Why no love for Nosler E-Tips??

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Jluck, Dec 1, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Jluck

Jluck Well-Known Member

I see so many projectiles mentioned over and over but never any love for the Nosler E-Tips. I’ve used many and harvested a few animals with them with good results. What’s your actual experience with them on paper or game?

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Since they are lead free, are there really that many people shooting them?

Hse0785 likes this.
  3. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

I've tried them in 3 different cartridges and couldn't get the accuracy results I desired, and they run slower than like lead weight bullets. I think there is better technology out there for monos

4. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

There are much better monos if that is your thing. If your not required to use monos and want better long range performance, there are much better long range bullets that not only will perform better at extended ranges but also have a much better bc and retain more energy and speed while maintaining less wind drift.

They are a "good enough" close range option if you don't want to spend the money for the superior Hammer monos. But they aren't anything special.

Hse0785 likes this.
  5. Jluck

Jluck Well-Known Member

Yep, more people shooting monos all the time, by choice or law. That’s the part that surprises me. Hammers and Barnes are mentioned daily... monos have their place and are here to stay.

Alibiiv and Hse0785 like this.
  6. Jluck

Jluck Well-Known Member

Thank you for the actual experienced answer.

7. Memberberries

Memberberries Well-Known Member

I've considered them a handful of times but they just aren't stocked at any of my local shops. Gmx and tsx/ttsx are and I do my best to buy local.

Alibiiv and Laelkhunter like this.
  8. Andrew Massi

Andrew Massi Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

They're a pain in the butt. Every lot is so drastically different you have to start load development over again. They're also harder than a barnes or gmx.

Jluck likes this.
  9. Draftmule

Draftmule Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of monos but favorite drivers are E Tips and Hammers in 26 Nosler, 270 WSM and 300 WSM.

10. CaptnC

CaptnC Well-Known Member

I've had so.much trouble with the Hornady GMX 6.5MM 120gr bullets...I felt I would suffer the same fate with them!

I tried 200 GMX in no less than 6 rifles...6.5 Grendel (2 - AR platform), 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 6.5-06 and 6.5x284.

I spent a lot of time and components with not that good of results. So I passed on trying the same thing with E-Tips...

11. Kimber7man

Kimber7man Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I like them. Factory Nosler 7mm08 140 grain e-tip at 370 yards, one shot through both lungs took down my first cow elk last year.

Calhntr, Graymun, Hse0785 and 2 others like this.
  12. CO_Guy

CO_Guy Well-Known Member

It really does not help to forward an opinion based on something other than experience. The monos are excellent. Of course, they lack the SD of leaded bullets and what that gives to long range performance but I've tried Barnes TSX and TTSX and Hornady GMX with excellent performance on the range and in the field. I have cooked up hunting loads in 270WSM, 308, 270, 338WM. They have opened up without fail on pronghorn and elk. I am not surprised at your E Tip results given their profile and design but I would say they are less popular than Barnes and Hornady. Did you ever recover a bullet?

Calhntr likes this.
  13. Jluck

Jluck Well-Known Member

I have recovered only one on an elk. It unfortunately didn’t perform very well in that case and only that case, petals sheered off and half the bullet was under other side hide. We have probably killed 6 or 8 animals with them now, all others were pass through. I know some bullets from all manufacturers are going to have failures. I can accept that. I’ve been in Barnes ballistic lab and actually seen some of their failures. That was neat.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    CO_Guy likes this.
  14. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

I worked with the e-tips for a spell years back with my 300win... I had a good load, but it proved temperamental as to conditions (1/2 moa one day and 2 the next type of stuff) so I quit it and went back to Hornady...