game had to be tracked for some distance.

All the shots that I evaluated were traditional behind the shoulder shots so they were apples to apples results. I realize that sometimes a deer or Elk can do the impossible and run even though it is a perfect shot, so this was taken in account.

The jacketed bullets have done nearly the same at times, so the answer seemed to be the bullet selection was not the best for the shot and game that caused a less than perfect results.

In theory, the mono metal bullets should out perform the jacketed bullets but with so many variances in barrels, loads, velocities, distances, ETC the results will vary. As with any bullet, quality, design and materials are the key, but the use and placement is the other half on the equation.

My personal use of mono metal bullets is limited by the rifle and its performance on certain game, So I use the best performer for that rifle and don't get hung up on one type of bullet Because I haven't found that GOLDEN BULLET that will do everything.

Some good friends tell me that Hammer bullets have it figured out. They will be the next on my list to try. But that will be several hunting seasons because One shot doesn't trend and I like 6 to 10 examples before I render judgment on anything.

J E CUSTOM

I've been shooting Barnes for years with excellent results. This years CO elk was taken at 600 yards with a complete pass through and only a 10 yard track job. I have an '06 that bought as a kid. I loaded some 130 gr. XLC's for whitetail back in the day, and had 1.5" groups @ 300 yards. Still have some somewhere! I had heard the E-tips were harder than both Barnes or Hammers, so I've stayed away from trying them. Someone mentioned having petals break off which would indicate a harder more brittle bullet. I only had one Barnes that didn't perform, and that was a 168 TTSX fired from the '06. The shot was 397 yards. Hit the elk high and found the bullet with only the tip mushroomed. I sent a picture to Barnes, and after some research, discovered the bullets were from one of the first batches for the 168, and were designed for magnums only. No issues since!

Nothing wrong with them, that some reading and reloading couldn't cure . I've read that they like at least a 100 thousants jump to the lands, some rifles even more....
I was shooting them at "normal" .020 and some closer, so I may revisit their use....

They were my go to bullet in my 7 STW. Was using the 140 gr at 3300 fps. One shot kills on WY antelope and mule deer. Shots ranged from 355-410 yards. Consistantly under 0.50" moa. Nothing wrong with the E-tips. I tended to find that they liked to be jumped and got best accuracy when I used Noslers load data for the COAL.
Put a new barrel on the STW and it hated the E-tips. Then I discovered Hammer bullets and haven't looked back.

I don't mind the GMX... I have some of the 130's loaded for my 270. That rifle (a Tikka t3) actually likes the Barnes MRX 130's but they are rare as hens teeth lately so I usually shoot cup and core Hornady or nos bt's in it.

Haven't checked recently, but these guys bought up the last of the stock of the MRX's in .277" diameter a while back. They are 150-grains, not 130's. Probably as close as you're gonna get :

https://ammomart.com/270-winchester-barnes-150gr-mrx-projectiles-50-count

I was looking into this a while back, when I was looking at buying a 270. I ended up with a 280, so that was the end of my search for 270 bullets. Hope this helps you out.

May want to visit hammers before tossing more e tips. Very easy to load for and thread on here that outlines their effectiveness on game at all ranges.
I'd love to but cost prohibitive for me. I have a bunch of Barnes and E-tips to use up first. Maybe the cost will come down by then...

I have had good luck with the 180 E-Tip in my 300 RUM. I needed a mono for a WY Bison hunt due to the Jackson Elk Refuge. I built a good load and it performed well, but most bullets would have with the shot placement. I decided to use it on a AZ elk hunt the following year and took a mature bull. This shot was 418 yards and I hit it to far forward and hit it on the shoulder knuckle. It shattered the bone, and then shattered the off shoulder knuckle and recovered it under the hide. It went about 7-8 yards but on its lower lip.

I have not tried hammers but I don't use mono's unless I need to. I love my 165 Ball-Tips for deer / antelope and they usually don't take a step or get up.

I see so many projectiles mentioned over and over but never any love for the Nosler E-Tips. I've used many and harvested a few animals with them with good results. What's your actual experience with them on paper or game?

when I was hunting much more than today, E-tips from Nosler were not even on the market. a short time in Cali I used Barnes with very good results. Woodleigh were not in calibers I shot. Hornady GMX monos, Hammers, and cutting edge were not on the market either. when Cali went lead free only all that was on the market was Barnes. Honestly I have not had time to test out Woodleigh in my 375 H&H, I have not had time to order any hammers, cutting edge, GMX and E-tips in 0.308", 0.277", 0.338", 0.429", 0.357", 0.264", and 0.458".

Haven't checked recently, but these guys bought up the last of the stock of the MRX's in .277" diameter a while back. They are 150-grains, not 130's. Probably as close as you're gonna get :

https://ammomart.com/270-winchester-barnes-150gr-mrx-projectiles-50-count

I was looking into this a while back, when I was looking at buying a 270. I ended up with a 280, so that was the end of my search for 270 bullets. Hope this helps you out.
That's actually a buy on the mrx pills... I think I paid more for mine on sale... More like $1.50 each... The bad part is you had better buy up 500 of them if you actually want to develop a load and shoot it for a while... I've got my eyes on a Smith model 25 with a pinned barrel right now... Bullets will have to wait...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.