Why no love for the A bolt?

1] they cost to much
2] they are not a Remington
3] no after market parts {barrels}
4]and last they are not a Remington

but one question to ask.Do you see them at bench rest matches?or have you built a rifel from an A bolt?just to much to do when it comes to an A bolt.but for a remington you can do about anything you want to.and it want brake the bank.just to tweek a trigger you have to by a spring kit.but for a remington you just have to turn a few screws.so you tell me what you would rather want when it comes to the point when your barrel is shot out.our you want to build one from the start on a budget.but hey this is just an opinion.so don't hate me for my thoughts.had an A bolt and was glade to have passed it on.remingtons are just a good old rifel.and when they go you just make another one out of it.its just that easy.

1] they cost to much
2] they are not a Remington
3] no after market parts {barrels}
4]and last they are not a Remington

but one question to ask.Do you see them at bench rest matches?or have you built a rifel from an A bolt?just to much to do when it comes to an A bolt.but for a remington you can do about anything you want to.and it want brake the bank.just to tweek a trigger you have to by a spring kit.but for a remington you just have to turn a few screws.its just that easy.

No problem. And I don't hate you but lets clear up some terms. Browning A Bolt is a hunting rifle, and a light weight hunting rifle at that (at least the Stalker is). This is contrary to the whole idea of benchrest shooting where a 30 lb. rifle is not out of line. The trigger in the A Bolt is one of the finest of all the medium priced factory rifles. It can be adjusted down to 2 lbs. just by turning the screw. This all works great in a 400 yard hunting rifle.

I believe Remington got the jump on the rest of the market when they produced factory heavy barreled sniping rifles for the Viet Nam era. Remmys also have a very fast lock time and this is critical for target competion.
Remmy was also the first out with the Sendero rifles. Other manufactures have played catch up ever since. All good reasons that Remmys have all the after market support including after market triggers.

JM .02

Johnboy, I bought a brand new 223, vtr, couldnt hardley close the bolt on a factory round. Was going to have to send it back. I wanted to shot it ,took it to local smith and had bolt face worked on, To say the least, was not impressed with my first Remington

Yes, the A-Bolt was designed as a lightweight hunting action but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with their accuracy. The ones I've been around have been fantastic with both factory and aftermarket barrels. There are some limitations people should be aware of though:

The barrel tennon diameter is smaller than Remington. So it isn't quite as good a platform for a large diameter, heavy barrel. Of course putting a barrel like that on a lightweight action makes no sense anyway.

For the same reason, 338 Lapua based cartridges are out (IMHO at least).

COL's are limited to 3.6". So with a 300 RUM like mine the bullets need to be seated deeply. Obviously not ideal but in practice it's not that big a deal.

Many smiths will shy away from them--most specifically the stainless action. Apparently some form of locktite Browning uses has given some problems removing the barrel without galling the threads or otherwise damaging the action. How much there is to that and how much it's just smiths wanting to work on Remingtons because that's what all their tools are for, I don't know. But it's there.

So if you are building a 12, 15, 20 lb rifle there are better action choices. But for a carry rifle anywhere from 6-12 lbs they can work just fine.

I really like the 60 degree bolt lift, tang safety, magazine system, etc. So it's not that they're any "better" accuracy wise or anything, I simply like using them in the field.

sp6x6 sorry to hear about what happened.and I did not say one time that the A-bolt sucked.just stated that remington was a better rifel for rebarreling.even better for after market parts.and for me I wouldn't have let remington and their triangular barrel fool me into buying one.the 5R is a better rifel hands down.for me they shoot just as good as a 40x in most case's.and I have both.its just that to me remington has had the upper hand for a long time.and if you cannot afford a custom action you can find a used rem action at a pawn shop farely cheep.and most smiths will buil off of a rem action with out trying to sale you their custom action.and for what its worth I had a Browning in a Medallion grade and it was not a shooter.traded it for a rem 700.

sorry if I came across as a butt hole.just wanted to make a point.I really like the web site and wouldn't do anything to cause trouble.your shooting buddy,John

Yes, the A-Bolt was designed as a lightweight hunting action but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with their accuracy. The ones I've been around have been fantastic with both factory and aftermarket barrels. There are some limitations people should be aware of though:

The barrel tennon diameter is smaller than Remington. So it isn't quite as good a platform for a large diameter, heavy barrel. Of course putting a barrel like that on a lightweight action makes no sense anyway.

So if you are building a 12, 15, 20 lb rifle there are better action choices. But for a carry rifle anywhere from 6-12 lbs they can work just fine.

I really like the 60 degree bolt lift, tang safety, magazine system, etc. So it's not that they're any "better" accuracy wise or anything, I simply like using them in the field.

Ive had 4 A-Bolts and all of them shoot under 0.75 moa with their favorite loads. My 23" 270 WSM Stalker became the doner action for my new build.
26" Stainless, McGowan in #4 Douglas profile, 7 SAUM. This shoots one hole groups at 100 yds. I wasn't sure a Browning could do it but it was worth a try. Now I have a 7 lb. longer range Browning Stalker. :D
The short action with bottom metal weighs 2 lbs 2 oz. I was suprised too. LOL.

Ive had 4 A-Bolts and all of them shoot under 0.75 moa with their favorite loads. My 23" 270 WSM Stalker became the doner action for my new build.
26" Stainless, McGowan in #4 Douglas profile, 7 SAUM. This shoots one hole groups at 100 yds. I wasn't sure a Browning could do it but it was worth a try. Now I have a 7 lb. longer range Browning Stalker. :D
The short action with bottom metal weighs 2 lbs 2 oz. I was suprised too. LOL.

I also had good experience with three A-bolts, none were mine but got to shot them. All long action, shot under moa accurate up to 1000 yards so far. Lastly one of them didn't have a boss, loaded up a hand load and it did very well for our standard on the first batch! Half Moa or so, so it should get better with fireformed brass. I think its luck cause some factory gun do well and some just don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.