Good article on why everyone either loves or hates the 6.5cr

One thing I can say about the 6.5creedmoor, it has brought more new shooters into the precision rifle game in the last 13 years than any other cartridge. I know there are alot of cooler calibers out there but the 6.5creedmoor is the first specifically marketed as the beginners long range rifle. Also before we knock the science of the 6.5cm consider what it was marketed against: the 308. I know that you can do anything with a "custom" barrel on the 308, 260, 243, 22-250, 7mm08..... But YOU put a custom barrel on it. At that point you could have had one of the Sherman cartridges or a 65-284 or a 7saum. But that's not the point. You can buy any 65cm from a 279 axis to a hells canyon long range and you get something that is very easy to reload for because the specs are that far between different manufacturers.

I don't have one, O don't have a Man Bun, I don't drink Latte and I don't do Trends.

Can someone smarter than me provide some accurate date regarding 6.5cm Vs 7mm-08?
The U tube clip I saw had a bias toward the Man Bun but the figures support the 7mm-08
Ive no use for them my wifes 7mm08 xbolt will do anything and more than that 6.5 remix crap

My initial post was tongue in cheek, but my point is this; I don't like the fact that new shooters show up to an informal match/practice day, with literally zero knowledge of the rounds they are shooting other than the marketing hype regarding shooting LR with the 6.5 Needmoor.
They have no idea what it takes to shoot even 600, let alone 800 or 1000.
They will even quote the false claim that the Needmoor shoots flatter than a WM/WSM.
It just annoys me that these people have not looked into ballistic tables drop charts or other such info. Had one of these Hipsters question a guy on the 600 line because he was shooting a 223.
How dare he of little knowledge?
I'm shrugging my shoulders at this point.

Cheers.

And please don't bash the 308 Win. I know the .264 caliber bullets have a better ballistic coefficient and sectional density but there's no need to kick the old dog. Heck I was having fun shooting steel out to 1126 yards with it two weeks ago. I doubt the steel noticed the difference.
Even if the steel can't feel it I bet there were bigger bruises.

I'm skipping over all 5 pages of comments thus far as these threads can be a bit poisonous but kinda fun. It has all of the limitations expected, it has many equals, and plenty of superiors. It was/is a popular round, with fantastic marketing and great supply at one time. I don't currently own or manage any man buns, nor do I consider myself an expert or the best. I'm just a guy whose modified his 6.5 Creedmoor over the years to be the best possible weapon ever assembled with the best ever ballistics possible on this planet, enjoys shooting it and evolving in the sport to own many other Calibers and who occasionally puts his hair up into a circular shape with aide from a rubber band or hair tie. Thank you

Last edited:
I'm skipping over all 5 pages of comments thus far as these threads can be a bit poisonous but kinda fun. It has all of the limitations expected, it has many equals, and plenty of superiors. It was/is a popular round, with fantastic marketing and great supply at one time. I don't currently own or manage any man buns, nor do I consider myself an expert or the best. I'm just a guy whose modified his 6.5 Creedmoor over the years to be the best possible weapon ever assembled with the best ever ballistics possible on this planet, enjoys shooting it and evolving in the sport to own many other Calibers and who occasionally puts his hair up into a circular shape with aide from a rubber band or hair tie. Thank you
All that while sipping a Latte.

One thing I can say about the 6.5creedmoor, it has brought more new shooters into the precision rifle game in the last 13 years than any other cartridge. I know there are alot of cooler calibers out there but the 6.5creedmoor is the first specifically marketed as the beginners long range rifle. Also before we knock the science of the 6.5cm consider what it was marketed against: the 308. I know that you can do anything with a "custom" barrel on the 308, 260, 243, 22-250, 7mm08..... But YOU put a custom barrel on it. At that point you could have had one of the Sherman cartridges or a 65-284 or a 7saum. But that's not the point. You can buy any 65cm from a 279 axis to a hells canyon long range and you get something that is very easy to reload for because the specs are that far between different manufacturers.
That's just plain old Gibberish

unless you're paying for my guns/ammo, i'm going to shoot whatever i want. if you dont like the cartridge, dont shoot it, dont watch youtube videos on it and dont read articles about it. i disagree with people that think they can wake up tomorrow and magically become the other gender. so i just ignore people when they start talking about it. it's the internet - sometimes there's stuff on it that you won't agree with.

It's an excellent cartridge. Probably the best all around short action cartridge there has been yet with all things considered. Argue all you want to make yourself feel better but weigh the pros and cons of the 6.5 Creedmoor compared to others and you'll see why I said what I said. You'll be dead and gone before the Creedmoor ever fades out.

No data for you.. I wanted a mountain rifle to fill a niche. Looked closely at 260 REM, 6.5 CM, & 7mm-08.
Came down to CM vs. 7/08.
For same grain wt, the two are very similar out to 400, but 6.5 bullets have better ballistic profile for the same weight, and thus the CM looks better out farther.
The 7mm-08 has a lot more choices as far as heavier bullets, and chose it over the CM. Very happy with my choice.
It was also easy in that I loaded for two other 7mms.
I now also have three 6.5s, none of them CM.
When you get down to it there's a lot of overlap with those rounds and a 308 win. I like all of them as they do different jobs well so all you really need is to prioritize the jobs. Lately I've been toying with the idea of a 7-08 and 180 gr boowits. Do you mind sharing any experiences/ loads? MP is fine to take it off the thread.

My initial post was tongue in cheek, but my point is this; I don't like the fact that new shooters show up to an informal match/practice day, with literally zero knowledge of the rounds they are shooting other than the marketing hype regarding shooting LR with the 6.5 Needmoor.
They have no idea what it takes to shoot even 600, let alone 800 or 1000.
They will even quote the false claim that the Needmoor shoots flatter than a WM/WSM.
It just annoys me that these people have not looked into ballistic tables drop charts or other such info. Had one of these Hipsters question a guy on the 600 line because he was shooting a 223.
How dare he of little knowledge?
I'm shrugging my shoulders at this point.

Cheers.
It doesn't take the needmore to bring out the folks you are talking about. There are always people in all activities that show up as experts having never done the activity they are experts in. I had a fellow with an 80K$ Ranger 620 with all the "required" gear pay me to put him on walleyes last Sunday...in my boat. Marketers market, wannabees want to be, and together they drive the economy and create cool stuff. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin, it's not the Creedmoors fault.

It doesn't take the needmore to bring out the folks you are talking about. There are always people in all activities that show up as experts having never done the activity they are experts in. I had a fellow with an 80K$ Ranger 620 with all the "required" gear pay me to put him on walleyes last Sunday...in my boat. Marketers market, wannabees want to be, and together they drive the economy and create cool stuff. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin, it's not the Creedmoors fault.
I can relate, got on striper boils in our bass boat. I spent like 300 bucks on lures just for big largemouths and stripers when we got the bb. Creep up to the boil and spend 20 minutes throwing about six different lures. Mean time I set up a novice fisherman with a flylined nightcrawler, they almost limited out lol. I switched over to the nightcrawler and we both had fast limits.