Edge speed check

grinnergetter

I have finally got around to working on my Allen 338 edge. My starting loads were 88 gns. of H1000 and I have pushed it to 91 gns. and am now getting ejector marks.

The most I can get out of this rifle is 2560 fps. This is out of a 28 inch Lilja barrel.

91 gns. H1000
Remington brass
Fed 215 primer
300 SMK's
15 thou off the lands
OAL 3.760

I think this seems a bit slow and am wondering if I should just leave it alone or try a new powder. Powder is from 2 years ago.

Also, I am also sure this subject has been beaten to death but everyone else's seems to be faster than mine.

I would appreciate your input, Grin

I dont think that could be right, how are,ucheking it? I beieve u should be I the 2800 fps range

Figures...it's a brand new CED. I guess I'll give them a call. We also shot a 300 Win mag through it and were getting 3300 out of that.

Unfortunately there is nowhere to drop test in my neighborhood.

Thanks everyone.

So the speed has been double and triple checked with 2different crony's. 2540 and 2544 last weekend.
91 gn's shows ejector marks on case and she kicks noticeably harder.

Load:
Rem brass
300 SMK
90gn. H1000
Fed 215 primer
OAL...3.760
Chamber length...3.770
17 rounds down the barrel

I'm thinking either a primer/powder change.

Any suggestions before I change something or what to change to?

Done got me interested now.
1. Has it ever been any faster? If yes how many shots ago? FPS?
2. Have you changed your cleaning plan and or Chems?
3. Have you shot other rounds (different mfg. bullets) without cleaning this time?
..............lightbulb
Order a test package (of known speeds) from Kirby, if~n he does that kind of thing, then you will have an honest speed guage to go by. Just a thought.

Kinda like I can get some 338WM Hornady 185 GMXs at 3,080 ea and I could test old 'Nellie'. Same from Kirby and your gun.

I would try the cci mag primer but that alone can't make that big a difference. Was your two year old powder stored properly? Might need to try a new can. I run 89 grains in my 24" and am about 200 faster. I have heard of slow barrels but one of the components must not be pulling it's weight................ Baffled

T-3

Rifle only has 17 rounds down the barrel and answer is no to the other questions.

D-ID

Powder(8lb) is kept in safe with goldenrod.

Sent Kirby an email...maybe he has an idea?

Grinnergetter, I have broken in six .338 EDGE barrels.All were 30"long. One was a Lilja and for the first hundred or so rounds it was 100 to 150 fps slower than all the rest. Now it shoots about the same speed as the others and is very accurate and consistent. The Lilja is a six groove conventional rifled barrel and the other five are 5R rifling Broughton(2), Obermeyer, Benchmark, and Bartlein. Try Retumbo. Mine shoot 94gr with 300SMK or Berger 300 BOTM. Gary Campbell

Thats horrible velocity for a edge. My 2 338 RUM's shoot 300 gr at 2750 and 2770 with 26 inch barrels.I had some weird lots of H1000 that had bad velocity and weird pressure issues even with many grains under max. Got rid of the H1000 and the problems went away. Tyr RL25 and I bet your not in the 2500's

Well, I suppose I'm going to regroup and start back at the beginning by checking everything.
Knowing myself it is something simple and I usually need to step back look at each peice to see the problem.

Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone.

I would buy a pound of fresh H1000 and run a few first before tinkering with the mechanics of things. If $25 can pick you up 100fps. I would shoot it some more......
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.